Recent Topics

1 Jul 22, 2008 20:50    

I just wanted to use the text widget to insert some php, is that possible? Or is the text widget just strictly literal?

I tried two things:

<?php echo( date("l, F dS Y.") ); ?>

<!--#include virtual="date.php" -->

2 Jul 23, 2008 16:08

Sorry, but there is no way to insert php via a widget or a post. Oh and there won't be either.

3 Jul 23, 2008 16:25

I get what you're saying. Thanks.

I just wanted to insert the date/time into the submenu nav.

How would I go about that? javascript? CSS? A php file?

4 Jul 23, 2008 16:33

Not sure what you mean by "submenu nav" but date and time associated with each post is very easy. Simply grab a skin that has it, and many do, and open it up to see which file has it. You will be looking for something like "$Item->date()" or maybe ->time() and inside the () bit you might find stuff like ( 'h - i - s' ) which would be the date stamp code for how you want to actually display it. 7/23/08 or 7/23/2008 or 07/23/2008 or 23-7-08 or July 23rd 2008 are all the same thing, and you can control that with the stuff inside the () bit - assuming you're talking about displaying a date for each post that is!

Oh and the reason it won't come through a widget is security related. The only PHP is in files. Some widgets are designed to allow html, some of your back office settings can include html, and you can use html when you post - but not php. Server-side scripting is strictly for inside your actual files is the thing.

Hope it helps get you where you want to be!

5 Jul 23, 2008 16:52

I am using the vastitude skin and below the header image there's a bar or menu with a link to Home and login, etc. I was trying to put the date/time there.

Yes I understood you when you said "it'll never happen" to mean that it would provide an giant security hole.

I'm slowly finding my way. I've even started to figure out Opera's built-in dev tools. Showing DOM objects, css, js, you name it.

I'm not sure how to dig into php since it's server-side.

Form is loading...