Recent Topics

1 Jun 14, 2004 01:23    

Hi, I changed my local language following wherever need to be changed, and tested the new language (chinese) in three skin sets: custom, tac-tic, and wpc-darkfire. here are the results (I activated both local and po extraction. hope this is right. I also checked language files; they are mostly translated).

1: tac-tic: nothing changed

2. wpc-darkfire: menu (left sidebar) shows the new language, but not content (center piece)

3. costum: both menu and content columns changed. the best to meet the localization configuration.

I have a reason to say that whether you have changed your language depends on not only your configuration in those files, but also the skin you are using. in another word, you should also modify your skin to fit into the new language.

QUESTION: where in a skin file would the localization be honored?

2 Jun 14, 2004 10:04

First you have to allow the po extraction. It's on the conf/_locales.php

$allow_po_extraction = 1;

Then go to the backoffice, and in the options' subtab Regional, click on Extract in the file you want to update.

This should work :)

3 Jun 14, 2004 16:59

thank you. I did that. it is still the same, regarding the different responses by skins.

4 Jun 14, 2004 18:01

as i see it, what the localization does is search for a know string, and when found, replace it with the translated one.

There are some skins, that use their own strings, so there's no translated string for them.

if you edit the skin files (_main.php, _feedback.php ...) you could manually edit those strings.

5 Jun 14, 2004 19:56

Lucas81 wrote:

as i see it, what the localization does is search for a know string, and when found, replace it with the translated one.

There are some skins, that use their own strings, so there's no translated string for them.

if you edit the skin files (_main.php, _feedback.php ...) you could manually edit those strings.

that explains a lot. thank you very much. hope skin developers will take this into consideration.

6 Jun 15, 2004 04:02

Lucas81, I found this:

in skin/yourskin/_main.php, there is such code lines:

<div class="bPost" lang="<?php $Item->lang() ?>">
<?php locale_temp_switch( $Item->locale );
// Temporarily switch to post locale
$Item->anchor(); // Anchor for permalinks to refer to
?>

Which calls to look for a fold called locale. However, the fold name (in my installation) is actually called locales, not locale. So, you have to change the code line to be locales. change fold name from locales to locale won't work since other files might still call the fold locales.

I found this inconsistency in tictac and wpc_darkfire _main.php files and made the correction. Now they all work with the new language.
that probably explains the skin dependency.

thank you for your attention.

7 Jun 24, 2005 17:08

Lucas81 wrote:

hope skin developers will take this into consideration.

I'm working on a skin and I'm trying to make sure that I use T strings instead of just English. Is there a list somewhere that shows all the strings that are available to me?

8 Jul 20, 2005 16:12

kding wrote:

Lucas81, I found this:

in skin/yourskin/_main.php, there is such code lines:

<div class="bPost" lang="<?php $Item->lang() ?>">
<?php locale_temp_switch( $Item->locale );
// Temporarily switch to post locale
$Item->anchor(); // Anchor for permalinks to refer to
?>

Which calls to look for a fold called locale. However, the fold name (in my installation) is actually called locales, not locale. So, you have to change the code line to be locales. change fold name from locales to locale won't work since other files might still call the fold locales.

I found this inconsistency in tictac and wpc_darkfire _main.php files and made the correction. Now they all work with the new language.
that probably explains the skin dependency.

thank you for your attention.

Thank you so much kding! I was struggling with the localisation and this was the reason!! Correcting the skin locale - locales solved the problem (I use the skin CLEAN)

Form is loading...