Recent Topics

1 Feb 18, 2012 01:34    

Hello everyone. I hope you can take a moment to help me.

I have created a new skin from my website style . .

I have followed the tutorial and have my blog template with all image paths and css paths etc all working correctly and they appear accurate in dreamweaver.

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Create_a_new_skin

Now that I upload the file (you'll see this by clicking blog link, obv) the background and wrapper seem to be correct and have the correct styling but no other aspect of my layout is displayed . .

I reckon it's got something to do with containers, although i'm not sure.

can someone please point me in the right direction in terms of getting my blog to look just like the rest of my layout at all ?

Thanks alot, Alan

p.s. The only I have posted a link to my site here is for the purpose of explanation. absolutely nothing to do with backlinks or anything like that at all . . . I have no interest in spamming and I really appreciate this product and it's community.

2 Feb 18, 2012 02:01

that manual is more outdated than a pilgrim in an apple store.
As far as i see, you got everything in place content-wise, all you need to do is to do some css play.Report back when when you get stuck / need help, but currently i cant understand where you need it.

3 Feb 18, 2012 02:07

Thanks tilqicom . . . . .

tbh, If around 4 hours and now hitting a brick wall defines stuck, then I am stuck. lol . . .

your right, I'm nearly there , , , when u say css play, would u know where to start because as I say . . . everything in my html and css is working and correct. The _main.php file looks identical to all my other pages yet no other aspect of the web page, seems to be displaying in my blog layout. . .

I would really appreciate it if you could suggest what to change . . so near but yet so far tilqicom.

4 Feb 18, 2012 02:14

alwightman wrote:

Thanks tilqicom . . . . .

tbh, If around 4 hours and now hitting a brick wall defines stuck, then I am stuck. lol . . .

your right, I'm nearly there , , , when u say css play, would u know where to start because as I say . . . everything in my html and css is working and correct. The _main.php file looks identical to all my other pages yet no other aspect of the web page, seems to be displaying in my blog layout. . .

I would really appreciate it if you could suggest what to change . . so near but yet so far tilqicom.

well, afai see, you have pasted your website's css into style.css, like

#logofooter {
    width: 200px;
}
#skypeicon {
    float: left;

But i dont see any matching elements in html.The div classes and stuff are still blog's default theme's.Suit your selectors and you should be fine

5 Feb 18, 2012 02:21

Yes, you are right tilqicom . . I have pasted my full css into style.css and i pasted my full html into _main.php . . .

I then used the tut as a guide and managed to read beyond the antiquaited bits and added the php and the blog content into my main content div #topleft . . I then changed the paths in both of the above files to all of my images, hence why in dreamseaver the _main.php looks fine . . .

I almost get you here tilqicom . . . if you have the time could u try once more with a more detailed explanation and i'll go from there . .

i really appreciate your time btw

p.s. that css and html is all my own writen code . . . not the blog template

6 Feb 18, 2012 02:51

you need to play with ""index.main.php" , "_main.php" does nothing i suppose.

7 Feb 18, 2012 02:54

Now . . the "why didn't I think of that" has just popped into my head . . :)

You've been a great help tilqicom . . . I'll get cracking on that and hopefully the next time I post it will be with a complete and accurate blog , i hope.

Thanks a lot

8 Feb 18, 2012 03:08

almost there buddy (:

9 Feb 18, 2012 03:12

yup , , , getting there . . . my javascript nav and slider don't seem to operate however . . . i'm sure i'll crack it but if you have a pointer , please post it :)

10 Feb 18, 2012 03:43

alwightman wrote:

yup , , , getting there . . . my javascript nav and slider don't seem to operate however . . . i'm sure i'll crack it but if you have a pointer , please post it :)

you didnt load sliderman.js into your blog, therefore you get "Sliderman is not defined"

11 Feb 18, 2012 03:57

I see . . . I'm trying to put either the full js folder and as an alternative each individual js file for sliderman and for nav into my "wightmanweb" skin folder and it is still not working . . .

Is this the right place to put these files or should they go in my blogs folder ?

12 Feb 18, 2012 04:04

the files may stay whereever they were.you didnt include the js in source.
open your ../blog/skins/your_skin/_html.header.inc.php

and load the script in your <head> <script type="text/javascript" src="......sliderman.js"></script>
or before closing body tag in _html.footer.php , your choice.

Btw, 36kb script(sliderman) is just too much for such a simple slider.Use jquery.cycle.min if you ask me.

13 Feb 18, 2012 04:20

Yaeh, your defo right right with the slider. I was messing with this one but I will opt for cycle in future . . .

I have neither of the files that u mentioned in my blog. within ../blog/skins/your_skin/ there is no sign of either . . . do I need to get them from somewhere and add them or what ?

_html.header.inc.php or _html.footer.php

14 Feb 18, 2012 04:29

by "../blog/skins/your_skin/" i mean

"...co.uk/blogs/skins/wightmanweb/"

but seems that you dont have html.header or html.footer files in your skin, so it gets them from one folder up ../skins/. Just copy the file you need from there into your skin folder so that it will read from there and modify it accordingly

15 Feb 18, 2012 04:38

hhhmmm . . . thats a strange one . . your explanation is great and i'm sure i'm doing it right but it still isnt working . . .

I'm gonna call it a night for now . . . can I just say you are an asset to the community and you've helped me hugely tonight . . .

I'll sleep on it and persivere and i'll be back in touch . . . I'll look forward to contributing to the community in the near future myself . .

Thanks, Alan

16 Feb 19, 2012 02:49

Yup . . stuck with that javascript problem . .

put me out my misery if u can . . . still cant get my nav or slider to operate

17 Feb 19, 2012 12:27

You still dont have the script loaded anywhere.
Copy

blogs/skins/_html_header.inc.php

to

blogs/skins/wightmanweb/

and then open

blogs/skins/wightmanweb/_html_header.inc.php

and add

<script src="http://www.wightmanweb.co.uk/js/sliderman.1.3.6.js" type="text/javascript">

18 Feb 19, 2012 13:29

hi tilqicom .....

this really is a strange one ... ive taken the file down now, but when I carry out your instructions, and upload the /skins/wightmanweb/_html_header.inc.php file the blog now no longer comes up at all ...

Ive pulled the file just now ,,, what can I be doing wrong ?

19 Feb 19, 2012 14:53

you probably have it all in index.main.php.
Simply load the js

<script src="http://www.wightmanweb.co.uk/js/sliderman.1.3.6.js" type="text/javascript">

inside your <head> in the file

20 Feb 19, 2012 14:58

Hi mate . . I managed to crack it by adding it to the /skin/_html_header.inc.php without moving that file into my /skins/wightmanweb/ . . . its now all working well . . . . .

Just trying to find a method of limiting the text volume on each post on my main blog page . . . .

i'd like it so that If i were to write a blog with say 1000 words then on the main page where I have 3 blogs featured, I'd like each post to be limited to say 100 words with something like >>read more link attached to reveal the full post . . .

I wonder if you know how I would do this

21 Feb 19, 2012 15:28

When writing the post insert read more where you want to truncate it

22 Feb 20, 2012 12:12

Thanks a great deal tilqicom . . . I am still struggling to get my truncation working as I want it too . . . however, I just want to take a moment to thank you again as I wouldn't have got this far with out you.

hat's off to ya buddy :)

Form is loading...