Recent Topics

1 Feb 25, 2005 17:20    

:lol: B) :-/ 8| wow nice emoticons here, can someone tell me how to add them to the comments. I tried everything. I got the smilies to show in the comments box, but when you clicked them, i only got the code, so in the post there was :cool: instead of B) . maybe someone has an answer to my problem?

2 Feb 25, 2005 18:02

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=2700 gets smilies in comments, but it's a "lets all bang this out together" thread, so it's not the simplest cleanest possible explanation of the hack. I was sort of thinking on cleaning it up and posting it in plugins and hacks, but never got a round tuit.

Maybe that'll be something fun for today, or maybe you'll pick through that thread and post a cleaned up version in plugins and hacks?

3 Feb 25, 2005 18:23

BAH!!! *IF ONLY* I'd seen that post yesterday, I could have stopped pulling my hair out trying to get comments into the renderer, and my plugin would have been relatively hack free (aside from the hack to get comments into the renderer) :)

4 Feb 25, 2005 18:28

Sorry 'bout that! When I saw Graham's comment about that thread going byebye in the hackattack I thought it didn't, but I didn't think it was related to what you were up to.

Is it worth a re-write of your plugin/hack to make it cleaner? Just curious!!! I haven't tried your plugin yet but I will. I figure I have no clue who has gravatars, so one day after I use it I'll see a neato picture and be feelin' Just. To. Cool.

To my mind the next step for emoticons in comments hack is to offer a different set for commenters. Like ONLY happy ones so the grumpy commenter can't make grumpy faces :roll:

5 Feb 25, 2005 18:38

I'm happy with the current state of the hack. The plugin will add a gravatar to your blog, and should comments get passed to the renderer, it *should* automagically render a gravatar into the comment.

The function which creates the gravatar url is in hacks.php, and keeping the hack part of my plugin out of the evocore means that it can survive upgrades painlessly.

Graham suggested going for a hack in _feedback.php to display a gravatar onto a comment. This is nice and clean.

Since comments will not be rendered in 0.9.0.10, I'm happy that this is a nice clean plugin & hack.

I suppose I should test what happens if someone installs the smilies rendering hack though... it may have the side effect of rendering a gravatar twice....

6 Feb 25, 2005 18:43

Actually, false alarm I feel....

The smilies rendering in comments hack hard codes the smilies renderer... so it is not truly passing comments into the renderer plugin.. just passing it into the smilies plugin.

To hack true comments rendering you would need somehting like

// Apply rendering
$post_renderers = $Renderer->validate_list( $this->renderers );
$output = $Renderer->render( $output, $post_renderers, $format );

7 Feb 25, 2005 19:22

EdB wrote:

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=2700 gets smilies in comments, but it's a "lets all bang this out together" thread, so it's not the simplest cleanest possible explanation of the hack. I was sort of thinking on cleaning it up and posting it in plugins and hacks, but never got a round tuit.

Maybe that'll be something fun for today, or maybe you'll pick through that thread and post a cleaned up version in plugins and hacks?

well, i tried all of that, but it didn't work for me because they are not quite clear about everything. I guess it is just not that simple to get some smilies in the comments

8 Feb 25, 2005 20:06

Nah - it's pretty easy. What's hard is picking the right bits out of that whole thread. I'll try to do a clean write-up later today and post it in the plugins and hacks forum. Are you running the latest version? v0.9.0.11? I think it will matter for this hack.

10 Feb 26, 2005 03:18

Check the plugins forum. I did it to an unadulterated v11 installation using an unmodified custom skin.

Form is loading...