Recent Topics

1 Jun 07, 2004 00:26    

There are a dozen or more pinging services out there, and pinging each increases traffic and exposure for your blog. However as I found out the hard way, when your system is set up to ping so many services when you post, it really slows things down, especially if one of them is down or not responding. If I wanted slow posting times I'd use a system that made me rebuild.

Anyway, Dougal and I put together a system which allows you to send out a single very fast ping and then we have a system that does the hard work of going out to the different services. With the single ping you also get new services as they add them, fast reponse times, and a few other goodies we're rolling out in the next couple of weeks.

It'd be great if b2evolution supported Pingomatic as its default pinger.

The services takes the exact same format as weblogs.com, so you can just find http://rpc.weblogs.com/RPC2 and replace it with http://rpc.pingomatic.com/ in your code and it should work flawlessly.

Thoughts?

2 Jun 07, 2004 00:42

Good idea, but I think the ability to add pinging services manually has been discussed before, so users can choose whether to use this or not. But this is only my terrible memory, so I could have dreamt it! :oops:

3 allusion Jun 07, 2004 00:53

allusion

If you're impatient and you want this functionality now, go to line 76 of b2evocore/_functions_pings.php and look for:

$client = new xmlrpc_client("/RPC2", "rpc.weblogs.com", 80);

and replace it with

$client = new xmlrpc_client("/", "rpc.pingomatic.com", 80);

That's it. :)

4 allusion Sep 12, 2004 23:37

allusion

Just out of curiosity, did anything ever happen with this? Will be in the next release of b2evo?

5 Sep 13, 2004 00:17

Yes it will be in b2evo when we revamp the pinging process. Can't tell you exactly when that will be... :-/

6 Mar 18, 2005 03:36

How can I add this service without replacing weblogs.com ping? I would like to be able to just ping both for now until I test it out. Can I just copy the entire weblogs.com portion of the .php file and duplicate it using pingomatic? If so, what portion of the code would I need to duplicate?

7 Mar 19, 2005 10:40

You could, but pingomatic pings weblogs.com for you anyway. Look at their website for all the pings they support.

http://pingomatic.com

8 Jul 04, 2005 14:04

I've copied the function and renamed the copy pingPingomatic. Is there a function that calls pingWeblogs (and if so where?) that I need to change to make it call this new one too - or do all the functions in that file just get called in order somehow?

-- Update --
For anyone who finds this thread later...

I found the calls in /blogs/admin/edit_actions.php
and added a line after line 154 to contain a call to my new function.

pingPingomatic($blogparams);

Having said that, the ping hasn't worked yet - b2evo tried but the Pingomatic server didn't respond (and their site did seem to be running quite slowly) - which seems like vindication for still pinging weblogs/technorati etc individually.

9 Aug 07, 2005 09:57

Thank you. Now I just have to fild the PHP file that host the Weblong pinger and chnage it. That's what I really need to know. Again, Thanks. :)

10 Aug 07, 2005 12:35

/blogs/b2evocore/_functions_pings.php

By the way my above solution worked but only if you publish from the post writing/editing screen. The publish now button doesn't call the pingPingomatic function so it must work independently.

11 Aug 07, 2005 12:39

I think I've found it. There are other places in that file you need to add a call to

I just did a find for pingTechnorati
and added the pingPingomatic call on the following line. This ended up adding the new call at lines 155, 283 and 370. I'll let you know if this works.

12 May 16, 2006 16:58

beano wrote:

I think I've found it. There are other places in that file you need to add a call to

I just did a find for pingTechnorati
and added the pingPingomatic call on the following line. This ended up adding the new call at lines 155, 283 and 370. I'll let you know if this works.

Well did it work?

13 May 16, 2006 17:49

Sorry, it did work at the time, but IIRC I copied over the file when I upgraded to 0.9.1 so it's not going at the moment.

If you want to make the changes to the file the way I mentioned above - ie do a find for pingtechnorati and adding the call to the following line - it should work, although if the file's been updated the specific line numbers may have changed.

14 May 24, 2006 16:48

I just wanted to say:

Please add the ability to add "our own specified" pinging services in the admin panel. (this is important)

For those of us that need/want to ping specific services there is no way to do that now without hacking multiple files and the database.

Thanks

15 Jul 27, 2006 03:01

With 1.2 now out, where would the pingomatic statement now go?

16 Oct 06, 2006 16:26

This is a the list of changes you must do to have a 1.8.2 with Ping-O-Matic.

It's on ALPHA testing.

Soon I'll have a full version of "Serenity" with Ping-O-Matic (Install from Scratch or migrate dom 0.9.x)

Keep listening....

Form is loading...