Recent Topics

1 Feb 17, 2008 15:56    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

I'm setting up a set of blogs for a creative writing class. I'd like to have each version of a posting stored so that we can see the development of a story.

Any ideas how this could be achieved. What I mean is each time a user hits [save] then the posting is stored somewhere and is not overwritten by the next edit session. Could be this RSS or some sort of ping? One thing that might make it difficult is that all postings will be "protected" and not published until the stories are complete.

2 Feb 17, 2008 16:18

It'd take a tad of pissing around but you could code a plugin that takes any "saves" for an existing post and basically duplicates it, sets it's status to "deprecated" and sets the date_created ( or whatever it's called ) == to the date created for the current post and then saves it to the database.

Then change the date created for the current post == "now".

The result would be that the deprecated posts would be in historical order and posted for the correct time they were actually written and the current version of the post would be at the top of the list and can be any status you desire and will have a cool permalink, unlike the deprecated posts

¥

3 Feb 17, 2008 22:57

Wouldn't you be better off with a wiki? That's kinda how they work anyway.

4 Feb 17, 2008 23:05

chose not to go with a wiki as they're not collaborating on writing and the end product would be to bring in the stories into B2 Evo and future date their finished chapters so one a week gets released and people can subscribe to the stories

5 Feb 17, 2008 23:16

Sounds like a really interesting project! :)
I reckon if you build that plug-in it might find some uses elsewhere, although if you're going to those lengths, better to make a 2.x plug-in so it'll be (more) future-proof.

6 Feb 17, 2008 23:23

I'm setting up the project now at http://www.tvcm.co.uk/b2/tvcw

I'm not sure about building a plugin - I think a simpler way may present itself - like for instance I feed one of my blogs into a drupal and it collects the posting every tIme I save it. Bad for that project but just what I want for this. Only thing is - if the post is in protected mode it does not go to the drupal. These posts will initially be in protected mode

7 Feb 18, 2008 00:05

coding this as a plugin probably sounds far harder than the reality ;)

you *might* be able to add it to drupal by adding the user/pass to the rss feed you use ( not particularly advised, but *almost* acceptable if it's for internal use only ) ie/ http://domain.com/?tempskin=_rss2&user=foo&pass=bar ... ish

¥

8 Feb 18, 2008 10:25

would it be possible for each itteration of a posting to stay in the Blog All an the new version get's written each time a post is saved

9 Feb 18, 2008 18:13

You've lost me a tad with your question, if you save the historic copies as protected instead of deprecated then they'd still show in whatever blog to logged in members of that blog

¥

Form is loading...