Recent Topics

1 Feb 01, 2009 06:28    

Import/Export blog feature like wordpress!!! :-/

2 Feb 01, 2009 06:46

What version of what software would you prepare an export for? And plus think of it this way: how much time would you want your development team to spend so that your 'customers' could easily use another product?

What version of what software would you prepare an import for? As other software changes you will have to update your software to properly import, so you either give up or continually track changes elsewhere.

Not saying this is a bad thing - just that it is very difficult to manage. Especially when everyone who does the code for this package is volunteering their time and talents.

Oh and wordpress is crap. Total morons use blogspot. Slightly less stupid people use wordpress. Smart people are here.

3 Feb 01, 2009 14:51

Wow you are right.. b2evolution is the best..

4 Jul 14, 2009 13:16

bump!

I also would like to see a b2evo export/import feature

Edb, I'm sorry but i have to disagree with you in some points:

What version of what software would you prepare an export for?

Wordpress 2.9 would be fine, if i'm not going to stay in wp, i can easily export from wp to other blog engines.

And plus think of it this way: how much time would you want your development team to spend so that your 'customers' could easily use another product?

You cannot keep your customers as hostages! it's not fair! if they want to move away, let'em go.

Not saying this is a bad thing - just that it is very difficult to manage. Especially when everyone who does the code for this package is volunteering their time and talents.

I know that there's a lot of effort and sacrifice involved developing an Open Source Software, i do think that you guys from b2evolution rock! Always that I needed I found a good and fast help from the community and from the developers I have no doubt that b2evo is great, but it doesn't suit all my needs.

Oh and wordpress is crap. Total morons use blogspot. Slightly less stupid people use wordpress. Smart people are here.

You should not say things like this, it's not nice. You cannot judge people for the "blog engine that they use", it's just a tool, and I would say that the perfect tool is the one that best suit all your needs, If I want to write a blog about flowers, and i have no idea of how a webhosting works, or even what kind of animal is PHP, blogspot would be perfect for me!
Btw, I know some real cool people that use blogspot. And I dont feel like a "Slightly less stupid people" just because i want to use wp.

EdB I just hope that you don't get mad with me or missunderstand me, this is just my opinion about what you said. I do respect your (and other developers/ comunnity members) contributions to b2evolution, but in fact I do need to change my blog engine.

I would create a new topic requesting for this feature import/export but sam2kb would probably lock it again :P lol

Thanks

5 Jul 14, 2009 16:20

you & we are not "customers" by any means, noone is treating anybody as 'hostages', even if you did donate that wouldnt make you a 'customer' either.. so you lose this debate at the very beginning..
OTOH, it might be nice if b2 did have such an import-exporter, but you wouldnt want your developers to spend their limited hours they put in this OS-volunteer- project on such a thing..

and if you think you made a mistake and want to swtich to wordpress it's 'your mistake'. There are thousands of reviews, spec sheets for cms' & blog systems, moreover in addition to these softwares online demo's there are other shedloads of websites those allow you to test them entirely, and if you tell you wouldn't able to make a right decision without trying every single bit -like installing plugins etc.- do a 'local install' and fiddle with it to infinity... all those leave you a very very tiny margin of making a mistake, and if you do that, you shouldnt blame others 'cause they do not allow you to correct your own mistake

6 Jul 14, 2009 16:33

We really need a exporter/importer.
and maybe a wp-exporter.

7 Jul 14, 2009 16:53

I would create a new topic requesting for this feature import/export but sam2kb would probably lock it again Big Razz lol

Isn't this thread good enough for you? 8| Why do you need another one?

Back to the topic. I have a new version of [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=18175]Feed Importer plugin[/url] which can import CSV files and import/export b2evo blogs. The bad thing (good for me) it's not free.

You can always "export" your posts in RSS2 or ATOM format. Most of CMS can import feeds.

8 Jul 14, 2009 17:16

Yes, but so you don't have a way to import/export comments ;)

9 Jul 14, 2009 17:20

If you're talking about RSS export, we have comments feeds for this ;)
And you can import/export comments using Feed Importer as well.

10 Jul 14, 2009 17:21

really? OMG.. import comments and attach they to the right posts?

11 Jul 14, 2009 17:23

Actually import posts and [u]comments[/u] altogether

12 Jul 14, 2009 18:28

Hello again,

@tilqicom Maybe I did a wrong use of word, English is not my natural language, i was using the word customers to referrer as "people who use b2evo" not related to someone who "pays or not" this wasn't my idea,

Please allow me to rewrite the sentence?

You cannot keep your users as hostages! it's not fair! if they want to move away, let'em go.

better?
btw, its not a matter of winning or loosing "this debate", its a matter of discuss a problem.

and if you think you made a mistake and want to swtich to wordpress it's 'your mistake' (...)you shouldn't blame others 'cause they do not allow you to correct your own mistake

More than 1 year ago, I made lots of tests and investigation before migrating to b2evo, i was sure about moving from wp to b2evo, the multiblog feature sounded very attractive (and it really is very attractive) but now I believe that its time to move on and change my blog engine again. I'm not blaming no one, I'm sure that the decisions that i took in the past are my responsibility, but at the same time, I don't have any other place outside of this forum to ask for help.

@sam2kb: about the lock, it was a joke :P

About the import using rss... I already tried but I'm just able to export/import the posts. I couldn't find a way of "import posts and comments altogether"

How can I do this? If I'm able to import the posts+comments (with author name, and preferable with email and webaddress) the problem is solved, i can discard the registered users if rss is an option of exporting/importing.
For broken permalinks, categories, tags, i will try to fixem with mod_rewrite, and other resources available on the other side.

Btw, please don't miss understand me, it's nothing personal, I do have lots of admiration and good things to say about the b2evo community, and b2evo is a great software, but I need to move to another solution that fits my needs.

14 Jul 14, 2009 18:49

Export posts as RSS > Import RSS as posts suggestion of sam2kb sounds reasonable

15 Dec 02, 2010 09:22

I'm sorry to say but I do feel a little hostage. Do a Google search on convert or export B2 evolution to Wordpress' or import B2 Evolution to Wordpress and you will find only old links for old versions some of which go back 6 years but most at least 2.

The only solutions are to downgrade B2E to and old version which I never found a clear technical explanation of or retype messages into a new blog (which can be automated with a script but gives only fairly poor results).

It's understandable that the hard work that has gone into B2E may seem somewhat wasted if people want to convert away and that's a purely human aspect, and while I sympathise with the sentiments of tilqicom, I am rather more in harris404's position.

I now have to leave in place an old blog which probably wont be updated and have a lot of work to do to re-use old articles which are only relevant in the context of the time they were written (conversion of dates)

P.S. The [url=http://worth2read.org/blog/2009/01/31/import-from-b2evolution246-to-wordpress-27/]URL suggested above by sam2kb[/url] offers only a conversion script in exchange for payment.

16 May 27, 2011 21:08

i read all the posts and agree with posts

Form is loading...