#2 Apr 16, 2008 19:44
It may be time to reconsider that part of b2evo by now.
Do you guys think we should make it all UTF-8 by default?
1) should the mysql tables be created as UTF-8 by default? (I believe most new users will have mysql servers that actually do support utf-8)
2) should we automatically upgrade all databases to UTF-8 in a future release? (might be tricky, I don't know)
3) should we convert all language packs to UTF-8 or at least have an UTF-8 version for each?
4) should we actually discard any language packs that are not UTF8 ?
5) should we make b2evo use UTF8 internally by default, although about 40% to 60% (not really sure yet) of the servers out there do not have the MB_STRING extension installed and therefore will not be able to handle NON ASCII text properly. That means if you blog in english you don't really care about not having MB_STRING, but if you blog with non ascii chars you may need to battle with your host or even switch to another host just to get mb_string.
What do you think?