Recent Topics

1 Oct 01, 2011 15:37    

I'm very unhappy with the change in the "From" header of comment notifications in my blog. Up to the previous version, I could see there the name the commenter had chosen, and I knew in an instant if it was spam or not. Now, all comment notifications arrive from "b2evo-noreply", which is useless, because the subject of the email already says that it is a comment notification for my blog.

Please roll back this change? Or maybe let me choose? :-/

2 Oct 05, 2011 06:28

Support the comment from 'bit' - far preferred the earlier approach and if this is something that will not change can you advise me how to make my own change - a copy of the previous code snippet and where to place it would help.
Thanks

3 Oct 06, 2011 05:03

Direct link to edit comments in backoffice gone too! :( I don't want to load the whole blog page and browse for particular comment just to click the "delete" button.

re: "b2evo-noreply"
Instead of that, we should display all info about the user in email body like ip, name, email, maybe something else.

You can edit message text in "function send_email_notifications" method in /inc/comments/model/_comment.class.php, starting on line 2150

4 Oct 07, 2011 02:30

You should see a "quick moderation" link in all comment notifications. When clicking that you load a very light page and can moderate. This is designed to work fast even on smartphones.

If you don't see the link, then that's a bug.

We had ti change the from of the emails because people were having their mail servers put on blacklist "for sending out spam"... just because they actually sent out moderation emails to post authors.

Finding balance here is tough.

Please let me know if you have seen / tried out the quick moderation links. These make a real difference.

Thanks.

5 Oct 07, 2011 03:10

I don't think I understand. I'm talking about email notifications of comments in my blog. These are not moderation emails, but notifications of commenters, of random people who visit my blog.

About the "quick moderation" link: I don't see anything with that text. I suspect we're talking about different things.

But maybe I've got the installation wrong. I'll reinstall the latest version of b2evo and see what happens.

6 Oct 07, 2011 04:44

bit, it's very possible there is a bug.

The way I have my blogs set up is that people post comments as "drafts" and then I get emails that ask me to moderate that email and eithe rpublish, delete or ban.

What is your set up?

We can definitely check that the quick moderation link also appears in your setup.

7 Oct 07, 2011 07:11

"quick moderation" link doesn't appear when I get notification about published comments.
I get the link only if my custom antispam plugin marks the comment as "draft" to be checked manually. Well at least it was like that when b2evo 4 was beta.

Quick moderation link provides a way to edit/delete comments, it's also good to have one even if comment is published by default.

8 Oct 07, 2011 10:27

That must be it, because I also have it set to autopublish comments. I don't get that many commenters... ;)

9 Oct 13, 2011 00:09

I confirm.
I added quick moderation to published comment notifications.
It will be in version 4.1.2 :)

11 Oct 15, 2011 01:24

If I understand correctly, that wouldn't solve the issue I'm talking about. To click on the "quick moderation" link I have to open the email. What I'm saying is that receiving a notification from "b2evo-noreply" doesn't tell me anything about the comment's authenticity.

In fact, I think this would be VERY easy to solve without triggering spam filters: if the SUBJECT of every comment notification said, for example, "New comment from ... in post ..." instead of simply "New comment in post ...", I would have the information I need at a glance, just as before. Then the "From:" header wouldn't need to change.

12 Oct 15, 2011 17:19

I have not upgraded to 4.1.1 yet and this is one of the reasons why.

I also dislike the change "From" and simply cannot see any reason or justification for making this modification
(other than the obvious it can be done)

I guess I could go searching the code for where it fill this field and figure out how to replace it but there are more pressing things to do than make my life even more difficult during an upgrade.

This sort of change to the fundamentals should be an option, at the very least. I don't see any largegroup of users screeming out for the change - so it wasn't wanted, isn't needed and has been a waste of someone's time that could have been better used.

13 Oct 18, 2011 13:10

Oh, now that we're talking about it and the FG is reading, ;) the comment spam I'm receiving comes without a Web address, so it isn't possible to do any kind of spam flagging from the comment list (no red crossed circle icon). I can only delete them. It would be nice to be able to flag them anyway, because those email addresses and supposed "names" are very flaggable.

Form is loading...