Recent Topics

1 Jan 03, 2007 17:29    

I'm using b2evolution 0.9.0.11 which is installed in my 1GB disk space personal domain. Since I post a lot, I'm running out of disk space and need to delete oldest material from specific categories. (I have to say that I'm not a tech guy so I cannot change b2evo version because I'll lost all the customization that a tech guy, who is no longer available, did for me in 0.9.0.11 version).

I've tried selecting on month (let's say las May), pickup a post and delete it, and then using the back arrow of my browser and look for another post to be deleted, and so on.

But even though if I try to delete one of those again I got the message that theres's no post to be deleted, when I enter my domain, cPanel > File Manager > LOGS folder, I found for May same amount of disk space taken.

So, where were the deleted posts gone? Would anybody tell me what is the correct procedure to delete posts and get them really gone and freeing disk space?

2 Jan 03, 2007 19:42

The posts are not sotred on your 'space'
So delting posts is not the sulloution for your lack of memory.
Where can you save space with ?
log files
images
skins (but I doubt that, since you are not the one who is tweaking your site)

3 Jan 03, 2007 23:48

Thanks, Topanga.

How can I purged the log files if at least LOGS folders are winzipped?.

After I delete material, I edit an specific log file, which is winzipped and encrypted, and found almost half of it "void" by a line across. I'm sure what is void or crossed are the deleted posts, and I'd like to delete that part but found no way.

I have very few pictures, and all under 96KB. It seems to me impossible that theses pictures are eating so much disk space.

Please, see attached screenshot. First month I purged was May 2006. In the last group of folders it had 9,887KB before the purge; after, it has 1,328. So, it worked. However, June had 3,215KB and after purging it 40,452. Why? What am I supposed to do after purging to reduce that figure?

4 Jan 04, 2007 02:22

Most certainly this is not a b2evolution issue. Your posts are stored in your database, and in the database you can save a lot of space by emptying your hitlog table. If you don't have access to your database via something like phpmyadmin you could also use the back office stats tab and delete hits based on the day using the summary subtab. Way back when that used to be a big hitter.

As to deleting posts: if you delete a post and click your back button you will see the page the browser just had, but that's not the page you would see if you reloaded the page.

Anyway deleting log files from your server isn't really a b2evolution thing. You should probably ask your host about the method to delete them. Having said that: using my cpanel's file manager I select a file I don't want, select delete this file, then click a trash can icon to delete the file. Then again each host can have a slightly different setup and method to get the job done. Therefore you really need to talk to your host.

And upgrade. Too bad about the skin, but your version is an obsolete security risk. You'll lose it one day and it'll be because you refuse to upgrade.

5 Jan 04, 2007 04:26

Thanks, EdB. I think you are right. I have just discovered that what was eating disk space are the FTP and other logs of what I have uploaded to the public area of my domain for my friends to download. That log contains a lot of zipped files whose inside I haven't been able to read clearly, but according to most fragments they contain history that I guess, is of no use today.

What bother me is that after my friends dowloaded those files I deleted them, but for a reason I do not understand, a record of all this operations, and maybe involved files too, is still in my domain logs in zip file shape.

I'm now downloading those zip files and saving them in an external disk, just in case, and deleting them from the domain log to make disk space available. I must be controlling the creation of that logs from now on.

The blog has taken a minimal part of disk space, so I guess I'll have no need to delete material from it in the near future.

Thanks again.

Form is loading...