Recent Topics

1 Aug 19, 2008 19:17    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.2

Are the text messages, such as "leave feedback" in a separate file, or hard coded in the php? I wish to replace the "Leave Feedback" with the more commonly used "Leave a Comment". In fact, b2evolution itself uses both. Most social networking now uses 'comments' and while we understand it, there are so many newbies and low level users using the internet that simple changes such as feedback versus comments completely throw them for a loop. Believe it or not, just moving the location of an icon will prevent them from using an application.

-Kimberly.

P.S. The version thing is broken so I manually edited to indicate that I am using b2evo v 2.4.2

2 Aug 19, 2008 19:43

You'd be amazed how many times this question has been asked .. and answered ;)

Slap your mouse over the "search" button at the top of your screen and left click .... when ( eventually ) the next screen pops up slap "Leave Feedback" in the search text box and then scroll down and hover over the .... urm ... probably says "search" or "submit" or summat else unimaginative ... anyway, hover over that button and, using the same left-click movements as before, left click

The world is your oyster ;)

¥

3 Aug 21, 2008 15:58

¥åßßå wrote:

You'd be amazed how many times this question has been asked .. and answered ;)

Slap your mouse over the "search" button at the top of your screen and left click .... when ( eventually ) the next screen pops up slap "Leave Feedback" in the search text box and then scroll down and hover over the .... urm ... probably says "search" or "submit" or summat else unimaginative ... anyway, hover over that button and, using the same left-click movements as before, left click

The world is your oyster ;)

¥

I am properly ashamed. I usually do use the search feature first, but it was late and I wasn't entirely awake and thinking clearly. Consider me properly chastised.

4 Aug 21, 2008 18:25

sorry, I was having one of those days ;)

Did you find your answer or are you still looking for oysters?

¥

5 Aug 22, 2008 18:14

¥åßßå wrote:

sorry, I was having one of those days ;)

Did you find your answer or are you still looking for oysters?

¥

Who cares about oysters, I am only interested in the pearls.

6 Aug 22, 2008 19:03

*throws diamonds in the bin* ... ack, this must be another of those days, karma is an arse :(

¥

7 Aug 22, 2008 19:17

Yes, I found my answer after trying several different query strings. If it is asked a lot, they must be asking in cryptic ways.

The solution I found showed it was hardcoded in my skin. I have used similar apps where all of the text thingys were stored in an array. This made it easy to translate to different languages and one could switch languages in midstream. Of course it wouldn't change the text of the content, but it would change the text of all the links and such.

I actually saw the code of course, but was not sure of the syntax.

'type' => 'feedbacks', to 'type' => 'comments',

I am not a php programmer although I mess about a bit with php as I install scripts, plus I have had a few classes in programming. I found that if I had the c capitalised, it caused an error message to be generated but without any real info as to why. Do you have any idea why the cap C caused an error?

Thanks, Kimberly.

8 Aug 22, 2008 19:21

¥åßßå wrote:

*throws diamonds in the bin* ... ack, this must be another of those days, karma is an arse :(

¥

Hi ¥åßßå. You know you're supposed to stick to really short answers right? I mean, haven't we figured out that when you write multiple sentences everything gets all buggered up then I have to come along and bail you out?

Hi Kimberly!

Check out http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?p=78651#78651 and see if that helps a bit. By the way you might find that your skin will need that change done to a different file. For example evopress uses a different 'template' or file to create single post pages, 'post as page' pages, and multipost pages. Those would be called single.main.php and page.main.php and posts.main.php respectively. Anyway if you have those extra files you'll want to make the edit to each type. The reason for that is kinda cool. Like, for example a "post as page type" might not have any feedback features, or (in the case of evopress) singles and pages don't get a sidebar. But yeah you sorta gotta know which file in your skin is the one to play with.

Oh snap! Normally I would point you to http://doc.b2evolution.net/v-2-4/evocore/Item.html#methodfeedback_link but that function in the code doesn't have groovy notes that automagically make some helpful text. What I wanted to point out can sort of be seen at http://doc.b2evolution.net/v-2-4/__filesource/fsource_evocore__blogsincitemsmodel_item.class.php.html#a1513 but it ain't obvious. Basically you can have different choices for

'type' => 'feedbacks',

Like, feedbacks or comments or trackbacks but I digress...

Dig on these three bits from the feedback_link function in your skin's file:

'link_text_zero' => '#',
'link_text_one' => '#',
'link_text_more' => '#',

There you get to change what the default is for when a post has no feedbacks, or one feedback, or more than one feedback. The # symbol tells the code "use the default value" so there you go. If you change it to something like

'link_text_zero' => 'no one wants to talk to me?',
'link_text_one' => 'this beautiful post only gets one comment?!?!?',
'link_text_more' => 'look at all my wonderful comments!',

you will magically see your creative writing in place of the stock stuff.

Groovy eh?

9 Aug 22, 2008 19:27

Day late and a dollar short eh?

Yeah other apps use the model where all text is stored in a localization file and the code simply calls it at the appropriate points. phpbb does that. Personally I'm not into it because it means first I find the what string produces the text then I can find where in the code it comes from. OTOH this method means there is no "English" translation file, which sometimes messes with people. Poedit is the tool of choice for b2evolution translators so it's all good.

Anyway!

'type' => 'comments',

works because 'comments' is a case covered by the switch statement in the feedback_link function, but 'Comments' isn't. The default for that switch is

default:
				debug_die( "Unknown feedback type [{$params['type']}]" );

10 Aug 22, 2008 19:38

Thanks for the help. I am learning more about skinning b2evloution v. 2. My first blog engine was serendipity and it was really hard to skin. I dropped it after a week and installed b2evloution and I have been so happy with it.

11 Aug 22, 2008 19:41

EdB wrote:

'type' => 'comments',

works because 'comments' is a case covered by the switch statement in the feedback_link function, but 'Comments' isn't. The default for that switch is

default:
				debug_die( "Unknown feedback type [{$params['type']}]" );

I figured that out, I was changing the wrong thing.

I am starting to know enough to skin my site the way I want it to be. A good forum is hard to beat when it comes to learning an app.

Thanks again.
-Kimberly.

12 Aug 23, 2008 17:55

EdB wrote:

Hi ¥åßßå. You know you're supposed to stick to really short answers right? I mean, haven't we figured out that when you write multiple sentences everything gets all buggered up then I have to come along and bail you out?

*hangs head in shame* ... sorry, I just get effusive at times :(

Kimberly wrote:

A good forum is hard to beat when it comes to learning an app.

It's even better when I remain succinct :roll:

¥

Form is loading...