Recent Topics

1 Apr 21, 2008 22:43    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

I am trying to install the blog system to my site only when I go to actually install it I get and error message...

MySQL error!

Error establishing a database connection!

(Access denied for user 'pretenderhq'@'localhost' (using password: YES))

1. Are you sure you have typed the correct user/password?
2. Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
3. Are you sure that the database server is running?

As far as I know all the information in the fields is correct.

2 Apr 24, 2008 20:51

1. Don't install 1.x, use the latest version 2.4.1

2. Make an entirely new, empty database on your server. You will need to know:
a. the database name;
b. the database username; and
c. the database password.

Use the new details to enter into the install screen.

3 Apr 24, 2008 22:28

pretenderhq wrote:

maybe you should use an actual e-mail address, and check your config file

4 Apr 25, 2008 00:51

tilqicom wrote:

pretenderhq wrote:

maybe you should use an actual e-mail address, and check your config file

Actually that's not the email address thing - it is the error message that shows up when something is wrong. I'm with filthio on this one: make a brand new database and see about if b2evolution can connect to it. If not then I think the next thing to try is to see if anything can connect to a database.

pretenderhq do you have anything that uses php files to talk to a database running on your server? Perhaps you have fantastico and can install something through it just to prove it can happen? BTW if you do have fantastico then you could cheat by letting it install whatever version of b2evolution it has, snagging the database connection info from the conf/_basic_config.php file it writes, then using the connection info in your own installation of v2.4.1 although one must be careful to never ever let fantastico do an upgrade OR tell fantastico to delete the installation.

That's what I do all the time. I've never actually created a database all by myself :lol:

5 Apr 25, 2008 19:03

I have to tell you I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff... what exactly do you mean by a new database?

6 Apr 25, 2008 19:19

Ok, don't worry - it's not that hard, and help's at hand.

Do you know how to create a database on your server? Apart from using mySQL directly (in which case you don't need my help) common ways to do so include phpmyadmin, plesk, or as EdB says, fantastico. Do any of these sound familiar? If not, have you ever done anything on your website that involves a database at all?

7 Apr 25, 2008 19:22

pretenderhq wrote:

I have to tell you I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff... what exactly do you mean by a new database?

Um... a database that isn't the old database ;)

So here's the deal: you absolutely must have a database existing before b2evolution can put in the tables and fields and values the database will need in order for the files to do their thing. In other words, b2evolution can not create a database for you so when you enter the info into conf/_basic_config.php file (either by editing before uploading or by filling it in during the installation process) it must be 'database connection info' you know for a fact already exists.

So how are you trying to install this software? Did you come across it and decide to try it then download it and try to follow instructions? Or do you have a "Fantastico" feature from your host that will automagically install stuff but wanted a newer version than it offers?

Actually "do you have fantastico" is a good question either way because IT will make databases for you.

Also does your host provide you with a database creation tool of some kind? One of my hosts does, but the other does not.

My point is that you have to have a database before you can run the installer, so let's make sure you have a database ... THEN let's make sure you can connect to it.

BTW to see your database, in other words to prove that it does exist, your host should provide you with something like phpmyadmin that will let you check out (but not always create) databases. There is also typically a host-provided tool that lets you see your databases (which frequently has phpmyadmin linked in it).

So: are you absolutely completely certain you have a database established, and, know for sure the database name and the database user name and the database password? Until you can say "yes" to this we can't go any further on getting this stuff to work for you.

8 Apr 25, 2008 19:47

filthio wrote:

Ok, don't worry - it's not that hard, and help's at hand.

Do you know how to create a database on your server? Apart from using mySQL directly (in which case you don't need my help) common ways to do so include phpmyadmin, plesk, or as EdB says, fantastico. Do any of these sound familiar? If not, have you ever done anything on your website that involves a database at all?

Okay Here's the thing. My site is on a friends server. She owns it and we moved my site onto it. I use FTP to update and whatnot... would this then have to be separate from my site on the server? - I don't know any technical terms I'm as beginner as they come.

9 Apr 25, 2008 19:56

So here's the deal: you absolutely must have a database existing before b2evolution can put in the tables and fields and values the database will need in order for the files to do their thing. In other words, b2evolution can not create a database for you so when you enter the info into conf/_basic_config.php file (either by editing before uploading or by filling it in during the installation process) it must be 'database connection info' you know for a fact already exists.

I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to super geniuses. I have no idea what that meant. I'm starting to think a database is different from what I think it is.

I'm on a friends server with a whole bunch of other sites. Would a database be what my site is in? So I would need another one because if that is the case I'm not sure it is possible... do I make sense?

So how are you trying to install this software? Did you come across it and decide to try it then download it and try to follow instructions? Or do you have a "Fantastico" feature from your host that will automagically install stuff but wanted a newer version than it offers?

Actually "do you have fantastico" is a good question either way because IT will make databases for you.

I downloaded it and tried uploading what they told me to into my site using FTP. I made a new subcategory for it which I think might be an issue?

I don't know what fantastico is.

Also does your host provide you with a database creation tool of some kind? One of my hosts does, but the other does not.

My point is that you have to have a database before you can run the installer, so let's make sure you have a database ... THEN let's make sure you can connect to it.

BTW to see your database, in other words to prove that it does exist, your host should provide you with something like phpmyadmin that will let you check out (but not always create) databases. There is also typically a host-provided tool that lets you see your databases (which frequently has phpmyadmin linked in it).

So: are you absolutely completely certain you have a database established, and, know for sure the database name and the database user name and the database password? Until you can say "yes" to this we can't go any further on getting this stuff to work for you.

I'm thinking I don't have a database... but I'm not sure. I access everything via FTP. I'm probably not doing everything "professionally" or even marginally so. I know nothing about this stuff. This world is pretty new to me.

I wouldn't know how to run a check as I don't think I have that admin thing. I can only control changes on my site through FTP.

I have no idea! Ahhhh! :-/

10 Apr 25, 2008 20:00

Okay then you need your friend to create a database for you, and give you the required credentials to access the database she created.

PS: learn the terms.
FTP (File transfer protocol) allows you to access a server, which is nothing more than a fancy computer that houses and delivers web pages. With FTP you can upload and download files, but you can not create a database.

A database is a collection of tables, and a table is a collection of fields. For example a database called "blog" might have tables for "users" and "blogs" and "posts" and "comments". The table for "users" might have fields for "name" and "email" and stuff like that. A database all by itself does nothing. It is only a collection of information stored in rows. For example if the "users" table had information about 20 users it would be stored in 20 rows in that table.

The files on your server will connect to the database and, depending on tons of different stuff, will use the values in each row of each table to actually create the web page that the visitor is asking for. That's how this forum is built by the way. You see the page you see because of the information about your user account (like permissions and skin and so forth) and the bits you've clicked on told the files to extract appropriate bits from the database and to make this and that show up where and how they do. Cool yah?

But none of it really matters until you get the connection info for a real live honest to goodness database out of your friend. Beat her with garden tools if she doesn't provide the information in a timely manner. I've found that to be an effective method of persuading others to do as I command :)

11 Apr 25, 2008 20:07

Also make sure your friend creates a database user with permissions for the database that is created for you. You will need a username and password as well as the database name.

12 Apr 25, 2008 20:54

pretenderhq wrote:

... I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to super geniuses. ...

Nah. Those of us who answer just sorta know the answers is all.

pretenderhq wrote:

I'm on a friends server with a whole bunch of other sites. Would a database be what my site is in? So I would need another one because if that is the case I'm not sure it is possible... do I make sense?

Yes you make sense. I host webs for a couple of friends. The thing is they can not access some stuff the way I can, so I have to do what they need done. That's where you're at: you need your friend to make you a database and give you the credentials to connect to it. But I'll bet your friend is just like me: doesn't actually own the server. Rather, pays for a hosting account and gives out some space to people.

Okay in general a server can have a ton of databases. My hosting account (which is only one account of many on the actual server) has I think 7 databases in it. No problem to add a few more if I need them. So yeah I'll bet a dollar your friend can add a database for you.

pretenderhq wrote:

I downloaded it and tried uploading what they told me to into my site using FTP. I made a new subcategory for it which I think might be an issue?

I don't know what fantastico is.

Okay so now we know for a fact what the problem is: no database means no blog. I'm thinking when you say "subcategory" you really mean "folder on the server" - correct?

Never mind what Fantastico is, but basically it is a program that installs programs. The cool thing is it builds the database and installs all the files and stuff like that for you, but you have to be the owner of the hosting account to have access to it. So let's just ignore it okay?

pretenderhq wrote:

I'm thinking I don't have a database... but I'm not sure. I access everything via FTP. I'm probably not doing everything "professionally" or even marginally so. I know nothing about this stuff. This world is pretty new to me.

Yup sure sounds like you don't have one to me.

No worries. Your friend will either give you a database and all the connection info or find out what it feels like to have a rake smash her face at full speed. ;)

pretenderhq wrote:

I have no idea! Ahhhh! :-/

Bah! Here you are hangin' out with super geniuses so you must have *some* idea :)

Bottom line: talk to your friend about getting the connection info for a database so you can use this blog software. The info you need will be the stuff you will put in your conf/_basic_config.php file, which will be this:

$db_config = array(
	'user'          => 'demouser',     // your MySQL username
	'password'      => 'demopass',     // ...and password
	'name'          => 'b2evolution',  // the name of the database
	'host'          => 'localhost',    // MySQL Server (typically 'localhost')
);

A user name, a password, a database name, and "host" which is almost always 'localhost'. Fairly simple and probably a bit intuitive about what they are right? The username and password says who has permission to access the database, and the database name is what you call it. Once you have this info your files will be able to say "hello database portion of the server! I am {user} and here is my {password} so how about letting me get info from and put info into the database called {name}?" The database portion of the server will then say "Why certainly! ... er ... is that a garden hoe behind your back?"

13 Apr 25, 2008 21:56

A user name, a password, a database name, and "host" which is almost always 'localhost'. Fairly simple and probably a bit intuitive about what they are right? The username and password says who has permission to access the database, and the database name is what you call it. Once you have this info your files will be able to say "hello database portion of the server! I am {user} and here is my {password} so how about letting me get info from and put info into the database called {name}?" The database portion of the server will then say "Why certainly! ... er ... is that a garden hoe behind your back?"

*tehehe* Okay you totally crack me up. I think I'm understanding... sometimes you really have to mash it into my brain. *shrugs*

I'll talk to her. I probably won't have to go as far as beating her though as she's pretty cool. *lol*

Form is loading...