Recent Topics

1 Jun 20, 2008 08:23    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

Hi all of you,

I am running a "heavy" traffic site using partly B2evo, and now I am having performance problems. Most of the time, it's just responding way too slow :'(

Here is the story.

I am paying big $ for a dedicated server, which only hosts 2 domains.

www.skagensavis.dk - runs b2evo + static pages. (site in danish)
www.ad-server.dk - runs banner rotating software serving skagensavis.dk (software from www.adpeeps.com)

Static HTML page on skagensavis.dk with banner ads from ad-server.dk: www.skagensavis.dk/radio_podcast.html

B2evo served page on skagensavis.dk without ads: www.skagensavis.dk/noads.php

Google analytics says from 1.800 to 2.300 daily users on www.skagensavis.dk. Peak times, are on mondays, 12:00 - 01:00 local time (6am -7am Eastern Time US)

B2evo database are: 20MB
B2evo media folders are: 84MB

PHP info on skagensavis.dk, you will find here: www.skagensavis.dk/phpinfo.php

So, last monday at about noon, everthing came to a total stand still, and the server processor load went crazy. I hadden done any systems changing that day, only made a few new post's.

Ever since that, I have been struggling with performance, and from time to time, everything is just much too slow for serios use.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Any suggestions are highly appriciated.

Hans Christian

2 Jun 20, 2008 08:33

Some expert would analyze it better, but afai suppose, it's not b2evo who wears down your server.. if this was a sudden change, try checking with your dedi.

Personally, i think 2k per day is far low beyond b2 can handle, and one more thing, i believe your database shouldn't be 20mb unless you have thousands of posts, (about a million words).. try clearing your hitlog table and dig more about optimizing b2 database if you still doubt b2 might be the reason..cheers

3 Jun 20, 2008 08:49

All I see while waiting for your site to load is "waiting for Ad Server" and "loading Ad Server". After that's out of the way, your site loads fine.

Also, a link back/credit to B2evolution won't make it any slower, or maybe I missed it?

4 Jun 20, 2008 09:09

tilqicom,
Database, my mistake, it's 10.428kb. evo_hitlog is 0 posts, evo_sessions is 26.804 posts (4.1MB)

John,
I agree, that b2evo loads slightly faster without ads, but not that much faster, that i can say that it's ad-server.dk that is the problem.

Link back/credit, at the moment you will not find a link back, instead you wil find me amongst the Gold donors: http://b2evolution.net/dev/donations.php

HC

5 Jun 20, 2008 09:13

Your traffic load should be handled without problems by b2evolution. In my case, I'm receiving around 10,000 hits on average daily and b2evo behaves just fine.

Now, one thing to take into account an that can slow significantly your blog is the Logging and session system builtin in b2evo. At one point the evo_sessions table and the evo_hitlog were getting huge, really huge and b2evo was very slow. The problem was that I had three months worth of hitlogs and session and for every hit b2evo receives it has to lookup those two tables, the first to see whether the user is logged in and the second in order to keep you statistics.

So the solution was to shorten the period that hitlogs are kept in the DB and shorten the Session lifetime (I think I had it on one month or something).

The result was a reduction in the overall DB size by some 40 MB (from about 80MB total) and a speeding up of b2evo with a reduction of CPU usage.

Now I have a cron job pruning my hitlog and sessions every 6 days.

Hope this helps

6 Jun 20, 2008 09:18

Austraco,

evo_hitlog is 0 posts, evo_sessions is 26.804 posts (4.1MB)

Is it safe to just empty the evo_sessions table from within PhpMyAdmin ?

HC

7 Jun 20, 2008 09:22

I agree that, for an almost dedicated server, it's far from being a fast site.

Have you optimised the database recently?

I think you need to talk with your hosting company.

Also have you considered upgrading from b2evolution 1.10.2 to the latest version?

8 Jun 20, 2008 09:27

Okay, this must be a problem !

I see that the evo_sessions table are: 26.863 posts (4.1MB), but all the sessions are dated this week !

And, my b2eo installation does only have 3 registered users !

- or am I completely misunderstanding what the evo_sessions table is all about ?

HC

9 Jun 20, 2008 09:28

SkagenMedia wrote:

Austraco,

evo_hitlog is 0 posts, evo_sessions is 26.804 posts (4.1MB)

Is it safe to just empty the evo_sessions table from within PhpMyAdmin ?

HC

Yes, you just will have to login again. But , you see, your evo_sessions table is a full 40% of your total DB size. However I didnÄt have problems with my setup until I got to around 8 to 9 thousands daily hits and I had 90 days worth of hitlogs and sessions!

So I suspect that's not your problem here.

10 Jun 20, 2008 11:59

SkagenMedia wrote:

Link back/credit, at the moment you will not find a link back, instead you wil find me amongst the Gold donors: http://b2evolution.net/dev/donations.php

HC

Yeah cool. So why not pay someone to fix what you can't handle? Like, for example, upgrading your blog engine?

Don't bother replying. I don't waste time with those who don't provide a free linkback to the free software they're using to power their website that happens to be over half advertisements.

11 Jun 20, 2008 12:33

Edb,

Okay, so you think that I am just sitting here on my ***, making tons of $
Not much money in the banner ads, certainly not in a small local news site.

English is not my native laguages, so perhaps I am misunderstanding something here. When using B2evo, is it a demand that there have to be a link back ?

If I do misunderstand this, I do not see any reason, why you could'nt tell me that in a nice way, instead bullying donators on B2evo forums is to be expected....

Thanks for your tip on the upgrading, so you think that upgrading the blog engine will solve the problem ?

HC

12 Jun 20, 2008 15:00

Google analytics says from 1.800 to 2.300 daily users on www.skagensavis.dk. Peak times, are on mondays, 12:00 - 01:00 local time (6am -7am Eastern Time US)

How many hits per day do you have ?

You can empty evo_session.
Try to analyse then optimise your db using phpmyadmin or mysql console.

13 Jun 21, 2008 12:05

slamp,

From webalizer i get:

Daily Avg
Hits: 73104
Files: 36753
Pages: 15171
Visits: 2161

- my sessions table is now empty, and all of the tables are optimized. Stil very slow :-(

HCA

14 Jun 21, 2008 12:54

Okay, i just might have found the problem, and the sollution.

Right now, my b2evo installation is racing at top speed.

The problem seems to be linked with the way, that I had my media folders organized. I had several folders, and subfolders. Hundreds of images within, at almost 85MB in total.

Resetting b2evo to the standard media folders, seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for all of your advice, also to EdB, eventhough I find his way of giving advice strange.

HCA

15 Jun 22, 2008 13:40

There is no requirement to linkback to b2evolution. HOWEVER there is also no requirement to get free help on a free forum about free software. My opinion, which I do not hesitate to share, is that if you take the time to remove the linkback to b2evolution then ask for help you should not get help.

I was once in the gold donors section. I am currently in the silver donors section. I ALWAYS maintain a linkback to b2evolution.net and can not understand why anyone would give help to those who remove the linkback, but hey that's just me.

Form is loading...