Recent Topics

1 Feb 17, 2009 07:40    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

A plugin that can make a button or something next to a link so the user can click when link is broken.

2 Feb 17, 2009 08:25

Hi tesyoo. How can this be your third first post?

I mean, I saw one and was thinking about it but didn't have an answer for ya. I refreshed the page and suddenly it was a different question. Well I was pretty much done for the day so I figured someone else will help with this "new first post" or I'd find it in the "unanswered posts" thing one day and see what I could do. Now here I see another post by you but your post count is still at 1.

I'm confused. Are your previous posts disappearing for some reason? It'd be really weird to find out that for some reason your account can't get past 1 is the thing.

3 Feb 17, 2009 08:53

The first another post i make nobody answer and then i was eager to find the answer so i search the forum and mess with the code finally find the answer. I change post 2 times because i have another question after i solved the first one.

"Are your previous posts disappearing for some reason?"
It didnt disappear i just deleted it, so when i delete it my post became zero again. Don't worry the forum dont have any bug!

Can you help me to make the plugin?

4 Feb 17, 2009 15:10

I think a plugin like that would be beyond my wildest dream. Once upon a time I knew of a free utility that would visit your web page and tell you how which of your links were dead links. To do that it has to read your web and then go visit the page to see if it gets an error message. It was COOL! Back then I had a very popular page with roughly 300 links to sites about a hobby of mine. So it was really nice to, once in a while, check if the links were still working or not.

For a plugin to do that would be very hard, to say the least. For example it would have to look at all your posts to see if there was a "link to URL" value, then 'read' all your posts to see if there was any links in them, then try to go visit all of them and see if there are any that return an error message.

Maybe some of the really smart people here can do this, but I'm sure I can't. I'm not smart. I'm just a forum guy.

On that note let me give you a bit of advice. Please don't edit or move your posts like you've been doing. It would be much nicer to the community if, after finding your own answer, you shared the answer with the community. Because the next person who wants to know what you figured out will be lucky that you shared the answer.

Plus http://forums.b2evolution.net/search.php?search_id=unanswered will never have a post of yours, which means the people here who try to answer questions will never be able to get around to answering yours.

Back on topic: awesome idea for a plugin. Hard to do, but maybe someone else will see this (unless you try to edit it into something totally different).

5 Feb 18, 2009 07:34

@EdB i think you misunderstood my question.
The plugin im talking about is based on human not machine.
Maybe i can explain it more.
Im make a post and the post have a link to a file something like zip.
Then a person will want to download the file but there error, the file missing.
The person can leave a comment about it to let me know the link is broken. While i dont want him to do that so is there a plugin that can make a button next to the link and if the link is broken all the person have to do is click it to alarm me.
Then when i go to the back office there will be a message about the link is broken so i can fix it.

Is that possible?

7 Feb 18, 2009 09:52

it seem like we both have a same idea, did you found any solution to it. That post is long ago.

8 Feb 23, 2009 17:44

Maybe a good 404 page, with a link to contact form could work ;)

9 Feb 24, 2009 02:29

the people are usually too lazy to send something like that, we just want to click something it easier.

10 Feb 24, 2009 08:51

Ah but a good 404 would have a one-click link to report a broken link, which would be much easier for a lazy person than going back to the page to click a link eh?

11 Feb 25, 2009 05:26

this will even works if the url is pointing to another site?

12 Feb 25, 2009 08:20

Of course not. I mean, the visitor will get a 404 from the other site so how could it?

But hey let's back up a bit. It seems to me what you're saying is you want your visitors to maintain your website. That doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it make more sense for you to use http://validator.w3.org/checklink and see what broken links you have?

A 404 with a request to inform you of broken links on your site is a great way to actually use a 404 page, but ultimately if it's your website then shouldn't you maintain it? I just did my website in the link checker and got told "Error : forbidden". I've no idea why that happened so I guess I'll have to learn and let 'em in eh? I ran it on another site I do and it showed me a few links I didn't know were either broken or are permanently redirected. So now I can fix some stuff when I find the time.

15 Mar 28, 2009 18:13

it should be possible to use the contact form to message admin..

here is how i think it may be done:

place a link somewhere near the post which will;
automatically replace the 'subject' field of the contact form with the 'permanent url' of the post..

so that you will an empty message including the post including broken link..

------------------------------

ideally it could be like this;

again the link will automatically include the permalink, but in 'message' area this time, and the 'subject' should be "broken link".. i ll have a look at it sometime.. it should be pretty easy to achieve if it is actually doable as i think

-------------------------------

worst case scenario may be, creating a custom submisson form which will include the permanent url of the post again and converting it into a plugin - that sounds beyond my capability

16 Mar 28, 2009 18:20

reality check : I can count the number of broken links I've reported on the fingers of one hand and still be able to hold a beer in it ;)

¥

Form is loading...