Recent Topics

1 Mar 09, 2008 17:19    

Ok, we've been playing with the new forums and we're pretty much ready to go.

Before we do we thought we'd give y'all a chance to bitch at the colours and fonts and other life threatening stuff like that. So, if you want to claim the soapbox then you can find the test forums here ( [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/beta/]beta forums[/url] )

In particular you might like to make sure that code is readable ( [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/beta/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14407&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a]Post full of code[/url] ) ..... the smarter ones amongst you will probably recognise the highlighter ;)

So, step up and bitch away :D

¥

2 Mar 09, 2008 18:07

headers messed up a tad (text and bg)

using PX for font sizing is not ideal

the post'o-code is cool :D but the font size is a tad too large and there's no way to reduce it (the font size thing has a funky behavior ... you think the V would reduce size and ^ increase, but it acts more like a toggle).

Rest looks like a forum to me! :D

3 Mar 09, 2008 18:37

Header and footer both still need work to make them the same as this version.

The majority of the layout/look is just the standard installs skin .... there's shedloads I'd like to change about it, but that can wait for another day ;)

I'm not gonna mention how much of a bitch it was to get their code to understand that we can highlight code better :roll: ... I've reduced the font-size

Does look a smidge like a forum huh? ;)

Other stuff, most of the sub-forums are currently in the wrong place. They're all changes that need making in the settings though so we're leaving them "as is" until we upgrade for real .... I'm blonde and the time spent duplicating effort can be put to much better use .... like beer and stuff ;)

¥

4 Mar 09, 2008 19:47

Well done! Russian titles seem to work fine.
I hope you won't disable avatars ;)

5 Mar 09, 2008 20:09

sam2kb wrote:

Well done! Russian titles seem to work fine.

ahhh, one of the settings we did change was to copy+paste (.... ohhh, I suddenly feel like an aussie, they're renowned for being [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=10462&start=24]copy+paste experts[/url] :roll: ) the russian forum name/description because it got royally screwed by the upgrade process ..... that was the good news .... the bad news is, when we upgrade for real there's gonna be a fair few posts/comments with screwed russian .... so we kinda need a dedicated russian mod to go edit and correct ( note to self : remember to leave a copy of pre-upgrade forums somewhere ..... mainly so a dedicated russian mod can join the copy+paste brigade ) them .... I don't suppose you can think of a volunteer offhand? :roll:

Here's hoping that avatars and stuff stay there, although flash and stuff will be disabled ... once we're not duplicating effort by changing settings that can wait until they don't encroach on "beer and stuff" time ;)

¥

6 Mar 09, 2008 20:30

You're currently using and old db in new forum, but since I got an edit perms there are many posts which I already fixed (not in old db).
When you grab a fresh db I'll rename all titles in Russian forum.

EDIT: There are no posts with wrong encoding in Rus forum now.

7 Mar 09, 2008 21:47

Browser font size works as one would expect, but the wierd little button seems to do it's job - though it is not intuitive what it's job will be.

The b2evo header thing trapped in a rounded corner rectangle looks like poo.

What's the difference between save and submit, if any?

8 Mar 09, 2008 23:09

Well apart from typical blondes, who are always [URL=http://wow-factor.com/index.php/flash-test]hard[/url] to [URL=http://wow-factor.com/index.php?disp=feed]satisify[/URL]

9th Jan 2008 update: Flash addition.
Credit to ¥åßßå at http://innervisions.org.uk/
for the Flash preg_replace code and related function objecttag JS

I think the new version of phpBB is terrific.
I would prefer that the top Breadcrumb/Search panel be swapped with the User CP/Login/FAQ panel.

9 Mar 09, 2008 23:38

last line "b2evolution is maintained by .... " is smashed up against the left side like it's trying to avoid something on the right.

Agreement with John re the top bits, but to me it's more than that. Like, the cute blue box looks out of place above the thread title section. Something up there just doesn't seem right to me... Something about the "reply search posts pages" line being up top seems wrong... It, with the exception of search, is duplicated under the posts so why not drop it off the top and add the search box to the bottom?

Anyway I dunno but it looks to me like something is just a little sloppy up there.

Oh and totally love how everything that was on the left is now on the right :roll:

10 Mar 10, 2008 11:43

sam2kb wrote:

EDIT: There are no posts with wrong encoding in Rus forum now.

Bob on, thanks :D

EdB wrote:

The b2evo header thing trapped in a rounded corner rectangle looks like poo.

Fixed ;)

EdB wrote:

What's the difference between save and submit, if any?

Save allows you to save a draft ... dunno if that'll be disabled or not, seems a bit pointless

John wrote:

I would prefer that the top Breadcrumb/Search panel be swapped with the User CP/Login/FAQ panel.

Done ;)

EdB wrote:

last line "b2evolution is maintained by .... " is smashed up against the left side like it's trying to avoid something on the right.

Yeah I just threw the code in at the last minute and couldn't be arsed adding the styles whilst I was at it. Fixed ;)

EdB wrote:

Agreement with John re the top bits, but to me it's more than that. Like, the cute blue box looks out of place above the thread title section. Something up there just doesn't seem right to me... Something about the "reply search posts pages" line being up top seems wrong... It, with the exception of search, is duplicated under the posts so why not drop it off the top and add the search box to the bottom?

Anyway I dunno but it looks to me like something is just a little sloppy up there.

Draw me a picture, I'm brain dead with getting it working so far so be gentle ;)

EdB wrote:

Oh and totally love how everything that was on the left is now on the right :roll:

Lol yeah, nothing like a complete change to wake yah up huh? Fixed ;)

Keep 'em coming ;)

¥

11 Mar 10, 2008 11:49

@ ¥åßßå

Thanks for swapping the top blue panels...
you just need to put the words "Advanced Search" next to the search box and save some real estate :)

12 Mar 10, 2008 11:52

lol, ffs, give an inch take a mile :|

Done ;)

¥

13 Mar 10, 2008 12:18

"ask for an inch, get a mile" - much better :)

14 Mar 10, 2008 12:35

Saved you some more real estate ;)

¥

15 Mar 10, 2008 12:40

Great... and I think the location and groupings are just about spot on.

16 Mar 10, 2008 15:25

Okay lookin' good. Did it log me out due to technical considerations, or is it set up to do that just to be mean? I like seeing some of the space above the "official header buttons" getting used too by the way.

17 Mar 10, 2008 17:40

I've no idea why it logged you out, maybe a cookie thing or summat

Those of you who have a more refined sense of taste may wish to try the evo dark skin in your profiles ;)

¥

18 Mar 10, 2008 20:51

Runs for the sunglasses before trying

19 Mar 11, 2008 18:55

For an Aussie you take a hell of a long time to find a pair of shades :|

¥

20 Mar 11, 2008 19:28

For an Aussie it takes me a hell of a lot of time to find anything...

What's the ETA for the launch of the upgrade?

21 Mar 11, 2008 19:43

No worries mate, modern women keep telling us that size doesn't matter, you take your time ;)

ETA is more like WWR ( when whoo remembers ) ;)

¥

22 Mar 17, 2008 09:12

...because we don't have 2 anymore.

Thanks to John the uncertain for pointing me to this thread.

1) I find it strange that the B2Evolution logo in the header dynamically jumps across the page (like it is indenting itself) with resizing that part of the page

2) and strange that using the ctrl + or - only resizes the frame that you are in.

3) The font size of a post is still huge on the extreme 'ctrl -' setting, if this in fact affects it at all

4) I got an anomaly with the submit new topic button - I can only see up to the letter 'c' on the button and know there is more to it that ie the rounded edges at least.

5) I really like the blue colourway

6) Like the Find a Member option under the Compose a Message in the Profiles section and Friends and Foes

7) Interesting... the section on Friends and Foes! Why would you need this?

8) User control panel looks quite usable in general. Like all new things it will take time to feel comfortable. Lots of options.

9) Is there going to be a skype option under the user profiles?

10) Lots of forum sub topics in the board index.

11) Whats the difference between Plugins/Hacks and Plugin Development Assistance? Could the later be sub'ed under the former along with Request a Plugin?

12) And Spamhaus nested in Fighting Spam?

Just thinking with 11 and 12 that this may give a slightly better flow? Not wanting to offend anyone of course. Just think that it is easier for a query to be qualified in a directory-like fashion (hierarchical) rather than a flat organisational structure.

Ok, thats it for now, I've got to go titivate my blog.

PS I really respect the people who have put the time and effort into B2Evolution. It would be groovy to have a mug-shot of the mainstays along with a link to your profiles somewhere perhaps off the Main board or somehow else denoted in your User Profile (but most of the time this relates only to the Forum admin and not to the product developers, doesn't it).

23 Mar 17, 2008 13:23

I wish I hadn't asked :p

1) It does? shhh don't tell FG or we'll never get upgraded ;)

2 & 3, the default skin use px for font sizes, I've not killed them yet ;)

4) What browser are you using?

5) yay :D

6, 7, 8, 9 The control panels and options are liable to change after we upgrade as they're settings in admin and I couldn't be arsed doing them twice :p

10, 12 Similar to the control panel, I haven't bothered nesting the sub forums as it'd need redoing after the upgrade

11 plugins/hacks is for released plugins/hacks, plugin development assistance is for help with coding a plugin, request a plugin if for people to ask someone to code a plugin/hack ..... clear as mud when it's not nested ;)

You can normally tell the mainstays by date joined and post count .... and you really wouldn't want my mugshot anywhere on teh board ;)

¥

24 Mar 17, 2008 20:22

Ask and you will receive!

4) Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12

Hopefully you will be able to see this screenshot..
http://7doves.com/images/newforumsesrchbutton.png

6,7,8,9) Please don't change them too much. Some of us like choices and are mature enough to make them for ourselves!

You mug-shot has got to be better than 1001 people asking you what your avatar is, wouldn't it. Or do you like a wee bit of suspense and mystery?! [By mainstays I was meaning the people who have over time developed the software rather than just the awesome forum contributors.]

25 Mar 18, 2008 01:38

some of you may be mature -- thats not the point :) Attempts at friendliness have to be tempered with keeping this place looking like a support forum and not gaia online.

Form is loading...