Recent Topics

1 Jan 16, 2005 10:54    

I would like to edit my blog template or skin (not sure I understand the difference yet) to look like the rest of my future web site. Unfortunately I know hardly nothing about PHP and when looking at the source code for the template and skin files, I get a headache and have to run for some asprin and chocolate and try again, to no avail usually making me go for more chocolate (I'm getting fatter by the second).

What I'm wondering is, if I intend to change the layout of the blog by including a background image, a header, links (not associated with the blog itself) and text (also not associated with the blog itself) where do I begin? Is this anything like editing the blogs at blogspot.com? You know, the simple things where everything is assigned a variable and you just create the shell of the blog and insert the variables where you want them to show up. If so, what are the variables? Is there a list?

If not, where in the world do I begin? How much money could I pay one of you guys to do the designing for me? Haha, only kidding (okay...not really *waves dollar bills in the air*).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 Jan 16, 2005 21:19

I would start with finding a quick intro to PHP, but maybe you don't need that.

Here's my simplest intro: All php code must be surrounded by "<?php" and "?>"

<?php

code here.  all code has ends with a semicolon;
// this is a comment

more code here;

?>

You can put PHP anywhere in the html page.

Then, check out [url=http://b2evolution.net/man/2004/06/04/template_functions]this manual page[/url], which lists the available functions.

Rename your blog/skins/custom/_main.php file, and put a copy of your current site's template there and name it _main.php, then start adding blog functions. Start with a few easy ones, and look at the old _main.php file for inspiration.

Then, post specific questions. If you've never programmed before, you'll be at a bit of a disadvantage, but it can be done.

If you're really stuck, wave a few more of those dollar bills my way :)

3 Jan 16, 2005 21:25

Thank you!

I'll give it a whirl on my own, but if I can't figure it out, I just might have to wave a few dollar bills your way :P

4 Jan 17, 2005 23:59

If all you want to change is the look and feel, you won't need to know any php at all. You just need to change the css.

The easiest way forward is to:
- choose a skin,
- copy that skin folder and rename it, putting it in the skins folder,
- then amend the css til the skin starts looking like your end-goal look.

5 Jan 18, 2005 00:18

whittler wrote:

If all you want to change is the look and feel, you won't need to know any php at all. You just need to change the css.

The easiest way forward is to:
- choose a skin,
- copy that skin folder and rename it, putting it in the skins folder,
- then amend the css til the skin starts looking like your end-goal look.

I'm not quite sure that you understand what I'm looking for. What I want to accomplish can't be done by just editing CSS. It's changing where things are located on the page (moving the search box around, moving where the posts are displayed (to a different table) changing what images are used for certain icons, changing the background colours, changing the text colours, placing a header image at the top, removing the list of blogs from the top of the page etc...) Some of this can be done by editing CSS, but some can't.

If you would like, I'll show you what I am looking for (through a screen shot) and maybe you, or someone else, can tell me if editing CSS is enough?

6 Jan 18, 2005 00:52

watchout4zippers wrote:

moving the search box around

-> CSS

watchout4zippers wrote:

moving where the posts are displayed (to a different table)

-> CSS

watchout4zippers wrote:

changing what images are used for certain icons

-> plain HTML

watchout4zippers wrote:

changing the background colours

-> CSS

watchout4zippers wrote:

changing the text colours

-> CSS

watchout4zippers wrote:

placing a header image at the top

-> CSS+plain HTML

watchout4zippers wrote:

removing the list of blogs from the top of the page

-> PHP

try to take a look into any skin, i suggest the custom-skin. open the _main.php in the custom-directory and look through the file. it's really easy to understand.

7 Jan 18, 2005 00:54

I'll take a look, just haven't had time yet, still designing the rest of the site, it needs to be up by today! YIKES!

8 Jan 18, 2005 03:20

Okay,

I've fiddled around with it and it seems to be working okay, at least close to what I want. Could someone do me a favour though? Take a look at:

http://www.forgottenvictims.org/blog and tell me how to change the size of the date? I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and to no avail, it's stubborn as can be, it insists on being this HUGE font. Any help as to where I can add <div> tags would be nice :) thx!

9 Jan 18, 2005 04:12

Something else I just noticed that I need a bit of help with:

A lot of the links on the right don't work. The statistics link for example, they all just point to http://www.forgottenvictims.org/blog anyone have any idea why that might be?

11 Jan 18, 2005 06:51

The site looks good!

I'll bring the chocolate sauce.

12 Jan 18, 2005 08:07

danielmorrison wrote:

The site looks good!

I'll bring the chocolate sauce.

Haha! What's your fav flavour? Thanks for the nice words. :)

14 Jan 18, 2005 23:45

whittler wrote:

Slick layout. Nice!

Thanks! I really appreciate your help! You helped me get it that way :)

15 Jan 18, 2005 23:48

Question:

How do you stop your own site from showing up in the "viewing statistics"?

16 Jan 19, 2005 00:01

normally that should be the default behaviour (not to show up), but you can open conf/_stats.php and add your site to $blackList

17 Jan 19, 2005 00:03

kiesow wrote:

normally that should be the default behaviour (not to show up), but you can open conf/_stats.php and add your site to $blackList

Thanks bud.

Form is loading...