Recent Topics

1 Mar 20, 2009 12:50    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Firstly let me apologise: I know I've seen an answer to this problem on the forum but I can't locate it now. How do you get rid of the link in the page title? It seems redundant especially using single post views, and it takes the page <h1></h1> tag to more than the recommended 40 characters in most of my blogs.

2 Mar 20, 2009 18:06

I'm pretty sure that's a setting in your admin area. On the "Blog settings -> pick a blog -> SEO" subtab ... of all places. Somehow b2evolution seems to think search engines love it when the title is the permalink, so that's the way it makes it happen. So you turn off the setting.

3 Mar 21, 2009 00:10

No that's the post title. I mean the blog title itself. The page title in other words. It's obviously linked so that readers can return to the latest posts easily but as I say SEs don't like too many characters in between the title <h1> tags.

4 Mar 21, 2009 00:22

Ah my bad. Lemme finish up something and see what I can figure out on that. What skin are you using?

5 Mar 21, 2009 00:35

Okay that's not so bad. You will have to hack inc/widgets/widgets/_coll_title.widget.php though. Towards the end of that file you'll see this:

$title = '<a href="'.$Blog->get( 'url', 'raw' ).'">'
					.$Blog->dget( 'name', 'htmlbody' )
					.'</a>';
$this->disp_title( $title );

Simply get rid of the bits that make the A tag and all you'll be left with is the blog name.

BTW I always doubt those who say "the search engines like this or that or the other thing" because it is always a moving target. Like, the search engines used to like meta tag keywords but will punish you if they don't actually align with the content of the page. That's a really old example eh? The point is once people think they got an angle on search engine methods and try to work towards that goal, the search engines change. IF they even had it figured out in the first place.

Plus I think search engines can figure out that the bits inside an A tag aren't actually characters... ;)

6 Mar 21, 2009 01:15

Ah yes, I see. My main problem was that I couldn't find where the widget styles were set. But now I have. Thank you.
I know what you mean about SEs. It's moving goal posts isn't it? But I'm using this SE tool which, although not really ideal for blogs, at least sets certain standards which I can apply to all my pages and I think consistency is quite important as a working guide. Anyway it decrees that titles should be no more than 40 characters so I'm trying to abide by that.

7 Mar 21, 2009 11:28

Hmmm. Ive edited it down to this:
$title = $Blog->dget( 'name', 'htmlbody' );
but Ive obviously done something wrongly as although the link on the blog title itself is gone, the whole of the header image now shows as if it is linked to something. No destination shows in the status bar and if you click it it just reloads the same page.

8 Mar 21, 2009 15:20

$title = $Blog->get( 'name', 'htmlbody' );

9 Mar 21, 2009 17:23

Strange link in header image still there. It doesn't matter too much cos it doesnt show as a link in the code and you only think there is one cos of the pointer showing a link present. I may have to get rid of the header image itself.

10 Mar 21, 2009 19:11

Can anyone but you see this? In other words, got link?

11 Mar 21, 2009 19:47

Sorry Ed, I know it's wimpish of me but I had a bad experience a few years ago when I got maliciously hacked after posting a link on a webmaster board. I wouldn't blame you if you were not prepared to help me further.
But if you do - I'm using evo camp and even though I've now replaced the title widget with a free HTML widget and removed the header background image, the blessed link still shows a ghostly presence. It must be something in the css as it doesn't show as code anywhere.

12 Mar 21, 2009 20:11

Well now I know it's in the body_header.inc.php I tried taking out this line altogether
<div id="header" onclick="location.href='<?php $Blog->disp('url') ?>'; "style="cursor: pointer;">
Although that worked, the blog body shifted to the left leaving the header centered. So I tried removing elements of the line with no success. The only thing that nearly worked was getting rid of the
"style="cursor: pointer;" part but I could still click on the header and reload the same page

13 Mar 21, 2009 20:25

He, he. Cracked it!!!
Removed this bit:
onclick="location.href='<?php $Blog->disp('url') ?>'; "style="cursor: pointer;"
All fine now.

Form is loading...