Recent Topics

1 Jan 27, 2005 04:07    

Anyone who's good with templates/skins feeling up to porting Kubrick to B2?

I'd do it myself if I had a clue as to how to do it, but unfortunately I've got no talents in this area.

Please port the best template ever to the best blogging engine!

check it out at http://binarybonsai.com/kubrick/

3 Jan 27, 2005 09:22

I started doing the kubrick template, but I have up battling with the funky css. It's probably quite simple, but I just don't have the time. I can have a look to see if I still have the files, if someone feels like carrying on?

4 Feb 02, 2005 01:45

i 2nd the motion for someone to do a full kubrick port to b2evo.
i've been playing around with a few other blogs and cms systems and the kubrick skin has made it possible for someone (like me :) ) to actually make the different systems LOOK the same without pulling ur hair out or becoming a php/b2evo/etc. etc. whiz.

i wish i had the skills to do it myself and contribute it to the b2evo community but i've got a ways to go before i can do anything more than try and copy/paste a few snippets here and there without breaking everything - :'( .

5 Feb 02, 2005 01:59

Whoever does it should make sure the original author's (Mike H) credits are left in tact, IF its done. I didnt want to raise that the first time I responded -- it seems to be the status quo that theyre removed. Doesnt really make for friendly relations when credz are removed and this particular author is vocal about prefferring they be left in.

6 Feb 02, 2005 02:36

What's a Kubrick? I'm figuring it's one of those WP skins, but I'm also figuring everyone will one day figure out the earth isn't really round so go figure. Point me to a link. Or point a link to me. Or post a link that points me to a kubrick. Graham can you PM me a link where I can get a zip of what you got so far? Credits? Absotutelylulely! What's the point in taking out credit where credit is due?

I'm bored. I want to do a stickypost. I don't want a stickypost, much like I don't want a kubrick (whatever a kubrick is), but I want to do a stickypost.

Fair weather disclaimer: if it's soarable I don't do keyboards.

7 Feb 02, 2005 03:55

hell edb, i can hook u up with a link to the original authors site
http://binarybonsai.com/kubrick B)

thx for looking at it - can't imagine it'd be too hard for someone who actually knows a little about what they're doing (like u perhaps) as many b2evo skins seem to be based on wp skins originally and thats what this was 1st.

8 Feb 02, 2005 04:28

cool. I'm halfway through a stickypost hack, and will either finish or give up. After that I'll play with this skin.

9 Feb 02, 2005 05:27

um... does anyone have an unadulterated WP installation with an equally unhacked Kubrick running? Seems the link above isn't running what he's got zipped based on the header image displayed and the header image in the zip file. Therefore a pure WP with a pure Kubrick would be a cool thing to build from.

Kind of a rip-off if you ask me. There's a lady in lingerie with red lipstick and high heels in the air on the linked page but the header image in the zip is just plain blue. WTF?

10 Feb 02, 2005 06:29

Mike's site is running wordpress 1.5 -- the kubrik download is for 1.2.* the skins and templating changed in 1.5.

this is what you need:
http://binarybonsai.com/playground/

for the record, there are gazillions of kubrik based sites on the web, few of them use that defualt header hence the generic-ness. Its by far THE most popular blog template on the net

11 Feb 02, 2005 06:50

Thanks. I figured there must be an easy way to see a default installation running a base version of the skin, but I couldn't find it easily so I asked. Anyway I'll do it up with the stock header image. I don't think it'll take to long to do the deed with this skin. I mean, it comes from a keyboard and shows up on a monitor so how hard can it be?

12 Feb 02, 2005 10:12

This isn't necessarily related to the topic but I saw that at the bottom of the kubrick page the border was rounded (not squared, as is standard). I want to do this with my blog (at the top). How is this accomplished?

13 Feb 02, 2005 10:29

SCBrips wrote:

This isn't necessarilly related to the topic but I saw that at the bottom of the kubrick page the border was rounded (not squared, as is standard). I want to do this with my blog (at the top). How is this accomplished?

footer image bro - same as the header.
thats whats cool about the kubrick skin - the header,footer,main content,sidebars etc. are all images which can easily be edited in ur photo editing software of choice either individually or using the included psd template.
for some, like myself, editing images is familiar territory whereas php,css,html,xhtml are pretty foreign.

14 Feb 02, 2005 11:16

I'm in uni at the mo, I'll upload a zip when I get home. I already emailled the author and he gave us his blessing (as long as the credit was left intact, obviously).

15 Feb 02, 2005 16:27

First, I love it that this skin is being ported. I really like the simplicity and functionality of b2e, new skins make it even more appealing.

Spectrum, you asked about rounded corners. The short answer is that you'll need to create your corner images in Adobe Illustrator or something similar, and use nested divs in your css. You're welcome to peruse the source code & [url=http://lenwood.cc/skins/custom/custom.css]css file[/url] on my [url=http://lenwood.cc/index.php?skin=custom]custom skin[/url] to see how this is done (note: my css is a work in progress, but the attributes of my topEdge, topLeft, etc, which is what you'll pay attention to, won't change).

If you'd like a more detailed explanation, that can be found [url=http://kalsey.com/2003/07/rounded_corners_in_css/]here[/url].

16 Feb 04, 2005 07:08

actually lenwood i was replying to a previous post but thank u just the same for the response..... images and editing r the one thing i am, at least, familiar with.

i will take a look at ur css - i've got much to learn in regards to using css to actually control layout having used mainly wysiwyg editors that generate lots of table-based stuff.
divisions, div id's, div classes, etc. is all quite confusing at this point but i'll slowly get the hang of it, hopefully 8| .

fortunately, there seem to be a number of helpful and supportive people like urself hanging around the b2evo forums willing to share ur knowledge with those of us just starting to delve into how some of this stuff works.

thx againlenwood wrote:

First, I love it that this skin is being ported. I really like the simplicity and functionality of b2e, new skins make it even more appealing.

Spectrum, you asked about rounded corners. The short answer is that you'll need to create your corner images in Adobe Illustrator or something similar, and use nested divs in your css. You're welcome to peruse the source code & [url=http://lenwood.cc/skins/custom/custom.css]css file[/url] on my [url=http://lenwood.cc/index.php?skin=custom]custom skin[/url] to see how this is done (note: my css is a work in progress, but the attributes of my topEdge, topLeft, etc, which is what you'll pay attention to, won't change).

If you'd like a more detailed explanation, that can be found [url=http://kalsey.com/2003/07/rounded_corners_in_css/]here[/url].

17 Feb 04, 2005 23:07

I guess upon re-reading the posts, I was answering SCBrips' question. Either way, you're welcome to peruse my code and if you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

Lenwood

21 Feb 05, 2005 18:52

Ahh....but you didn't get the custom feedback.php like mine!! :D

22 Feb 05, 2005 18:58

mattbta wrote:

you turkey! ;)

Indeed...

After doing the conversion and validating my xhtml and css I remembered to add the print.css file that I like to have in there. I picked a copy from one of my other archived skins and OF COURSE picked the only one with a flaw in it. :oops:

I am fixing the zip right now and will upload it to the skins page ASAP. Anyone who's already grabbed it, the error is small and easily corrected. Open print.css and look for "margin-right : ppx;" and replace ppx with 0px. Never mind the validity of it - it'll make for not nice printing because the value used to display will leave a strip on the right side of the page.

mattbta I'd love to see how you made it go over. I did most of my work in the css, with only a few changes to the _main file. Like some of the divs have to be one way for regular pages and a "Wide" version for permalink pages, so I have "if permalink use wide".

23 Feb 05, 2005 19:07

Mine was done taking the css from the wp skin and then comparing the index file supplied with the _main.php file and editing the divs to match the declarations in the css. I also did the same thing as you to determine to do wide or not. :) I imported a wp ported to b2evo version of feedback.php and added the logic from the supplied wp_comments.php to get it to look like the original. I've done a lot of various themes this way, from blogger templates ( http://www.brotherson.com/index.php?skin=dots_dark ) to wo ones...with a bit of customizing vbulletin skins and converting them from tables to divs for use in b2evo.

Would you like my custom copy of feedback.php to add in?

24 Feb 05, 2005 19:30

I like it, but since I just uploaded it for the second time I'd hate to tell Graham "oh wait here it is again" again.

Do you have a version without the captcha? Your layout on the feedback bit is way cooler than the stock b2evo method. I've been thinking about implementing something similar for my blog skins but haven't gone anywhere near it yet. Well, I overhauled where the anchors are and added two new ones (a hack that can't be done only in the skin), but haven't addressed the layout of the page.

Tell ya what. If Graham sees this and says he doesn't mind a third upload let's get a cool feedback layout in there! That'll make it easier for me to make mine better ;)

26 Feb 05, 2005 21:59

Go for it. I haven't looked at the second upload yet anyway. Has it just overwritten it? If it has, I'll have to take a look at it, because that could be a serious security flaw....

27 Feb 05, 2005 22:29

I love your new sig file :D

I did not get any sort of error message, but that doesn't mean it over-wrote the file. Maybe it decided to not over-write but not tell me it didn't so's I would go away thinking my malicious plan succeeded? I guess looking at the datestamp on the zip will answer the question since they were almost 24 hours apart. http://wonderwinds.com/Kubrick2evo.zip is for sure the SECOND one - the one without the error in print.css.

mattbta you still out there? If you can send me or give me a link for your feedback file I'll add it in. Also any css that affects the look even if it's stock names and such.

28 Feb 06, 2005 00:20

Sorry - I was out crossing some items off the honey-do list...furniture shopping! Yeah - I can get the files to you tonight after dinner.

29 Feb 06, 2005 04:46

My version of kubrick is now up at http://tin-men.net

Haven't done much other than change the colour, and add in a few hacks / tidbits. Feel free to leave an comments (such as, 'you ripped off WP and didn't link back' - as was left two minutes after I uploaded the skin. Don't you just love it when people can't be bothered to scroll down the page?).

30 Feb 06, 2005 15:45

Oh, and Ed - is the version on your site now the absolute final version? With the spangly feedback page and all? Lemme know when the final version is ready for upload.

31 Feb 06, 2005 15:46

Doing the feedback thing now... Will let you know with a post in this thread.

32 Feb 06, 2005 17:21

All done! The poor code in print.css is fixed. mattbta's stylish _feedback and _lastcomments are incorporated along with appropriate styles, and the recently identified "if you permalink the title and link to url you get whuuglebugness" issue has been addressed. Same link as before up there a wee bit.

33 Feb 06, 2005 18:17

wow! You guys are THE BEST! It's official, YOU GUYS ROCK! :)

Sorry about sounding like a fanboy, but this was definitely the best thing to find on a Sunday evening :)

34 Feb 14, 2005 23:00

Great looking skin, thanks. :)

35 Feb 17, 2005 04:43

This is the default skin now for wordpress 1.5 which was just recently released. It does look nice, though it's going to be all over the place.

36 Feb 17, 2005 05:04

Nate wrote:

This is the default skin now for wordpress 1.5 which was just recently released. It does look nice, though it's going to be all over the place.

Yes, that's true. But it's still a very nice skin, and it's also fairly easy to customize it to suit ones needs.

37 Feb 24, 2005 03:42

Its a great theme, I love it, probably amongst the best looking ones.

The only thing I don't like is that it's not very wide.

Is it possible to get it wider? So it's like 800px wide or something?

Even 900px wide, most people have their screen res 1024x768

So it wouldn't be too bad.

Its just when I squeeze photos in, I have to sometimes resize them otherwise they go over the menus on the right.

Anyone?

38 Feb 24, 2005 03:53

I think the images used for the header and body-with-sidebar and body-without-sidebar and footer are 760px wide, but that's splitting hairs. You could tinker all the images and css to make more room in the posts, or possibly add the photozoom css hack that's kicked around here somewhere. I tinkered with it a bit but couldn't quite get it to work without messing with my html validation - something I'm not inclined to do. Perhaps stk will cruise by here and explain how to do the photozoom in b2evo without disabliing xhtml security checks?

The idea being if you want to display lets say 600 wide you could photozoom down to smaller and let the mouseover do it's thing. Also just thinking maybe photozoom could be morphed into a kubrickzoom that uses 75% width for disp=posts and full with for disp=single?

Form is loading...