Recent Topics

1 May 05, 2008 09:51    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.2

Hi,
I have searched the forums for help on this and haven't found a solution. I installed b2evolution fresh and it works fine except none of the skins work, not even the default one. I get a page with no formatting and the error:

Sub template [../../../skins/asevo/_html_header.inc.php] not found.
User level 10 help info: [/f1/content/pyrophile/public/blogs/skins/asevo/../../../skins/asevo/_html_header.inc.php]

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the skins. I even deleted all database entries and did a fresh reinstall of the blog software. No change.

I am using the latest version I just downloaded from the site today.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 May 05, 2008 16:44

I wonder where the ../../../ part in skins/asevo/../../../skins/asevo is coming from? I wonder why you have the skins folder listed twice in there. What is the value you have for $baseurl in your conf/_basic_config.php file?

Got link?

How can you say it works fine if it has no skin!

Did you set any of the Blog settings sub-tab fields to have ../ in them? If so that's your problem I'm sure.

Maybe you got a broken file somewhere in your installation? If so the cure is easy but sounds hard.

Get a brand new copy of the package.
Unzip it on your desktop.
Edit the new conf/_basic_config.php file to have the important bits from your current version of that file.
Delete everything currently on your server except your media folder if you have uploaded anything yet.
Upload all the new files you just unzipped.

To be really sure you would also make sure your file editor is good for doing this type of file work, and maybe even get a different FTP program to upload with. But really I don't think the problem is files. I think you've got ../ stuff in there when or where you don't need it.

And hey welcome to the forums!

3 May 05, 2008 22:26

And hey welcome to the forums!

Thanks!

How can you say it works fine if it has no skin!

Yeah, I guess I meant that everything else seemed to work alright. But really, without the skin thing working, its not a readable blog at all.

I wonder where the ../../../ part in skins/asevo/../../../skins/asevo is coming from? I wonder why you have the skins folder listed twice in there. What is the value you have for $baseurl in your conf/_basic_config.php file?

$baseurl = 'http://pyrophile.darkleaf.com/b2evolution/blogs/';

I'm not sure what it means with all the ../ Maybe the three of them stand for /public/b2evolution/blogs/ part of the path?

The public folder seems to be where all my files are stored and accessed serverside, because I don't have it in my local file tree. My web host is NearlyFreeSpeech.net. Public never shows up when I visit my blog and visiting it at http://pyrophile.darkleaf.com/b2evolution/blogs/ works just fine (except for the skin part not working). The posts are there.

To be really sure you would also make sure your file editor is good for doing this type of file work, and maybe even get a different FTP program to upload with. But really I don't think the problem is files. I think you've got ../ stuff in there when or where you don't need it.

I use Adobe Dreamweaver CS3. I've used it to edit and upload phpbbs and other php/mySQL software before and it seems to work fine. Those ../'s are confusing. I found one other post in these forums in which somebody had the same error messages but they didn't get much in the way of help. (Thank you so much for taking a crack at this!)

Really want a blog, and really wanted to use this specific software!

I've already done the config install delete things and reinstalled, but I haven't downloaded the package again. I don't think that it is the package or the ftp, but I guess I could do it again if nothing else works. It seems like it is a location setting thing, but I'm not sure where it's going wrong.

Here are some screenshots that show my file tree, I dunno if they'll help:

http://pyrophile.darkleaf.com/file%20tree.jpg
http://pyrophile.darkleaf.com/skins.jpg

Edit: Just for the hell of it, I changed my baseurl to include the /public/ folder. It broke everything and confused the software. I changed it back to what it was, and everything is back to normal (except the error, of course). So I guess my host's folder isn't the culprit.

4 May 05, 2008 23:05

I was looking through my skin folders and realized that the file it keeps looking for: _html_header.inc.php isn't in any of them! It exists on the outside of all the skin folders as you can see in the screenshot:

Is this normal? What is it like for you?

5 May 05, 2008 23:49

pyrophile wrote:

I was looking through my skin folders and realized that the file it keeps looking for: _html_header.inc.php isn't in any of them! It exists on the outside of all the skin folders as you can see in the screenshot:

Is this normal? What is it like for you?

it's there for you to include your custom needs, skins does not have to contain it, however feel free to copy it inside any of your skin folder to try, no harm

6 May 06, 2008 00:04

I tried doing that, and I still get the error. Are the skins supposed to come with that file included??

I re-downloaded the package and checked in the skins folder and found that they are the same as what I already have. If they don't normally come with the file, why don't any of them work and why does the error look for it?

7 May 06, 2008 00:13

no the skins are not supposed to have it by default..
could you tell

pyrophile wrote:

Sub template [../../../skins/asevo/_html_header.inc.php] not found.

in accessing which page exactly you got this error ?

9 May 06, 2008 00:24

you say your base url is domain.com/blog, you have sent a screenshot of your baseconfig.php but cant see the $base_url line in the screenshot, could you send a screenshot of your base_config.php's containing base_url line, cause i am pretty sure it is the base url as you say it's a global error; you have possibly missed the / in the end or sth else, i dont know, a whitespace or sth else (i suppose :-/ ..)

11 May 06, 2008 00:46

i believe you are just missing an easy spot.. For now, i would strongly suggest you to create a new db , and give ur ftp details (with only access to the folder you d like to install b2 may be )to a trusty (and kind enough to help) moderator [that would not hurt i guess], presuming your install is newly.. cheers : P (ps, i can also help you make a new install, but a trusty mod would be better for you ofc)

12 May 06, 2008 00:56

You know how that file is not included in the folder that the error is looking for? Well, I opened the index.main.php file for the asevo skin and found that it calls for it:

// -------------------------- HTML HEADER INCLUDED HERE --------------------------
skin_include( '../../../../skins/asevo/_html_header.inc.php' );
// Note: You can customize the default HTML header by copying the
// _html_header.inc.php file into the current skin folder.
// -------------------------------- END OF HEADER --------------------------------

:-/ hrm.... This doesn't make sense to me. Why would it call for something it does not have? What does your asevo have in it's index.main.php file?

13 May 06, 2008 01:08

change

( '../../../../skins/asevo/_html_header.inc.php' );

to

( '../skins/asevo/_html_header.inc.php' );

14 May 06, 2008 01:39

No luck. I went ahead and deleted all the files from the server and created a new database. Would be grateful if someone wouldn't mind setting it up for me. I don't know what the deal is with it. I just want it to work! :(

15 May 06, 2008 01:45

pyrophile wrote:

You know how that file is not included in the folder that the error is looking for? Well, I opened the index.main.php file for the asevo skin and found that it calls for it:

// -------------------------- HTML HEADER INCLUDED HERE --------------------------
skin_include( '../../../../skins/asevo/_html_header.inc.php' );
// -------------------------------- END OF HEADER --------------------------------

:-/ hrm.... This doesn't make sense to me. Why would it call for something it does not have? What does your asevo have in it's index.main.php file?

Don't worry about the file being in skins and not in skins/asevo - that is perfectly normal.

See the files that make the blog look in the skins/skinname/ folder for stuff, and those files in turn are smart enough to say "if I don't find it in skins/skinname/ I look in skins/ because that is where the generic versions are". You get the error message showing the first path (skins/skinname/ ) because technically speaking that is the actual path php is looking for. b2evolution then doesn't find it in either path and says to php "that file isn't findable".

Therefore do not focus on that detail as it is NOT the issue.

Now the question is WHY does your copy of skins/asevo/index.main.php have the incorrect path? In fact, it is completely wrong. It should be this:

skin_include( '_html_header.inc.php' );

So! You are using a baseurl value of something.domain.com which I suspect to be the culprit. Your files can not be at that path right? Okay I'll be back. Gonna post this and poke around all the screenshots you've sent. So far nothing helps, but maybe there is something that will.

What I need if you're there is the actual path on your server to the b2evolution package.

All that ../ junk in your index.main.php got there somehow, and it doesn't belong there. How did you install this? Just download and upload, or a fancy installer of some kind?

16 May 06, 2008 01:49

Is pyrophile an addon domain or a subdomain?

IF it is an addon domain then the URL will not need darkleaf. in it. IF it is a subdomain then it is up to your server to handle moving the bit to the beginning with a dot instead of the end with a slash. (I think!)

So actually the full path of the files on your server will be nice to know. Not just a screen cap of the skins folder - everything that leads to the b2evolution/blogs/skins/ is what I'm after.

Gotta go to work soon so won't be back for a while, but don't worry: whatever is wrong is fixable.

By the way still whatever put those ../ bits in that one file IS the problem. Those bits simply do not belong there - unless b2evolution itself has them in the original files, and it doesn't.

17 May 06, 2008 05:50

huh...

I'm not sure why it worked this time, but I had deleted everything again, and this time set up in a new database and everything works fine now. I checked the coding in the skins, and they no longer call for a url, but for the file itself. (isn't that weird?)

I'm not sure what added the ../ bits or the base url before the file names in all my skin files the first few times, but you were right, that is the culprit.

The first time I did a fresh reinstall, I used the built in deletion that is in the installation file to flush my database. I'm guessing that it didn't do its job, even though it seemed to because this problem carried over.

Well, thanks for the help EdB and tilquicom! You guys are lifesavers!

18 May 06, 2008 16:26

I'm going to suspect your file editor more than anything else. Some of them that are very smart think of your files as part of a web and "fix" stuff they think need to be fixed. Don't really know though as I gave up on fancy shmancy tools a while ago. Too smart and too simple at the same time, so I got happy with a reasonably bright file editor.

Anyway you're up and running so hooray!

Form is loading...