Recent Topics

1 Feb 14, 2005 22:39    

I have serched the forus to see if this has already been asked but have had no luck...I'm sorry if I just missed it.

My blog is installed and looks to be working as it should (yeah!) but I need to change the way categories appear. On the default blog it lists all the categories and all the sub-categories. I'm trying to do two things.

First, I would like the category list to be in a list menu (pulldown style). Right now it just lists them all down the right column.

Then I would only like main categories to be visible from the default page, NO sub-categories. Once you select a category that blog would load and the list menu would update with with only the sub-categories for that blog. The buttons at the top of the page would still be used to select the main categories and the list menu would only display the subs.

The blog is at bungalow.n2ition.com

Thanks for your help

2 Feb 15, 2005 00:23

(1) Pull down menus ... here's a link that should help with that. (AFAIK, there isn't such a beast in b2evo that you can set up painlessly).

http://www.eightlines.com/tech/cssmenu/

(2) You can control which categories are visible using CSS, because the subcategories are listing as a <div categories><ul><li><ul><li> thing.

In your CSS file, all you need to do is have the "DIV#categories" UL UL { display:none } ... BOOM .. they should just disappear from your screen.

(There MAY be a way of doing it from inside b2evo, but the CSS route works).

Hope this helps.

3 Feb 15, 2005 00:55

I think you might misunderstand that kind of menu I am wanting. I would like a list menu like the one on the "blue sky" skin that is used for selecting skins. And I don't want the categories to disappear I just want to limit them from showing sub-categories when on the default blog page.

Thanks for your help.

4 Feb 15, 2005 03:22

No, you're right. That's not what I thought you meant.

Here is the relevant part from BluSky ... try this INSTEAD of the code you have in _main.php

<div id=categories>
<h4>Categories&nbsp;:</h4>
<!-- ========== START OF CATEGORIES ========== -->
<?php form_formstart( $Blog->dget( 'blogurl', 'raw' ) ) ?>
<?php	require( dirname(__FILE__).'/_categories.php'); ?>
<input type="submit" value="<?php echo T_('Get selection') ?>" />
<input type="reset" value="<?php echo T_('Reset form') ?>" />
</form>
<!-- ========== END OF CATEGORIES ========== -->
</div>

Dunno about the 2nd part (showing only the main cats), because the way that I would do it would be via CSS . SubCats THERE , but HIDDEN becaues of CSS. THEN, sub blogs wouldn't hide them & they'd be visible.

Good luck.

Form is loading...