Recent Topics

1 Mar 03, 2008 12:15    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

I am assuming that it is possible to use a font which a reader may not have installed on his computer. I assume this because one of the skins has its own font in the zip file and it is not one that is normally bundled with windows. If it is possible can anyone give me some guidance on where it should reside and how do I link to it in the css etc? Is there a plug in I should use? Thank you.

2 Mar 03, 2008 13:23

Hi nicodemus,

There are a few skins that use the replacement.js javascript. Wastepaper is one of them.
Originally EdB made a skin with this technique called Basin. Later ¥åßßå made a modification on the technique that no longer relies on JS but instead lets php handle the font replacemet serverside. There must be a post in this forum, but i never found that one.
This is the article describing Dynamic text replacement: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext

This information should get you going. Do visit the forums again if you have subsequent questions.

Good luck

3 Mar 03, 2008 13:46

Actually personman made the basin skin. :D Before that was the London skin by ... graham way back in the day. All I ever did with basin was make it so that it (a) stored the images it created and (b) only ran the javascript when I was logged in. I guess (c) is that since I stored the image after I triggered it's creation I delivered the image to any visitor after me so they didn't even see the span tags that trigger the javascript to create the image. I didn't know Yabba did a php-only method. That Yabba fella has his moments eh?

Anyway yeah you can't force a font on someone but you can re-write your entire post to be done with images that use a font that the visitor may or may not have. Your server will work harder than a two dollar whore when the fleet pulls in, but you would be able to force a font on someone.

5 Mar 03, 2008 23:27

That thread is a great example of how to write crisply focused forum posts :roll:

So yeah I'm like a politician I guess. Given that I actually see the evidence with my own eyes I'm inclined to think that discussion actually happened, though I don't recall it and will have my staff review it to see if in fact it can be spun to my advantage before I acknowledge it as real reality.

Never did follow up on it though. Like most stuff I do here yah?

6 Mar 03, 2008 23:29

I'd vote for yah .... even though it'd achieve nothing ;)

¥

7 Mar 04, 2008 15:08

Thanks guys, that was fascinating stuff. And to think it was triggered by my dumb ass question! Think I'll just skip the idea though on the grounds that:
(a) I've used a few two-dollar whores myself and know how they perform after the ship has been in and
(b) It's way above my head.
Shame though, I really like the idea of a blog that looks hand written like with a Brush Script or similar.
But thanks again. I really appreciate the help I get here.

Form is loading...