Recent Topics

1 Feb 19, 2008 11:46    

This plugin is exactly what I need for my b2evolution thing. However, the link doesn't work !

Can anybody help, please ?

2 Feb 19, 2008 11:48

Hi dk,

Welcome to the forums.
Which plugin are you referring to?

Afwas

3 Feb 19, 2008 11:54

Thx - I'm referring to the plugin called "Category behavior" by François Planque.

4 Feb 19, 2008 11:58

Hi dk,

That's a 0.9 plugin and it's no longer available. However, the possibility for searching and multiple selection in categories is standard in all later versions of B2evo. I'll have a look and report later.

Afwas

5 Feb 19, 2008 12:07

Ok, thx again.

I've got an old version running.....since I'm afraid of loosing it all (very much) if trying to upgrade...

6 Feb 19, 2008 12:20

OK, let's hope some one has a copy in some backup still laying around.

7 Feb 19, 2008 16:14

Backup your database and files, then upgrade to 1.10.3 and you should be fine. I'm not sure exactly where the cutoff is, but upgrading from really old stuff stops being supported so you really want to upgrade as soon as possible.

Backing up the database means you don't lose anything - except hacks. Your posts and comments are all in the database is what I mean.

8 Feb 20, 2008 11:35

I just found out that my version is "b2evolution 0.9.1" and I'll see if I can find out how to upgrade.....

But....I also installed a newer version "b2evolution 1.10.2" some time ago and I don't see that the "category behavor" thing is working here ? It doesn't even have the checkboxes in the category list ?

What I want (for my old version, when upgraded) is the function described along with the plugin/hack "Category behavior":

"This hack changes the way items are returned when readers select multiple categories using the checkboxes in the category list. The default behavior is to return posts that are assigned to any of the checked categories. This hack allows you (or the reader) to make the blog only return posts that match all of the selected categories. You can see it in action here at the Plugins Repository. If you want to find all of the rendering hacks for version 0.9.0.x, you could select those three categories, and the list would only return posts that matched all three"

How can I get to this point in a more recent version, say "b2evolution 1.10.2" ?? I mean, a function that makes the blog return (not either/or but) both/and posts ?

9 Feb 20, 2008 13:50

Sorry, but until someone decides to make it happen again, and if someone does it'll probably be for v2.*, that hack is gone.

I'm surprised the plugins page still includes hacks for a completely dead generation!

Anyway you should upgrade anyway.

10 Apr 09, 2008 22:41

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

2.0.4-rc2

I am using the more advanced Category search in my sidebar, by checking "Add checkboxes to allow selection of multiple categories." in the widget control panel under the Category list widget.

This displays nicely and allows the user to selet multiple categories to seach on, and the ANY, ANY BUT, ALL options. However, no button. You can't use it without the button!

Ideas?

Jason

11 Apr 17, 2008 17:09

Afwas wrote:

Hi dk,

That's a 0.9 plugin and it's no longer available. However, the possibility for searching and multiple selection in categories is standard in all later versions of B2evo. I'll have a look and report later.

Afwas

I just upgraded to the newest version (2.4.1) and in my Plugins install tab, the categories_plugin has a purple exclamation on it - then when I click to edit it, I get this error:

Plugin class file [plugins/_categories.plugin.php] is not readable!

So is there, or is there not, a plugin in the most current version that will allow readers to select/search multiple categories at one time (like we can do in backoffice)?

12 Apr 17, 2008 23:59

sheesh, catch up with the modern way already :roll: ... the categories plugin is now a core widget, so feel free to nuke it from your plugins list ... then wander over to admin> blog settings > [blog] > cool new widgets tab > install new ( on the container of your choice .... another new fangled item ) and behold the wonders of the categories widget ... amongst other cool new widgets

If I hadn't gottten 10 hours sleep last night I'd still be a ratty arse, so thanks for waiting for 3 hours before you finished re-uploading yer folder, it gave me time to nod off ;)

¥

13 Apr 18, 2008 13:01

Well, I guess I meant plugin or widget - still getting caught up with all the new stuff, LOL!!! I do love everything I've seen so far...

14 Apr 18, 2008 18:09

Okay, I found the widget (already there) and I selected the "show checkmarks" for multiple selections...but I must be blind, how do you say "submit" to get your selections to come up? I don't see any such button?

There IS a "search" button after the blank search box, but that's all I see...??? And that only works for searching for text, not categories.

15 Apr 18, 2008 22:52

Okay, it appears I don't have the "get selection" button.

16 Apr 19, 2008 00:38

Itś a feature not a bug. I warn you, don't call it a bug.

19 Apr 19, 2008 01:37

I guess that means I should go post, LOL. I was hoping it was MY error and not a glitch. ;)

21 Apr 19, 2008 03:32

You couldn't have posted that first, LOL? So I didn't look stupid? ;) I even did a search first and didn't see it. Hmph.

/off to work on the fix

22 Apr 19, 2008 03:53

Let me explain just a little.
This is a very old issue, at least from version 1.6 but we stopped searching there. It turns out this is the case:
The developers planned a search not limited to a single widget. So you might want to add another widget, say the blogs or the authors and now you want to search for a particular category *and* a particular author. The only problem is that the opening form must be before the first selectors and the submit button together with the closing form tag must be after the last widget.
Well, that's all planned and on some ones TODO list and all, you get the idea.
So what you see in the Categories widget is exactly what is needed there: the select boxes. The submit button isn't supposed to be there.
So for you until the dev team has sorted their ideas out, you can easily add the button yourself. Remember, it's a hack, so if you upgrade again, check whether there's a button or not.

I was wondering, you might add the hack code in two new FreeHTML buttons and place one before and one after the Categories widget. I don't see why that shouldn't work. But I didn't test ;)

Good luck

23 Apr 19, 2008 03:57

Afwas wrote:

I was wondering, you might add the hack code in two new FreeHTML buttons and place one before and one after the Categories widget. I don't see why that shouldn't work. But I didn't test ;)

Good luck

Well, that helps, believe it or not. I was just getting ready to post in the other thread, asking where the heck to put that code. I opened up the /blog/inc/widgets/widgets/_coll_category_list.widget.php file assuming it was supposed to go somewhere in there!

So, I can take the php code and put it in the use-as-you-choose HTML boxes? I know nothing about php... but will test that!

24 Apr 19, 2008 04:03

I sorry that won't work, you are right it's PHP.
I'll make some custom widgets. Can do that tomorrow.

25 Apr 19, 2008 04:04

Nope, doesn't work...but it's completely possible I did something wrong.

WHAT I DID:

Copied this:

// start First part of Add Missing SubmitButton hack by Afwas
        if( $this->disp_params['use_form'] )
        {    // We want to add form fields:
            $bblogUrl = $Blog->gen_blogurl();
            echo'<form action="'.$bblogUrl.'" method="post">'; 

}
        // end first part of hack

into the Free HTML widget and placed it immediately before the Category widget.

Then I copied this:

<!-- Second part of Add Missing SubmitButton hack by Afwas -->
              <br /><br />
              <input name="submit" class="submit" value="Get selection" type="submit">
              </form>
            <!-- End hack by Afwas --> 

into a second Free HTML widget immediately after the Category widget.

The first box shows up as text. The second box gives me a "Get selection" button, but I'm guessing since the first part is messed up, you get an error when you click it.

26 Apr 19, 2008 04:06

Custom widgets, woohoo. But no rush. Really. I need to step away from the blog soon otherwise I might go mad. :)

Form is loading...