Recent Topics

1 Feb 14, 2008 10:31    

Hi,

The people behind GeenCommentaar.nl are busy with a dutch translation of version 2.x. We are approx. at 50%.

If you would like to contribute yourself, drop me a line, then you'll get a url where you can enter translations that will be automatically added...

2 Feb 14, 2008 12:34

Hi Spuyt12,

from the TU Delft and University of Leiden I have some people that are prepared to help.

4 Feb 14, 2008 13:28

Please mail your address to spuyt12@geencommentaar.nl, then I will give you the url :-)

Will not disclose it here because of possible vandalism :-)

5 Mar 04, 2008 09:13

I would like to help. Can I send a mail to you Spuyt12?

6 Mar 15, 2008 12:21

@all: The translation is nearly finished, but I can't help but notice that there are still a lot of english phrases not translated, also I have the idea that there are a lot of phrases in my language-file that are obsolete.

Is there a list of english phrases that should be translated, so I can match this with our version?

7 Mar 15, 2008 12:56

Hi Spuyt12.

Here's what I know on translation issues: the bits you find in messages.pot are current and valid for the version you got your messages.pot file from, so there should be nothing obsolete in it - FOR THAT VERSION. Hopefully you've worked against 240RC2 or at least 230RC1 ... or at the very least something from the 2.* generation.

The thing is that each release might have a little more added and a few lines removed, so the percentage of completeness of your translation will go down as the versions go up.

Yes there is a fair amount of English you will find when you visit b2evolution (I think especially the back office) even though you have a 100% completed translation. I do not know why that is, and I am fairly certain that over time these little bits get added to the messages.pot file. Unfortunately for the non-English community, it is not the absolute highest priority for the developers to get every single bit of English translatable and into the messages.pot file. Hopefully that is understandable yah?

I know that in SOME cases the primary developer has chosen to specifically NOT include some items in the messages.pot file due to the rarity of encountering the line and the difficulty translators will have in producing a meaningful equivalent. These are typically bizarre and strange little errors that one simply should not encounter ... but have messages anyway to prevent the system from totally crashing.

Disclaimer: I think therefore I get it wrong.

Hope this helps!

8 Apr 08, 2008 12:19

Hi Spuyt21,

can the dutch language pack (as far as it is) been downloaded from somewhere?

9 Mar 03, 2009 20:20

Hi.

I just finished the _global file on spelling checking and making it consistent.
Where can I post it?
Is there a needfor an administrator of this file?
I took me the whole weekend to complete these (almost) 3000 lines so would like to see it used and maintained :)

Corné

11 Mar 04, 2009 11:29

Nice, would have been good to know before I did the check ;) :-/
Can I reverse this process?

I can also see that the .po in poedit does not show all spelling errors I found in the _Global file.

Regards,

Corné

12 Mar 04, 2009 18:39

You can only convert _global.php to .po file if you know regular expressions syntax. Can you upload the file somewhere and post a link to it, I'll try to convert it to .po

13 Mar 04, 2009 21:32

sam2kb,

You should be able to download from www steenvoorden biz
It is my tryout blog site still on an old release ;)
It is the top post there.

Just to give you some more information so you know I appreciate that you helpme out ;)

The old language file was not consistent in the politeness. Meaning, in Dutch we have different ways of speaking to people. The elderly people use polite ways of speaking while the young ones are not so polite.
The differences are:
old vs young
alstublieft - alsjeblieft
U - je
Uw - jouw

And also the special letters like é, ë and ï where not converted correctly and mostly showing up as some weard A sign and ~ and so on.

Thank you very much for giving it a try.
It probably wont help me very much as my Global file is oke now, but I would check it again and post the up to date file for others to use.

The file is used for vanderjagtpr.nl witch is a public relation agency and they might find some more typo's that I could fix using poedit and then post another update later on.

Thank you.

Corné

15 Mar 05, 2009 18:50

sam2kb,

Downed the file and opened it with poedit.
marked one line with ctrl-u and tryed to save the file.
Got next error:

18:41:27: C:\Documents and Settings\corne\Bureaublad\nl_NL\LC_MESSAGES\messages.po:8421: 'msgstr' is not a valid PHP format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: In the directive number 1, the character 'v' is not a valid conversion specifier.
18:41:27: msgfmt: found 1 fatal error

I guess 8421 stands for the line, but that line does not exist.
Line 8420 is % of total witch translates to % van totaal.
On reopening I see the file is saved correcty though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Corné

16 Mar 05, 2009 19:13

and is:

"You are about to delete this comment!\\n
This cannot be undone!"

correct or should this be:

"You are about to delete this comment!\n
This cannot be undone!"

I guess \n is the same as <br /> in html or a return in text if you wish ;-)

17 Mar 05, 2009 19:30

I use poedit 1.4.2 and have no problems opening and saving the file.

Are you sure you didn't remove the space between "%" and "van"?
Try to escape the "%" \%

18 Mar 05, 2009 19:33

Corne wrote:

and is:

"You are about to delete this comment!\\n
This cannot be undone!"

correct or should this be:

"You are about to delete this comment!\n
This cannot be undone!"

I guess \n is the same as <br /> in html or a return in text if you wish ;-)

I agree with you but these strings come from b2evo .pot file, so it might be a bug.

19 Mar 05, 2009 22:03

I use 1.4.2. too.
No, I did not change that line.

That will be an english bug then as I can fix this in the dutch translation right?
Or should I go and edit the _global file anyway to fix this. Or is the _global file filled from some other code?

At least I can use the _global file to pinpoint the fault in a PHP editor. :roll:

I am not a programmer but can read some of the code and therefore fix some as well.

Anyway, I will start a thread in the Dutch part of this forum to ask for some help in translating as some of the UK language is not that easy to translate if you do not know where it is used. And my b2evo knowledge is about 2 weeks now :)

Thank you for your help so far! B)
I would like to ask you to hang around so I can ask some more if needed ;)

PS
Where do I post if this is a BUG?

20 Mar 05, 2009 22:14

Where do I post if this is a BUG?

In [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net//viewforum.php?f=47]bug reports forum[/url] :-/

Anyway, I will start a thread in the Dutch part of this forum to ask for some help in translating as some of the UK language is not that easy to translate if you do not know where it is used. And my b2evo knowledge is about 2 weeks now

There's an option in poedit to view the source code of selected string. Download b2evo 2.4.6 and put your translation in locales folder, then rightclick on the string in poedit.

21 Mar 05, 2009 22:29

You did translate b2evo to russian right?
All thousands of lines?

I respect you if you did.

I might just install b2evo local. Not sure yet. Maybe finish translating first and leave the parts that are unsure.

Thanks,

Corné

22 Mar 05, 2009 22:48

I didn't translate everything, but I did revise all the lines and translate untranslated bits.

You don't have to install b2evo to view the source, just put nl_NL in locales folder and poedit will do all the magic.

23 Mar 06, 2009 22:30

That deserves respect too ;)
That right click works but is not what is going to help me.
I was looking for the more graphical part.

Let's see if there are some Dutch people willing to help me out.
How to translate 'sidebar' to Dutch.
I would say 'neven menu'.
Any other suggestion?

And how about 'regular post'?
'regulier bericht' or 'normaal bericht'?

24 Mar 06, 2009 23:35

http://demo.b2evolution.net/ is a demo that might help you find the bits you are unsure of the context for.

Also fplanque somewhere wrote that b2evo is moving to a more formal CMS type of package, so - if this helps - choose the more formal way of saying something. I don't know anything about 'regulier bericht' or 'normaal bericht' but hey one might be more formal and the other more ... everyday friendly?

Finally I would say if you are unsure then it is okay to give it your best guess OR to leave it untranslated. Perhaps another user will one day be able to help you with a few more strings eh?

25 Mar 07, 2009 15:11

EdB,
Thank you for the reply.
I was in the process of making it more formal (polite) then it was before. The old translation file had formal and casual mixed up. And yes, I will give it my best try and leave comments where I think I missed the proper translation.

Corne

26 Mar 07, 2009 19:57

I have the feeling that things between <> like <!--more--> should not be translated. :oops:

27 Mar 07, 2009 20:59

Corne wrote:

I have the feeling that things between <> like <!--more--> should not be translated. :oops:

True. Also if you come across something like $owner$ that would not be translated.

BTW <!--more--> is how you can make a post have "read more..." after the first paragraph of your blog post. So it (and a few others like it) need to be treated as code. $owner$ would become the blog owner's name by the time it gets to the visitor looking at the page.

28 Mar 07, 2009 21:34

I should have known. I will find those typo's later ;)
Is there a way to do find and replace in poedit?
I can not find it.

29 Mar 07, 2009 22:41

Hi Corne,

You can load the .po file in any text editor. I use scite for really large files.

Good luck

30 Mar 08, 2009 10:51

Oke, I think I know all there is to know about translating now.
I will open a topic in the Dutch forum for helper translaters. ;)
So all readers, please help me in this not so small task :D

Form is loading...