Recent Topics

1 Feb 07, 2009 17:42    

I've built myself a LAMP server based on Ubuntu server 8.04 LTS distribution, and have then added the KDE desktop to it. I asked this question across at the Ubuntu forums, but ended up with no usable responses - a common situation I've found over there for some reason. I just wondered whether we had any experienced Linux 'admins' in the house who might be able to give me a pointer to what would normally be done in the real world.

"I set-up 'vsftpd' without too many problems, but in order to allow FTP access to /var/www, I had to change that folders ownership to a group containing 'administrator' and another test user I created an account for. This allowed me to drop files in and out of that folder as desired, but in doing that the files I'm putting in there (mainly PHP) pick up that ownership and won't run when called remotely from a broswer. It's easy enough to extend the privileges to 'Group' and 'Others' as needed after I've FTP'd them across, but it's a bit of a PITA to do with every file I put in there. This is obviously something to do with the folder ownership, but I'm not sure the best way of configuring the permissions to allow access via FTP whilst giving remote users access from their browsers. Any suggestions?"

2 Feb 07, 2009 18:12

Chris of Arabia wrote:

I just wondered whether we had any experienced Linux 'admins' in the house who might be able to give me a pointer to what would normally be done in the real world.

Short answer :
if you want a desktop environment on your server, install windows ... this will also cure all your permissions problems :D

Longer answer :
1) Kill the desktop, only window server admins need desktops :|

2) The folder should be owner/group of the actual user ( don't use administrator, create a new user with bugger all permissions / groups )

3) The files/folders need to be world readable ( assuming your php runs as nobody/apache ), a much better way is to install mod_suphp

¥

Form is loading...