Recent Topics

1 Sep 10, 2007 10:01    

My b2evolution Version: [2.0a1]

Hi,

If you are reading this then maybe you upgraded your blog to b2evo v2.0a1 and ended up lost skinning it.

Here are a few tips to get back on track.

1) Assuming you made a back-up of all your current b2evo files and DB, restore everything back to your production site.
* If you don't have a back-up, then you really have to makedo with the downtime.
* And next time, create back-ups especially if it's a "major" version upgrade (ie. 2.0.0 = MAJOR.MINOR.FIX respectively)

2) Go to http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html and download XAMPP for your OS (Windows for Win OS, and so on...)

3) Read the XAMPP docs on how to install it and where to put your files (ie DocumentRoot).

4) Make a copy of b2evo 2.0a1 to the DocumentRoot of your XAMPP and install it (eg. http://localhost/b2evo200a1/ )

5) Create/Migrate/Upgrade your skin to Skins 2.0

built-in skins you can use:
custom skin - if you want to skin the old-way (ie one long file entitled index.main.php)
evopress skin - the new way of skinning (ie separating your page's content into different files)

Under custom skin, the only file you will see is index.main.php (and of course stylesheets and images)

Under evopress skin, the following files are:
index.main.php - this is your basic file, more likely than not, you do not need to edit this, as everything is in,
items.main.php - the file that is called to show your blog
page.main.php - I still do not know the use of this one, or "when" this is called
single.main.php - the file that will be called if your visitors are viewing your "posts" ie $disp == single
_body_header.php
_body_footer.php
_sidebar.inc.php

You can also find these files on your /skin/ folder:
/skin/_html_header.php - contains the DOCTYPE down to </head>
/skin/_html_footer.php - contains the closing tags (like </html>)
/skin/_body_header.php - body header or which I prefer to call body_top
/skin/_body_footer.php - body footer or which I prefer to call body_bottom

From there, you'll be fine with Skins2.0.

Oh, and remember to use the Skins2.0 stuff. Do NOT copy & paste your old skins over the new skins. As Skins2.0 features "Widget Containers", similar to what you will find if you check the "layout" feature of blogger.com

Best way of creating/upgrading/migrating your (new) skin:
1) Choose between custom skin (old-style skinning) or evopress skin (new-style skinning)
2) Copy the .php files to your own skin folder
3) Edit the graphics
4) Edit the CSS
5) Test and repeat until you get your basic skin design and layout

Then Phase 2:
1) Optional: Upload your skin to b2evo's skin repository
2) Migrate over your own content
3) You're done!

Hope that helps!!

UPDATE: I'm almost done with my skin upgrade for my blog. After upgrading my blog to v2-alpha1, I will post a more detailed guideline explaining the new files for Skins2.0 using my skin as an example. I did some changes like add new widget-containers (I have 2 Right Sidebar, 1 Bottombar divided to 4 columns), and I changed my index.main.php so that I don't ever have to touch it again. All will be explained on my blog after the upgrade.

---
Now back to my own migration... http://gameshogun.ws/

2 Sep 11, 2007 05:20

There should be no need to do all that:

http://b2evolution.net/news/2007/06/21/skins_2_0
"You can now browse through your skin templates online with the embedded file manager and, should you need to, you can edit any template, and especially any CSS file right in place on the server."

Problem is, the file manager doesn't let me edit the files, only view the .php (not even view the contents of the .css).

Why, and am I stuck with editing offline now?

It would be soooo much quicker the way it was before... :(

3 Sep 11, 2007 06:04

I'm not really a fan of online editing so I can't be sure with the answer I can provide you.

Try making your skins folder and all files in it to CHMOD 777 (though not advisable because it makes all your files "world writable").

If you don't want the risk of CHMOD 777, I do believe you have to edit offline (which in my personal opinion is better).

I don't use the filemanager feature of b2evo, so that's how much I can tell you. There is more "power" in offline editing, and it is more "safe" to test something offline than editing live on your production site. :)

5 Sep 14, 2007 09:43

UPDATE: I'm almost done with my skin upgrade for my blog. After upgrading my blog to v2-alpha1, I will post a more detailed guideline explaining the new files for Skins2.0 using my skin as an example. I did some changes like add new widget-containers (I have 2 Right Sidebar, 1 Bottombar divided to 4 columns), and I changed my index.main.php so that I don't ever have to touch it again. All will be explained on my blog after the upgrade.

Form is loading...