Recent Topics

1 Feb 16, 2005 23:26    

Hey All -

I'm trying to setup b2evo for the first time on my local machine. I can acces the install page from http://localhost/blog/install/index.php where I installed b2evo. It will not update the configuration once update is clicked or edited in my text editor.

I belive the problem is the installation of the mySQL database. I'm not sure how to set one up locally. I have mySQL installed on this machine as well as PHP 5 and my local webroot. Should anything else be installed (such as phpMyAdmin) and how do you create a database in mySQL locally called b2evolution? Then how does that link into the code in _config.php?

Thanks for any installation steps anyone could give on this -

Surferboy

2 Feb 17, 2005 01:27

I'm having the exact same problem. I have done this before successfully (before my hard drive died), so I know it can be done.

surferboy2, to create a database, bring up a command line for mysql (you should be able to do this via your start menu). Then all you have to do is type:

create database b2evolution;

Confirm creation by typing:

show databases;

With me, the config file is not updating and I get a screen that looks like [url=http://web.aanet.com.au/getadog/screen.jpg]this[/url]

I'm running Apache and php5. I've tested the setup (outside the context of b2) and the php is working fine and linking in with mysql fine.

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

3 Feb 17, 2005 01:34

surferboy2, I've got it!

Open the file php.ini in a text editor. Go to the line:

extension=php_mysql.dll (which is directly above)
extension=php_mysqli.dll

and remove the semi-colon from in front of it. This sorted it out for me.

You'll also have to create a database called b2evolution as I described above.

Good luck!

4 Feb 17, 2005 01:35

I think (which is my biggest character flaw) that there is something funky about php5. Actually it's something about php5 and how it connects to a MySQL database I think, and since I don't really know I should shut up before I expose the depths of my ignorance, but here I go!

Have you considered telling conf/_config that "config_is_done" by setting it to a 1? This assumes you for certain have told it the correct db connection info and your email id plus base url...

Just a thought....

Also try searching the forums for php5 and mysql and clicking on all words. You might find the tidbit that hooks it all together for you.

5 Feb 23, 2005 23:26

Thank you for your help, I got the database created though still no luck getting up and running.

I edited php.ini taking out the semi-colon though that did not work. Which line execatly did you edit there as you listed two?

I also tried setting confid_is_done to 1 and that did not work. I am unsure on a couple things there. For the MySQL settings what is the DB_USER name as one was not specified when I installed MySQL. I'm assuming I'm correct in using my MySQL password in the DB_PASSWORD field, not demopass that was on there.

Anyone have any more ideas? I would really love to get this up and running so I can test it!

Thanks again,
Surferboy

6 Feb 26, 2005 04:13

surferboy2,

I'm no mysql expert, but I'll have a go. The user-name is usually root. The relevant part of my _config.php file looks like this:

define( 'DB_USER', 'root' ); // your MySQL username
define( 'DB_PASSWORD', 'mypassword' ); // ...and password
define( 'DB_NAME', 'b2evolution' ); // the name of the database
define( 'DB_HOST', 'localhost' ); // mySQL Server (typically 'localhost')

With regards to the php.ini file, you remove the semi-colon from both lines I listed.

Also, make sure the files libmysql.dll and php_mysqli.dll are in the directory called php (C:\php on my PC). Copy them from php\ext if they are not already in your php folder.

If you feel you want to start from scratch, I used the tutorial [url=http://www.tanguay.at/installPhp5.php5]on this site[/url] to set up my php/mysql interface. But remember to remove the semi-colon from
extension=php_mysql.dll as that tute only requires you to remove it from extension=php_mysqli.dll.

See how you go.

Form is loading...