Recent Topics

1 Oct 15, 2009 23:28    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

After upgrading from 2.4.7 to 3.3.1 I am getting the tabs appearing out of place, it happens on most of the themes i have. Its started since the upgrade. Any reason why this is?

http://zerodivision.ca/media/blogs/DoH/untitled.JPG

http://zerodivision.ca/media/blogs/DoH/untitled2.JPG

2 Oct 16, 2009 10:17

O_O

Happens on the skin evoCamp and evoPress as well?

What's your resolution? (Just in case, but it shouldn't be the reason at all.)

3 Oct 16, 2009 10:47

My toolbar wraps as well when I reduce the browser to the size you have, and I have a far shorter "username" :)

Are you sure you have uploaded ALL new files because that toolbar was reworked for the new release. Check all skin_admin files are new plus related JS & CSS

4 Oct 16, 2009 12:57

John wrote:

My toolbar wraps as well when I reduce the browser to the size you have, and I have a far shorter "username" :)

Are you sure you have uploaded ALL new files because that toolbar was reworked for the new release. Check all skin_admin files are new plus related JS & CSS

Yeah! That's true, I remember it now, I got the toolbar problem appearing anywhere and everywhere.

To OP:
1) I suggest that you re-download the latest stable, then upload it to a temporary folder (eg "new-files").
2) Check your config file and update accordingly.
3) Create a temporary folder (eg "old-files") and move your current files there
4) Then go to your "new-files" folder and move all the files to your installation folder (if you installed b2evo on domain.tld/blog/ then move it there)
5) Then go to the install file of b2evo and choose Upgrade.

Then test the system using one of the default skins (I will suggest evoCamp or evoPress) and see if the toolbar works fine now.

^_^

5 Oct 17, 2009 00:07

I made sure that i uploaded the latest release as I just upgraded it yesterday. I also made sure i uploaded all the files. It happens on all of my skins except for cool blue. It also goes away if i lower the text size in my browser. I have vision probs so i have the text a bit larger than most would. My resolution is 800x600. Kind of odd coz it worked fine at these settings before the upgrade.

6 Oct 17, 2009 00:13

This may seem like a silly question, but where would you expect the links to go if there is not enough width available for them all?

800 wide with an increased font size means only so many characters can fit across the screen. The toolbar has more than can fit, so the extra bits must go somewhere! Your visitors, of course, do not see the toolbar meaning it is only a logged in person with your resolution and font size that can experience this problem.

BTW the same happens in v247 when I make the window too skinny for all the bits in the toolbar, only the extra bits that fall off the top row are not gray background - just text floating oddly where it doesn't belong.

7 Oct 17, 2009 00:28

i wouldnt expect it to change just because i upgraded it unless something has changed in the new release to cause it to do so? I realize that odd things happen when you mess with fonts and resolutions but i hadn't changed anything prior to upgrading.

8 Oct 17, 2009 00:47

The same thing happens in v2.4.7 and I have no doubt every release that has/had an evo toolbar.

The thing that changed is there is a bit more stuff in the toolbar now. Which is sort of to be expected. I mean, upon upgrading you expect things to change though sometimes the changes are not what one expected or even wanted. In this case I'd say it is both eh?

The diffs:
1. What used to be 'upload' now it is 'files *' where * is a little drop-down arrow for a menu.
2. The image indicating there is a drop-down submenu is now slightly wider it seems though I've no interest in finding the image and checking that for a fact. It looks it so there you go.
3. The absurdly stupid mandatory avatar for each user is now displayed on the toolbar, along with the slightly wider image for a drop-down menu.

I don't touch v3 because of all the crap in it, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that plugins can now hook into the evobar, which means it is very likely that one day your evobar will have even more slipping off the proper row. I'm not sure how it works though so this could be wrong. If for example plugin bits go into a drop-down menu then obviously it doesn't change the number of characters used on the top or main line.

Anyway a possible solution for you is to consider which bits of the evobar you don't find valuable and remove them by editing the appropriate file. I looked at it once and recall "well this won't be fun" but perhaps some bits of it are easily removed? I'll look again...

9 Oct 17, 2009 00:52

I just checked my old version through a backup and yeah, that "tool" bit wasn't even there so of course it shifted outta place after the upgrade. I really didn't notice much difference between the old vs the new so I think Ill stick to 2.4.7 for now. Thanks for the help

10 Oct 17, 2009 00:54

No prob. I just looked at the code for the toolbar and decided to not try to help any further. Even something as simple as getting rid of the "b2evolution" dropdown on the left seems impossible. That's too bad because the ONLY thing of any value up there is the "write" button. The only other place to find "write" is on the dashboard page.

evotoolbar. yuck.

Form is loading...