Recent Topics

1 Jun 04, 2008 21:21    

My b2evolution Version: 0.9.x

Hello :D

I am using a dinosaur b2evo v 0.9.2. It's served us faithfully.

I would like to upgrade to a newer version but I'm afraid I'll wipe out what I've created so far.

My concerns and desires are...

1. Not to lose the skin creation of my own where I've added in and taking out images and put in personal side bar info to make it my own.

I've copied and pasted the code files on the ones I need to reuse or draw info from in reconstructing a new blog skin just in case they get wiped out. But I'm wondering if there is another way to keep what I created intact when downloading a new version.

2. I mainly need a version that will take the avatar plugin and the video youtube type plugin. Which Version do you suggest and where can I find it to download it?

Thank you

2 Jun 04, 2008 21:38

marmalade kat wrote:

My b2evolution Version: 0.9.x

Hello :D

I am using a dinosaur b2evo v 0.9.2. It's served us faithfully.

I would like to upgrade to a newer version but I'm afraid I'll wipe out what I've created so far.

My concerns and desires are...

1. Not to lose the skin creation of my own where I've added in and taking out images and put in personal side bar info to make it my own.

I've copied and pasted the code files on the ones I need to reuse or draw info from in reconstructing a new blog skin just in case they get wiped out. But I'm wondering if there is another way to keep what I created intact when downloading a new version.

2. I mainly need a version that will take the avatar plugin and the video youtube type plugin. Which Version do you suggest and where can I find it to download it?

Thank you

1.i am pretty sure you can work it out even if you have to restart from a scratch.And believe me, comparing the beauties of 2.x, it will worth it.

2. Luckily, sam2kb has adapted the [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=15641]avatars plugin for 2.x series[/url], and afaik the youtube plugin works as well.

So i dont see any reason for you not to upgrade to [url=http://b2evolution.net/downloads/index.html]the latest stable release as of this post, 2.4.2[/url]

3 Jun 04, 2008 22:04

tilqicom wrote:

1.i am pretty sure you can work it out even if you have to restart from a scratch.And believe me, comparing the beauties of 2.x, it will worth it.

2. Luckily, sam2kb has adapted the [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=15641]avatars plugin for 2.x series[/url], and afaik the youtube plugin works as well.

So i dont see any reason for you not to upgrade to [url=http://b2evolution.net/downloads/index.html]the latest stable release as of this post, 2.4.2[/url]

So downloading would definitely mean losing my creations if I don't save and redesign. Oh well, it's time to change decor anyway.

Thank you for the suggestion and advice. :D

4 Jun 04, 2008 23:07

no problem, i forgot to mention, could we have a link to your site to see how hard it could be for you to adapt your design to 2x (:

and oh, i know you wouldn't but do not forget to double, triple backup all your files and your sql, in order to prevent any corruption or data loss

5 Jun 07, 2008 16:50

How do you backup all the files and the sql other than copy and paste to documents?

7 Jun 07, 2008 18:55

marmalade kat wrote:

How do you backup all the files and the sql other than copy and paste to documents?

what do you mean by documents ? You have to have one copy of all your files under "..your server/public_html/blog/.." i mean all the files and folders inside your b2evolution root directory including the files in the root directory.

And make sure you have the right database backed up open your config.php and look for your database name if you dont remember, and backup mydatabase.sql or whatever it is.

When you have a full copy of the files in your b2evou install and a copy of your db, you are ready to go, just try to have the both backups at the same exact time in order not to encounter any problems.

8 Jun 20, 2008 17:49

Well, thanks to you tilqicom, and personman from private messages, the 2.4.2 is now installed and running well for us (so far). :D

I just wish there were more skins. I really liked the helskinki. It was easy to manipulate for a novice such as myself. But I'll just mess with what's available and see what happens.

b2evolution is #1 :!:

9 Jun 20, 2008 18:07

marmalade kat wrote:

Well, thanks to you tilqicom, and personman from private messages, the 2.4.2 is now installed and running well for us (so far). :D

I just wish there were more skins. I really liked the helskinki. It was easy to manipulate for a novice such as myself. But I'll just mess with what's available and see what happens.

b2evolution is #1 :!:

not at all..ywelcome.About the skins, i can see that some users are trying to increase number of skins, it will be better in near future i guess.But i , myself am against to mass production, which i mean, releasing almost same skin over and over again adding container or changing color..

So i am working on a fully customizable skin with no need of any knowledge including switching font colors, bg color, bg images, switch between fixed and fluid resolution, and everything else you can imagine..However atm, i can just 'switch' between one thing..I mean you can change either bg color "or" header image, it's easy based on switching style sheets.To be able to switch bg color "and" header image js is needed which i dont know much about, [url=http://innervisions.org.uk]¥åßßå[/url] said he might have a look at it sometime (:..

Also [url=http://www.blog.hemminga.net]Afwas[/url] has converted numerous skins to b2, there is also a wp skin to b2 skin conversion guide, you can benefit.People can request thematic skins, it may attract someone take your chance (: or do not hesitate to ask whenever you need help about developing/modifying a skin..But when you are not a pro guy like me, it is not that easy to create a skin from scratch each time.. I ve also thought of creating a basic skin which can be modified easily but it quite doesnt seem applicable every time, there are already basic skins you can manipulate though.Enough talk.cheers, have fun ;)

10 Jun 21, 2008 00:09

tilqicom wrote:

I ve also thought of creating a basic skin which can be modified easily but it quite doesnt seem applicable every time, there are already basic skins you can manipulate though.

Actually I like your idea. :D

Since I take my time in re-decorating a skin, that would come in handy. All I'd need for starters would be a place to insert a homemade logo and the right place to insert a couple of background codes, if I was using frames.

Form is loading...