Recent Topics

1 Dec 12, 2006 12:58    

well I have installed and customized the blog and am going on to writing some welcome messages - one functional thingy I would still like to change though before the blog goes public is as follows

well the way my blog is organized (and it is a topic blog open to any and all registered users) cross posting among categories would just blow up the blog and make it less enjoyable to view so anyway I would like to not have the same post in more than one category so I would like users to choose the category they think is most suitable for the post they are about to make and then to post it to that category only

so I figure disabling / editing out the 'Extra' column in backoffice where you can check additional categories would be the solution to this

so could this be edited out of the write a post page without affecting any other functionalities so that everything else remains working fine?

guess a basic question but I am uncertain about searching for something in the code on my own not to mention touching the code

(could be edited out for everyone including administrators so without regard to user permissions)

well in case someone here would have instructions on this at his or her fingertips I would appreciate them very much since implementing this change while not absolutely necessary would surely save me some moderation work once the blog is public

(version is 1.8.6)

2 Dec 12, 2006 13:07

in the file conf/_admin.php
second or 3rd setting

3 Dec 12, 2006 13:38

could this forum be any greater? thanks

guess I will find the file on my own in which it says

Select main category in target blog and optionally check additional categories

so that this text info displayed on the write page matches the now available category options

4 Dec 12, 2006 16:33

I realy don't understand you.
When giving the setting a '1'.. the text is automatically adapted...

5 Dec 13, 2006 16:29

for real? strange in my backoffice it has updated the category options column as expected but the text is still the same (so I still have the '1' text after changing to '0') - didn't get to examining this in more detail or looking for where to customize the text so far though - customizing the text that appears there would be nice anyway like writing ONE POST ONE CATEGORY !!!! don't you EVER, EVER make the same post to more than one category in this blog!!!

or something like that :)

6 Dec 13, 2006 22:54

The text above the categories selection area says "...optionally check...", but doesn't the note below the area say that it is currently disabled? Also doesn't it not allow when you set the parameter to 0?

Anyway this is a good thing to clean up because I can see where a blogger might try to follow the first description then tell the admin "your categories don't work correctly because ... ". You can look in the inc/MODEL/items/_item.funcs.php file for the cat_select function and change the text there. Also for my 1.8.6 installation I see where $display_info must be true before that text is even shown, so if someone knows how to make that be false (with a setting in the back office) then you would be able to not display anything there. That might be a better option than hacking a core file eh?

Form is loading...