Recent Topics

1 May 17, 2008 12:28    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Is there a way to make it so only users of the blog can view it? So users would have to log in to view the site? Or is there a way to make it completely private?

2 May 17, 2008 12:50

Yes, a couple of ways. Please avail yourself of the search feature to find details, but basically the easiest way is to make all posts be 'protected' instead of 'published'.

3 Jul 08, 2008 23:17

Hello,

I just set the visibility on all posts to 'protected' and that works great on each post, but all users can still see the blog in the public blog list.

Is there a way to make a whole blog 'protected' instead of each individual post? I have multiple blogs with multiple groups.

What I would like to have is a blog visible in the public blog list only for members of the blog. Maybe there is something else I am missing?

Thanks

4 Jul 11, 2008 03:34

BWLPhoeinx wrote:

... Is there a way to make a whole blog 'protected' instead of each individual post? I have multiple blogs with multiple groups.

What I would like to have is a blog visible in the public blog list only for members of the blog. Maybe there is something else I am missing? ...

Nope. Not "out of the box" anyway because really just about anything *can* be done. It's just not an option to show only the blogs you're a member of in the bloglist. Would be an interesting option I reckon.

One thing you could do that is a bit outside the norm and might not be exactly what you want is to make that blog not be in the public blog list, then add a bit of code to your skin's _index.main.php (or whatever it's called - and it varies skin to skin). Something like this:

<?php // here is a cheap cheat
if( is_logged_in() ) { ?>
<a href="url_to_members_only_blog">Members Only</a>
<?php } ?>

It would be up to you to make it be the right type of link and have the correct class applied, if need be.

Hey maybe the other form of bloglist is what you want? Maybe not though because I think it is for showing blogs owned by the person out there.

5 Jul 27, 2008 06:11

Is there a way to make a whole blog 'protected' instead of each individual post? I have multiple blogs with multiple groups.

What I would like to have is a blog visible in the public blog list only for members of the blog.

I would DEARLY love this too if there was any possible way. Would make a world of difference for my current project (and open doors for future ones!).

8 Jul 27, 2008 15:27

Hi all, I had a similar issue in the spring of 2007--I was running a multi-author blog for a church group to discuss with each other a problem they had--NOT something for public consumption!

I did it by (1) unchecking "include in public blog list," (2) checking "use advanced perms," and (3) in group permissions, under "can post/edit" made sure all users had "publ" unchecked and "protected" checked. That way, nobody could (deliberately or inadvertently) post anything beyond the log-in protected status.

This showed the blog as empty of all posts except to a user who had logged in. I made the blog name and other attributes appropriate but not disclosive--but yes, anyone on the planet could view the empty blog.

Also, I didn't much want users to find the index page showing all blogs on my installation. I, too, had multiple blogs for groups whose business was none of each other's business, tho only this one was confidential. I never did find a way to keep the index page from showing, occasionally and whenever someone took the blog name off the www.mysite.com/blogs/index.php/thisblog url. While it would have been nice to make the index page inaccessible, it didn't seem essential for what I was doing.

Hope this helps.

9 Jul 27, 2008 15:46

Many thanks to you too :), but no, I ahve these bases covered.

I dont mind people viewing the empty blogs. My problem starts when I then need to direct them to the correct blog they are member of. Ive found no way of doing this without showing them a full list of all of the blogs...which I would LOVE to avoid.

For the most part ill be able to keep them using their correct URL but not always...like when they've lost their password or they (possibly) use someone elses link to login.

10 Jul 27, 2008 17:53

I played with my Sorted Bloglist Plugin and added an option to only view the public Blogs *plus* the Blogs a User is member of.
So if you have set up the blogs like martha and allym describe you have a few blogs that are public and a number of blogs that are only intended for members.
To set this up, disable 'Include in public blog list' In Blog settings -> CHOOSE A BLOG -> 'Advanced' to make it a 'hidden blog'. Remember: hiding a blog DOES NOT MAKE IT PROTECTED. You should set the post status to 'protected' to make it invisible to the world.

Usage:
The Sorted Public Bloglist plugin can replace the Blogroll.
- Install the plugin the way you normally would (upload unzipped folder to /plugins, go to Global settings -> Plugins -> Install new)
- Go to Blog settings -> Widgets. Remove the 'Public blog list' widget from the 'Page top' container. The 'Public blog list' widget is the blogroll.
- Add the 'Sorted public bloglist' widget to the 'Page top' container
- Edit settings for 'Sorted public bloglist' widget.

Alternatively you can add the 'Soted public boglist' widget to the sidebar and give it a header like 'Your blogs'.
- Leave the 'Public blog list' widget in the 'Page top' container
- Add the 'Sorted public bloglist widget to the 'Sidebar' container
- Edit settings.

THIS PLUGIN WILL NOT HIDE ANY BLOG TO THE PUBLIC. So you still need your posts to be 'protected'. Normal viewers will see an existing but empty blog. However with this plugin the nomal user will not see hidden blogs in the blogroll, members will see them.

This plugin needs thourough testing because security issues are involved. My blog is not suited to do this testing. So please try it out and report back if it does what you expect from it. Any feedback is appreciated.

Download: sorted_bloglist_plugin-0.5.zip
*edit*
Found the first bug already. Will release shortly

Good luck

11 Jul 28, 2008 00:29

I wait with baited breath!

Would be wonderful, and Im happy to act as "rigorous tester" for you if need be. Thank you Afwas.

13 Jul 28, 2008 01:11

Thank you, ill let you know how it goes.

Nb. I had a good look at all of your plugins yesterday. Have installled (and throroughly enjoying!) your Text area resizer. Also have plans for your Random picture. Im subscribed, looking forward to your future additions.

14 Jul 28, 2008 02:35

You are LEGEND!
My whole world just became a far better place.
Thank you so so much,
Sally

15 Jul 28, 2008 03:06

Wow, I'm glad it works the way I intended it.

Form is loading...