Recent Topics

1 Mar 23, 2009 18:57    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I finally decided to upgrade from 1.10.3 to 2.4.6.
But I came across a problem with accessing the Blog with Firefox: the CSS would not render the page.
It worked fine in IE, Opera, and Konqueror.
After much head-scratching, I found the issue with the help of the Firefox error console:
In the B2Evo zip file, everything is stored with the DOS line ending CR/LF.
On a Linux server, however, that results in Apache sending the css files with a text/plain MIME type instead of text/css. And Firefox refuses to use css files with a text/plain MIME type.
So, it is important on *nix to make sure that the files have *nix-style line endings.

2 Mar 23, 2009 19:06

Hi jfeise,

Is this specific to a skin?
I am pretty sure all hardcoded line endings are "\n" in the B2evolution package. However soft line endings (those made by the editor used) may well be CR/LF (depending on the developer ;) but I don't know a case where that could matter.
If you are complaining about the 'ugly' sourcecode generated especially in the sidebars, that's a known problem.

Good luck

3 Mar 23, 2009 20:54

Afwas wrote:

Hi jfeise,

Is this specific to a skin?
I am pretty sure all hardcoded line endings are "\n" in the B2evolution package. However soft line endings (those made by the editor used) may well be CR/LF (depending on the developer ;) but I don't know a case where that could matter.

As far as I know, it applies to all files. I didn't see rendering anywhere, not on the admin pages, and not on the blog.
I wasn't aware that it matters, either, but the Firefox error console told me that the browser ignored the CSS because it was not sent as text/css MIME type. This may also have been some weird caching by Apache. I restarted Apache. In any case, it had baffled me the whole day yesterday, until I got the idea to check the Firefox error console. And as soon as I changed the line endings, and only in one file, skins/evopress/style.css, the problem went away. This was also certainly not caching in the browser, since I tried it with a fresh Firefox on a Solaris machine, and had the same issue there.

If you are complaining about the 'ugly' sourcecode generated especially in the sidebars, that's a known problem.

I can live with that, as long as it is valid HTML.

Form is loading...