Recent Topics

1 Jan 19, 2005 05:36    

Is b2 following this initiative or is it already conforming?

From now on, when Google sees the attribute (rel="nofollow") on hyperlinks, those links won't get any credit when we rank websites in our search results. This isn't a negative vote for the site where the comment was posted; it's just a way to make sure that spammers get no benefit from abusing public areas like blog comments, trackbacks, and referrer lists

We hope the web software community will quickly adopt this attribute and we're pleased that a number of blog software makers have already signed on:

Brad Fitzpatrick - LiveJournal
Dave Winer - Scripting News
Anil Dash - Six Apart
Steve Jenson - Blogger
Matt Mullenweg - WordPress
Stewart Butterfield - Flickr
Anthony Batt - Buzznet
David Czarnecki - blojsom
Rael Dornfest - Blosxom

We've also discussed this issue with colleagues at our fellow search engines and would like to thank MSN Search and Yahoo! for supporting this initiative. Here are a few guidelines for anyone else who wants to join the cause.

[url=http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html]Prevernting comment spam[/url]

2 Jan 19, 2005 06:06

i have heard nothing about that on this side of the block, not surprisingly-- it's a simple fix though if youre interested in adding it on to URl's within comments.
I actually would like to see it used for trackbacks and comments, primarily because I would like to decide to whom I provide any sort of pagerank increase to, rather than have them provide a link, and forge out their own PR using my site. Blogs are not free for all link sites, after all.

I also think Google rocks for taking the initiative to push that through, of course I've always liked Google (looking at my Google coffee cup) :yes:, this just provided one more reason.

wordpress and MT already have plugins out to handle this automagically. thats what happens when you have huge motivated user-bases.

3 Jan 19, 2005 06:45

It's a pretty neat idea, but I'm not sure it'll stop them from doing the deed. After all if they can get some humans to click through they win. OTOH knowing they won't get the goods from search engine placement will make targetting a blog app known to use this sort of pointless. Hopefully b2evo will add it before they do another release and get themselves on that google list of no-credit blog tools. In fact a maintenance release with this and the security patch would be nice.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to add this tool to thier arsenal here's most of the hackage required.

First do the stats list on your regular blog page (if you have that bit showing) by editing _main.php and look for 2 cases of

<li><a href="<?php stats_referer() ?>"><?php stats_basedomain() ?></a></li>

and changing them to this

<li><a href="<?php stats_referer() ?>" rel="nofollow"><?php stats_basedomain() ?></a></li>

To do the same thing to your stats page you edit either skins/_stats.php or skins/skinname/_stats.php and make the same change. Find 4 cases of

<a href="<?php stats_referer() ?>">

and change them all to

<a href="<?php stats_referer() ?>" rel="nofollow">

There is one other place to add it in the _stats.php file. Find

<?php stats_referer('<a href="', '">') ?>

and change it to

<?php stats_referer('<a href="', '" rel="nofollow">') ?>

Next is the comments/trackbacks/pingbacks section, but this won't address spam-links in the body of the comment. Hopefully someone smart will come along and share a method for that. Anyway to do this to the part where the commenter's website is linked you open b2evocore/_class_comment.php and scroll down to line 145 in the "function author" bit and change

if( $makelink ) echo '<a href="'.$this->author_url.'">';

to

if( $makelink ) echo '<a href="'.$this->author_url.'" rel="nofollow">';

Next, in the same file, slide on down to line 229 in the "function author_url" bit and change

if( $makelink ) echo '<a href="'.$url.'">';

to

if( $makelink ) echo '<a href="'.$url.'" rel="nofollow">';

As always, delete/ban/report. If you happen to miss something take comfort knowing you didn't help them with search engine ranking. Life is good when you don't help spammers with search engine ranking.

4 Jan 19, 2005 06:49

I'll fiddle with your suggested hacks and you are right...

b2Evo profile would certainly benefit from inclusion in the club...

Thanks for the tips.

5 Jan 19, 2005 10:04

I think b2evo might modify their source code and contacting Google in order to be listed within 'the club'.

6 Jan 19, 2005 20:02

EdB, thanks for the hacks! Very cool. This should definitely be submitted as a patch to b2evolution.

8 Jan 20, 2005 01:59

guarriman wrote:

b2evo is within the club!!!

http://google-blog.dirson.com/rel-nofollow.php

Then the fourth piece of the puzzle should be linked here so's everyone can find it. Go to http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=2829 to see how to make the body of a comment get the nofollow doodad.

It also means real people who comment on your blog won't get any linkage value out of it, but that's probably not the end of the world. I think whoo said something along the lines of "you can't pimp off my domain". Anyway it makes sense (to me) that if you're using this you should make it a point to give your frequent commenters a nod in your linkblog.

9 Jan 20, 2005 02:18

lol, yeah you could paraphrase what i said to be something like that. I dont get alot of comments, but that siad, even IF i did, I would be very restrictive about what sorts of urls, trackbacks etc.. I allowed. Take for instance the person that might come to your site, they leave their name, or some nickname, which of course is linked to their url, and then they "pimp" their site in a comment. They have managed not just one, but two links.

Its a philosophical debate really, with all kinds of issues. What if someone with content I dont care for leaves a comment? Their comment might be viable but do I really want to link to their site and suck up my whoopping page rank of 3? prolly not :P I dunno.

--

Lastly, its nice that that info is on that site there, however thats not Google, thats a site hosted by just another person. Just because they have google in the URL doesnt mean anything. Perhaps someone ought to to contact the real google??

12 Jan 23, 2005 01:24

Here's how you get links within comments to have nofollow.

(I've taken the liberty to quote this from the [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=2829]other post EdB points to[/url] above... this way, the entire solution is in one thread (linked to from dirson's google blog)):

uber wrote:

Hi,
I have patched _class_comments.php with this text at line no. 369 (content function)

$comment  = preg_replace('/<a href=([^>]*)>/i','<a href=\\1 rel="nofollow">',$comment);

Note: the filename is _class_comment.php in 0.9.0.10. -Joe

13 Apr 15, 2005 01:35

EdB wrote:

Anyway to do this to the part where the commenter's website is linked you open b2evocore/_class_comment.php and scroll down to line 145 in the "function author" bit and change

if( $makelink ) echo '<a href="'.$this->author_url.'">';

to

if( $makelink ) echo '<a href="'.$this->author_url.'" rel="nofollow">';

EdB, what is the change on line 145 for? After adding rel="nofollow" on line 229 and making the same change to the comment body, the comment page is ok and all the links have 'nofollow'. Just curious if this change on line 145 is needed and what's it for.

14 Apr 15, 2005 01:43

I believe this is for the URL that the commentor provides as part of filling out the comment form (that is, *not* the links in the body of the comment). -Joe

15 Apr 15, 2005 01:54

Nope - that's what line 229 does.
(Sorry - intially I forgot to mention i did this change when writing the 1st post)

You could take a look at my blog and see if you notice any comment links w/o "nofollow". I don't. If looking at the main page, you may follow the comment on post "Fortune 500 - 2003 - list" for there - it has comments with links in them.

16 Apr 27, 2005 18:25

is it possible just to change the skin, so I don't have to alter the core? In /skins/_feedback.php on line 111 is the call to the author url:

<?php $Comment->author_url( '', ' &middot; ', '' ) ?>

Would it be possible to alter this so rel="nofollow" is displayed?

17 Apr 27, 2005 20:09

roadies wrote:

is it possible just to change the skin, so I don't have to alter the core? In /skins/_feedback.php on line 111 is the call to the author url:

<?php $Comment->author_url( '', ' &middot; ', '' ) ?>

Don't think so.

The $Comment->author_url outputs the whole link tag, so any text which you add in the skin will be just a text that will be displayed on the blog page.

Form is loading...