Recent Topics

1 Feb 26, 2008 16:24    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi,

I am wondering if the following is possible:

- our visitors can log in and subscribe using admin.php (or an alternative)
- when users have permission to go to the backoffice they are redirected there, else they are redirected to the frontpage (index.php), instead of the "no access" screen.
- users are allowed to edit their own comments (and only their own comments)
- The toolbar will not be visible to them (as it is of no added value).

Could this be done without hacking the system too much? :-)

(I am now working with 2.3)

I hope some of the b2Evo-gods can take a look into this. :-)

Regards!

2 Feb 28, 2008 13:02

Doesn't anyone know something about this? I find this hard to believe :-)

3 Mar 11, 2008 13:41

Ping 2: Are there no people who know something about this?

4 Mar 11, 2008 15:57

Apparently not. I mean, if someone had something to offer they probably would have, so getting no answer typically means no one has an answer to give. The best I can offer, and didn't see fit to type this because it doesn't help, is "yeah that sounds like a fair amount of hacking to me".

Sorry, but sometimes questions are such that no one has a good (helpful!) answer.

5 Mar 11, 2008 16:02

That ppl don't answer doesn't mean that there is no one who knows. That's why I try a few times.

Besides, I'd like to mindstorm a little about the possibilities about how to "hack" this into the system WITH the possibility that it would be added to a future version.

For example, the redirect to the frontpage instead of the backoffice sounds like a good plan to me, as it is not really usefull to be redirected to a page with "you don't have access".

6 Mar 11, 2008 16:05

OTOH what's the sense in registering with a blog if you're not going to be posting in the blog? I mean, from a core perspective how valuable is it to worry about an installation where registered bloggers can't blog?

7 Mar 11, 2008 16:13

I'd like to make a distinction between "passers by" and regular visitors. For example, the latter should be able to change their own comments.

But these people should not be allowed to blog.

It would also make a nice anti-spam measure...

8 Mar 11, 2008 16:56

- our visitors can log in and subscribe using admin.php (or an alternative) .... enable registration in your settings
- when users have permission to go to the backoffice they are redirected there, else they are redirected to the frontpage (index.php), instead of the "no access" screen. - either allow or dissallow "no admin access" && "visible link" in your settings
- users are allowed to edit their own comments (and only their own comments) - you'd need to hack that
- The toolbar will not be visible to them (as it is of no added value). - either remove the toolbar from the skin or check if the user has admin access before displaying it

¥

9 Mar 11, 2008 17:06

Spuyt12 wrote:

I'd like to make a distinction between "passers by" and regular visitors. For example, the latter should be able to change their own comments.

But these people should not be allowed to blog.

It would also make a nice anti-spam measure...

Hi Spuyt12, though I cannot be for certain..JUST YET I actually haven't had any passerbys sign up with me yet and the fact that my blog has only been up for 3 days I can't really say but...I wanted to let people other than myself be able to blog because I felt their opinion is just as important than mine and we all can be heard. I set all new users levels to one. Under the user tabs I set the basic users permissions to basically no view except on blog. I just tested it out and when a new user signs up and they go to log in it will say that "since you are a new user, you'll have to wait for an admin to authorize you to post. You can also e-mail the admin to ask for a promotion. When you're promoted, just reload this page and you'll be able to blog. :) . However I am using 1.10.3 version of b2evo so I can't really say if that will be the same on 2.4 but the thing I suggest is to fiddle with the user permissions and only allow what you want them to use. I hope that may have helped you a little. :D

10 Mar 11, 2008 17:11

Thanks ¥åßßå!

Especially the third point is usefull... :-)

The hacking would be quite extensive, I reckon.

I could extend the "Edit posts / user level" options to also include comments...

Or is it simpler than I thought?

12 Mar 11, 2008 17:19

The chances are that you could code a plugin that checks if the user is either a blog admin or the comment author before it allows editing.

If you do code it let me know cos I need one myself and hadn't got round to coding it yet ..... ohhh I also need to be able to restrict the time after posting that they're allowed to edit .... and preferably keep some form of edit count .... and the name of the last editor

It should be possible to do from a plugin though ;)

¥

13 Mar 11, 2008 17:36

Spuyt12 wrote:

@strictlybusiness: Thanks for the reply. It is not what I want, but your input is appreciated :)

Not a problem. I am also in the learning stages of everything. That is one thing I want to allow my visitors to be capable of doing without being able to hack into or just utterly destroying something.

Form is loading...