Recent Topics

1 Apr 06, 2008 12:53    

My b2evolution Version:2.4.1?

i was hoping to have this question answer: how do you make tags searchable. It seems that the title and the text in the post is searchable but the tags that i assign to it are not included in the search results. I look in the widget folder and had no luck. I cant seem to find where i could, or how i should modify the code to accept tags as well as titles and post contents

Thanks

-Mocha

*edit*
Removes "myspace user" type styling :|

2 Apr 06, 2008 13:32

Tag cloud will list all tags in your posts. When you click on a tag it will list those posts.

If you allowed the search box to search tags I think you would end up with a lot of "sorry none found"

3 Apr 06, 2008 17:55

Your message really didn't warrant big red text huh? :|

¥

4 Apr 06, 2008 19:28

maybe it didn't...i'm so used to writing that as my signature text on other forums that i kind of get into the habit of automatically using it!

But on the making tags searchable, i was merely talking about including within the scope of the search function tags. So that if someone searches "bald" and it does not appear in the post content categories nor titles but it appears in tags because it is a related word that the search function can still pick it up and display the posts with the Tag.

5 Apr 06, 2008 19:30

sims wrote:

Tag cloud will list all tags in your posts. When you click on a tag it will list those posts.

If you allowed the search box to search tags I think you would end up with a lot of "sorry none found"

the tag cloud only lists some of the tags and i have well over 100 posts with different tags and my tag cloud consists of about 50 words...the math just doesn't add up for me

6 Apr 06, 2008 20:29

Try going into your widget settings for the tag cloud and change the 'max # tags' settings to a higher number.

do you have a link to show? as you can always put your tag cloud in a different container and not just on the side bar.

7 Apr 06, 2008 23:01

this link is NSFW (not safe for work) [url=http://blog.mocha-delight.com] Mocha Blog[/url] and i recently changed the tags to redirect to the search function. The problem is...the tags aren't searchable.

thanks!

-mocha

8 Apr 07, 2008 01:04

Searching in the tag list has been asked for before, but not implemented AFAIK. Other than the hack you mentioned - creating a search link out of tags.

I think the correctest answer is to increase the number of tags in your tag cloud, but also to understand that tags simply are not a search mechanism. Tagging posts tells your visitor what is a frequently discussed topic on your blog - NOT what words will be found via a search function. So you could easily tag a post with "politics" and never actually use that word in your post. If you always post about politics then it's a silly tag yah? But that is getting a bit deeper than I intended to...

Anyway also re-using existing tags matters a lot for a tag cloud because the size of the tag is relative to it's frequency of use. So the tag cloud is giving the visitor completely different information than a search function would. To go back to the "politics" example: searching for that word might reveal that it is never used, but if it's big in the sidebar then it is a frequently blogged topic - and your visitors will find your posts about politics. ... Unless you turn the tag cloud into a search function.

9 Apr 07, 2008 02:33

EdB wrote:

Searching in the tag list has been asked for before, but not implemented AFAIK. Other than the hack you mentioned - creating a search link out of tags.

I think the correctest answer is to increase the number of tags in your tag cloud, but also to understand that tags simply are not a search mechanism. Tagging posts tells your visitor what is a frequently discussed topic on your blog - NOT what words will be found via a search function. So you could easily tag a post with "politics" and never actually use that word in your post. If you always post about politics then it's a silly tag yah? But that is getting a bit deeper than I intended to...

Anyway also re-using existing tags matters a lot for a tag cloud because the size of the tag is relative to it's frequency of use. So the tag cloud is giving the visitor completely different information than a search function would. To go back to the "politics" example: searching for that word might reveal that it is never used, but if it's big in the sidebar then it is a frequently blogged topic - and your visitors will find your posts about politics. ... Unless you turn the tag cloud into a search function.

i guess its no big deal i can deal with it...thanks anyways...i might do a hack for that soon (so look out!)

10 Apr 09, 2008 02:03

Yes the search scope needs to be extended so that it also searches on tags. That's on the todo list :]

On a related note: would it make more sense if the search results displayed a list of posts with just titles instead of a default blog page?

11 Apr 09, 2008 10:40

I could live with a page with only the titles.
Especially if your posts are long, that makes sence.
But if the result is a list with all the pre-<!more>-text, I can live with that too.
Both make sence to me

12 Apr 09, 2008 10:42

It would make even more sense if it was a disp page ;)

¥

13 Apr 09, 2008 10:45

¥åßßå wrote:

It would make even more sense if it was a disp page ;)

¥

Why do I even bother answering, when Yabba answers are allways better and best ? ;)

14 Apr 11, 2008 03:56

fplanque wrote:

Yes the search scope needs to be extended so that it also searches on tags. That's on the todo list :]

On a related note: would it make more sense if the search results displayed a list of posts with just titles instead of a default blog page?

yes that would make sense, (sorry for the disappearance, heavy immersion into php coding again) but if there are five or less results and the list would be short you can display the posts.

15 Apr 11, 2008 04:14

fplanque wrote:

... On a related note: would it make more sense if the search results displayed a list of posts with just titles instead of a default blog page?

Optionally selected in the back office would be, to me, ideal. Like "search what" with checkboxes for 'titles' and 'text' and 'tags'.

16 Apr 11, 2008 04:42

EdB wrote:

fplanque wrote:

... On a related note: would it make more sense if the search results displayed a list of posts with just titles instead of a default blog page?

Optionally selected in the back office would be, to me, ideal. Like "search what" with checkboxes for 'titles' and 'text' and 'tags'.

you just want everything EdB! But I agree with you, i'm working on building a more dynamic user friendly blog system. Finding things is the most important things to users i've been hearing...so yeah that's a big topic for me.

17 Apr 11, 2008 17:14

EdB wrote:

The question was more about "display what (as result)?" rather than "search what?".

Display:
- full posts (as it is now)
- excerpts
- just titles

Assuming we have a selection in the backoffice, what would be the best default option?

18 Apr 11, 2008 17:31

the best default : as it is now
with an easy selection for 'titles'

19 Apr 12, 2008 00:20

fplanque wrote:

EdB wrote:

The question was more about "display what (as result)?" rather than "search what?".

Display:
- excerpts
- just titles

Assuming we have a selection in the backoffice, what would be the best default option?

i think its the search what...because if the title isn't searched then it can't be displayed as part of the results. This is my observation, at least from my point of view. The next thing with display, there should be those options to show the view preferences, but that can't possible be as hard as changing the search function. I was looking a little bit at it...and it suggests that it relies on the mySQL database indexing more heavily so the table constructs would have to be modified...crap i thought i would be a little easier!

20 May 16, 2008 14:23

Display:
- excerpts
- just titles

For me: title+excerpts

21 Mar 02, 2010 11:42

whats the current situation of search in 3.3 ? i guess tags are still not searchable anywhere ?
any update on this ?

Form is loading...