Recent Topics

1 Feb 15, 2009 18:45    

I need your help! I've put in an application for "The Best Job in the World". The 60-second video application was posted on Feb 11th:

http://www.islandreefjob.com/#/applicants/watch/7AudvMYpYh8

Please view the video, vote for it - 5 stars ;) - and SPREAD the word. If you can write a post on your blog about it, great! Tell your friends!! My video is *currently* one of the "most popular" of over 12,000 entries. Help keep it that way!

Let's show Australia that b2evo is a world-wide force!

(If hired, one of the tasks is to blog ... sure would be pretty cool to have the "Island Caretaker Blog" running on b2evolution). ;-)

Key Dates

1) Feb 22nd - Application deadline. (Need to "get their attention" to make the next cut.

2) Mar 2 - Mar 24 - Voting for the 50 short-listed candidates (This is when the voting and # of views REALLY counts)

For more details on the Island Caretaker Job, head [url=http://randsco.com/index.php/2009/01/17/the_best_job_in_the_world]here[/url]

Thanks (in advance) for your support. :D

PS - ¥åßßå wins too - he gets a 6-month Canadian holiday! (house-sitting our place)

PPS - The islandreefjob.com server is likely to be slow, as it's getting hammered from all over the world. Hit the link and be patient. ;)

3 Feb 18, 2009 12:56

yea the vid is great but the demo pic of the post is a bit strange.. no offence but you lack photoshop skills stk :).. it is pshopped right ? otherwise i have to say you lack head-body ratio :p

edit: yes, it's photoshopped, than you only lack in ps skills nothing is wrong with ur head

note to self: photo zoom has image descriptions on hover

4 Feb 18, 2009 19:33

Whew @ head! :p

Yeah, I never really meant to "use" the picture ... I was just "playing" at the time (picked a crappy image to start).

Yes @ photoshop ... just a self-taught neophyte. Happily ship you images to play with? 0:-)

5 Feb 18, 2009 19:36

I was thinking "just because you have a small head doesn't mean everyone else doesn't have a normal one" :p

6 Feb 18, 2009 19:38

G'day, b2evo mates! Thanks for your support!

Scott's 60-second video application for the Tourism Queensland "Best Job in the World" has been well received. It is currently the THIRD MOST POPULAR VIDEO (out of over 19,000 applications that have received thus far. Woo Hoo!

Scott's Video:
http://www.islandreefjob.com/#/applicants/watch/7AudvMYpYh8

The application deadline (Feb 22nd) is rapidly approaching and the Queensland Tourism website is being hammered with last-minute applications, which means that server response is slow.

HOWEVER - Continue to view and VOTE (5-stars) for Scott's video! Tell your friends. The view count has been frozen at 3,800 for 24 hours, but votes and views STILL COUNT!

March 2nd is when Tourism Queensland announces the 50 short-listed candidates and I'm hoping to make the cut.

Thanks for your help!

7 Feb 18, 2009 19:44

some arse who's great grandad broke some trivial law reserved for the poor wrote:

G'day yabba,
Sorry mate, we don't accept bribes ... guess you'll just have to put up with the snow around yer mates cabin when he wins?

We hear yah when you say "please don't make me inhabit the same tectonic plate as those bloody yanks! :'(", haven't we thanked you enough for not putting us on the bloody mayflower? .... sheesh, get over it already you pommie arse.

Have a great day :D
some smilin' aussie git

Looks like you've won the job :D

¥

8 Feb 19, 2009 17:38

Holy Great Barrier Reef, Batman ... woke up to a little under 5200 votes and #1 spot on the most popular page!

Wow! the b2evo community rocks! thanks for all your help! (Having a steady stream of votes from around the globe helps. A special thanks to the "night shift" in England, Europe and Asia!)

got a late night email from a friend in Port Albeni whose been pushing the video and yesterday, I got a fire-hall buddy with 750 friends on facebook to email everyone on his list. Mind you, I think I voted a couple of times for myself too! SPREAD THE WORD

Keep up the great work! It's just starting to get out of hand! :D

Last minute applications cratered the website yesterday, but they've [url=http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/19/2495437.htm]wheeled in more servers[/url]. Response time has GREATLY improved!!
(Thanks John, for the tip) ;)

9 Feb 20, 2009 16:29

Hmmm ... yesterday was weird. The video received a whack-load of votes (2000+), which is just crazy. However, there must've been a bunch of 1-star votes, because the rating dropped. (As a result, it dropped off - WAY OFF - the Most Popular page.

When the dust settled, it landed on page 3 of "most viewed".

Now has 7200+ votes.

Need your help more than ever! Keep viewing, telling your friends and - importantly - voting (5-stars?!) :D

Thanks!!

[url=http://www.islandreefjob.com/#/applicants/watch/7AudvMYpYh8]video LINK[/url]

10 Feb 20, 2009 16:56

Did you happen to notice who moved way up the list? Cuz it sounds like someone figured out how to game the system automagically.

11 Feb 20, 2009 17:11

Ohhh bugger, sorry that was me, I was playing with greasemonkey and set all text to rtl .... I thought I was clicking the 5 star :(

.. just kidding

I deliberately voted you down after you told me that you'd drink the whole 3 months supply of beer in 2 months with "you should get a months worth if you recycle the tinnies mate" :|

some bloody mate wrote:

tuxnus: yeah, just take the tins in for recycling, sure to be a months worth

¥

12 Feb 20, 2009 17:46

Fer a Brit, you have thin skin. :|

and

a fat [RTN] key.

13 Feb 20, 2009 17:51

EdB constantly berates me for making multi-line posts .... guess wisdom does come with age :P

¥

14 Feb 21, 2009 04:23

THANKS!

With your 5-star voting help, I've (again) landed on the MOST POPULAR page!!

The video is also (currently) on the #3 MOST VIEWED page.

Not bad, considering it was only added to the site just over a week ago!!

Keep viewing ... keep voting ... keep telling your friends!!

15 Feb 21, 2009 05:58

8700 views! Page 1 'Most Popular', Page 2 'Most Views'!!

16 Feb 21, 2009 06:15

Thats more posts in a week, than you have made in the last 2 years :)

Only ONE day to go ...

17 Feb 21, 2009 06:16

till the applications close. :|

18 Feb 21, 2009 06:51

So, voting is still allowed after nominations?

Click, click, click

19 Feb 21, 2009 07:38

Voting will definitely continue past the application deadline (to give last minute applications some "air/vote" time.

I also *believe* the tally will be reset to zero and the 50 will face a month-long vote-off from March 2 - March 26 (just a hunch)

20 Feb 21, 2009 07:44

How are you bearing up, under the strain of it all?

21 Feb 21, 2009 07:56

I could use a Foster's to help settle the nerves. :|

or two :p

22 Feb 21, 2009 19:43

10,366 views ... page 1 "Most Popular" (off and on) and MOVING UP page 2 "Most Views". Unreal.

Thanks for your support!!

23 Feb 21, 2009 21:49

As part of the whole preparation, on the possibility that you win, are you preparing Canada for 6 months of Yabba?

The whole country may hold you responsible when you return!!!

24 Feb 21, 2009 22:08

Well ... shhh ... I figure with 'is long hair and skinny frame, they'll likely deny entry. (We have a *cough* responsible house sitter in mind). :p

25 Feb 22, 2009 05:39

Vote NOW and tell everyone you know to vote! The video is on Page 1 of "Most Popular" and knocking on the door of Page 1 "Most Viewed" :D

Your votes matter, cause they help to keep the video on "Most Popular", which is like catching a viewing "wave"!!

Thanks for your help. :D

EDIT: Whoops ... forgot to tell the tally - 11800 B)

28 Feb 23, 2009 19:25

Hmmm, labatts or fosters .... tough decision ;)

¥

29 Feb 23, 2009 20:55

Got a mention in [url=http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/256975,passion-parade-for-australias-dream-job--feature.html]an online newspaper[/url]! (Right at the end of the article).

The Earth Times wrote:

Some applicants fall before the first hurdle. Olga, a Russian, is almost mute. Fellow Russian Stoyanov Lev declares his love for "the vegetative world."

Others are frighteningly professional. Canadian Scott Kimler claims a huge internet following already. "Hire me and I'll bring my family, my experience and half a million visitors to the islands," he promises.

30 Feb 23, 2009 21:21

A mute Russian! That's my dream girl.

31 Feb 23, 2009 22:02

lol ... I'd be happy with the younger Pamela Anderson! :D

32 Feb 23, 2009 22:42

nelsonguirado wrote:

A mute Russian! That's my dream girl.

With a family fortune already inherited!

And an island to live on (just to stay on topic ... sort of ;) )

33 Feb 25, 2009 02:47

Still sitting on page 1 "Most Viewed" and periodically bouncing on|off of the "Most Popular" page.

Now that they're no longer taking apps, I'm just sitting around, checking my email every half hour or so. :roll:

Thanks to all that helped by voting for my video. IF I make the top 50, I'll try to put in a good showing. :D

34 Feb 25, 2009 08:51

Well, the FG gave me a plug in the [url=http://b2evolution.net/news/2009/02/25/social-news-from-the-b2evolution-community]NEWS[/url] section.

In other news, there's an [url=http://tinyurl.com/cqpqbo]interesting thread[/url] happening in the "applicant social network website" (not really sure what to call the website, doesn't really have a name).

Keep up with the support! b2evo is rocking Australia!

Vote my video 5 stars, if you can: http://www.islandreefjob.com/#/applicants/watch/7AudvMYpYh8

35 Feb 26, 2009 20:00

Just found out ... I didn't make the top 50 cut. :(

I want to say "THANKS" to all those who voted for me.

For those that endorsed me with a blog post, please leave them up. I will be adding a special thank you page on my blog and linking to those posts. It really means a LOT to me that so many were backing me.

The b2evo community rocks!

Now ... back to being caretaker of Vancouver Island ... :D

OH ... I guess I can reveal my secret weapon for the next round -> www.island-caretaker.com 8|

36 Feb 26, 2009 21:51

Oh dear. We will need to open a counselling service for Scott and Yabba.
Line like... "It's not winning that's important, it's the joy of participation." etc etc.

Leaves the room before I get a black eye!

37 Feb 26, 2009 21:55

Scott, people on this forum are likely to vote for you everyday you remind them.

I suggest you do this:
-use the same avatar picture as the "best candidate" pic people have seen before
-update your signature to something along "have you given the b2evo candidate his 5 stars today? please don't forget to vote again today (link)" or whatever sounds better than that ;)

38 Feb 26, 2009 21:55

(and I should probaly update my yellow face avatar too :p)

39 Feb 27, 2009 10:48

fplanque wrote:

(and I should probaly update my yellow face avatar too :p)

Sure !
and same for me

Form is loading...