Recent Topics

1 Sep 25, 2012 03:42    

b2 lacks extensions, especially template (skins) which the whole userbase needs (novice bloggers to advanced users).

To make templating easier and yet more advanced we need something like a framework i think.
I have started to build my own, but:
1- i have limited php knowledge, dont have much b2 core knowledge + the docs and manual mostly sucks to get help where stuck.
2- also dont have much time to develop it alone, neither does anyone else in the forums.

I am recommending porting one called "gantry", check it out here:
http://www.gantry-framework.org/

Not only it is the best, in my experiences but ita also has a wp version, which i think may make it easier to port over to b2.
If we are up to it, i promise to chip in more than i ever did.

2 Nov 20, 2012 02:06

Are there several designs available once you use this framework?

Or would it be like a "Gantry skin" (with lots of config options)

3 Nov 20, 2012 02:14

fplanque wrote:

Are there several designs available once you use this framework?

Or would it be like a "Gantry skin" (with lots of config options)

nope, unfortunately.As far as i know it only has a skeleton skin to see grids and div's but no child templates.

However there are plenty of templates using this framework (for both joomla & wordpress) to see what might be done with it.

We would ideally, have lots of options and a nice admin in back office.
It mainly utilizes jquery & less which is good for b2 i think.The development is pretty active since 'rockettheme' uses it to develop club templates to sell.

But i promise to develop several templates (at least one or two a month) for b2evolution if we can have a framework like this.
And i think i've improved and they would be far more better compared to my earlier skins in 2.x series, now when i look back they really suck.

It doesnt have to be gantry, it may be something else, but having a framework like that, makes it real easy to produce templates.I mean, producing a skin out of a ready design would take a day or two for me, but doing the fundamental stuff like putting the layout, adding sources & extensions, template settings etc take the most time.The most frustrating part is that you have to do these same stuff over and over again with each template when you dont have a framework

4 Nov 20, 2012 02:21

tilqicom wrote:

nope, unfortunately.As far as i know it only has a skeleton skin to see grids and div's but no child templates.

However there are plenty of templates using this framework (for both joomla & wordpress) to see what might be done with it.

So is it "a skeleton only" or are there "plenty of templates using this framework" ???

5 Nov 20, 2012 02:23

fplanque wrote:

tilqicom wrote:

So is it "a skeleton only" or are there "plenty of templates using this framework" ???

The framework comes with a blank -skeleton- template only.

There are existing templates around the web to 'look at' what might be done with it, but i doubt they are available for use.Most are paid templates.

7 Nov 20, 2012 02:28

Also: Gantry will not abstract the template from the CMS, will it? I mean: if I buy a template from rockettheme, it is still specific to Wordpress or Specific to Joomla (but in both cases it uses Gantry for allowing customization). Am I correct?

8 Nov 20, 2012 02:28

fplanque wrote:

Also: how does it compare to Bootstrap ( http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/ ) ?

I skimmed through the pages, and it seems it's nothing more than a css framework, packed with a few jQuery plugins, but that would do the job just as well as a starting point.

9 Nov 20, 2012 02:30

fplanque wrote:

Also: Gantry will not abstract the template from teh CMS, will it? I mean: if I buy a template from rockettheme, it is still specific to Wordpress or Specific to Joomla (but in both cases it uses Gantry fo allowing customization). Am I correct?

Of course, wp & joomla versions are different, you cant use a wordpress rockettheme template in joomla if i understood the question right.

10 Nov 20, 2012 02:32

That's a shame because a template framework that would aim at that level of abstraction would really kick ass! :)

(of course it would be a compromise system, but still...)

12 Nov 20, 2012 02:37

Yes I will look at it. But we will implement bootstrap first.

13 Nov 20, 2012 02:38

Yea bootstrap would be fine for starters.
Even LESS itself is pretty enough to build upon.Frankly, i am looking forward to v5 for many things i plan to do for b2evo and with b2evo

PS: I hope the docs will be better as well, as promised (:

Form is loading...