Recent Topics

1 Apr 25, 2005 04:47    

I'm new to the board and to B2, so please be gentle. I was looking for a way to disable the "New Posts" that shows up on the sidebar of the blog. I didn't know if it was a setting in the control panel or if I had to edit the code itself to remove it. I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

THANKS!

J-rod

2 Apr 25, 2005 08:33

I guess you mean the 'Recently' chunk. Crack open skins/yourskinname/_main.php (your skin is probably custom) in your favourite text editor and delete the following lines:

<ul>
			<li><a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'staticurl', 'raw' ) ?>"><strong><?php echo T_('Recently') ?></strong></a> <span class="dimmed"><?php echo T_('(cached)') ?></span></li>
			<li><a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'dynurl', 'raw' ) ?>"><strong><?php echo T_('Recently') ?></strong></a> <span class="dimmed"><?php echo T_('(no cache)') ?></span></li>
		</ul>

3 Jul 09, 2005 11:58

Graham wrote:

I guess you mean the 'Recently' chunk. Crack open skins/yourskinname/_main.php (your skin is probably custom) in your favourite text editor and delete the following lines:

<ul>
			<li><a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'staticurl', 'raw' ) ?>"><strong><?php echo T_('Recently') ?></strong></a> <span class="dimmed"><?php echo T_('(cached)') ?></span></li>
			<li><a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'dynurl', 'raw' ) ?>"><strong><?php echo T_('Recently') ?></strong></a> <span class="dimmed"><?php echo T_('(no cache)') ?></span></li>
		</ul>

I just spent an hour trying to find a reference to this section. The reason? Mine doesn't do anything. I have two links "Recently (cached)" and "Recently (no cache)", but not recent post listings.

What could be the problem? I have not edited this section of the code, and it looks just like what you have posted. Do I have an option turned off somewhere?

4 Jul 10, 2005 00:59

Trip,

Do you want to have the "Recently (cache)" and "Recently (no cache)" links or not? Graham told you how to remove them.

1. Open up /blogs/skins/custom/_main.php in a text editor.
2. Find the bit that he referenced.
3. Delete the hell out of it.
4. Save the file.
5. Upload it again.

Alternatively, you could make this change to _main.php in the "Templates" tab in the backoffice. (That section of the backoffice just allows you to edit the "custom" skin - the same thing that we both just told you how to do manually.)

Poof, it's gone.

5 Jul 10, 2005 11:41

isaac wrote:

Trip,

Do you want to have the "Recently (cache)" and "Recently (no cache)" links or not? Graham told you how to remove them.

1. Open up /blogs/skins/custom/_main.php in a text editor.
2. Find the bit that he referenced.
3. Delete the hell out of it.
4. Save the file.
5. Upload it again.

Alternatively, you could make this change to _main.php in the "Templates" tab in the backoffice. (That section of the backoffice just allows you to edit the "custom" skin - the same thing that we both just told you how to do manually.)

Poof, it's gone.

That's so totally not what I said... I want to know why mine does nothing. It's there, unedited, but lists nothing. I want to know why.

7 Jul 12, 2005 08:10

Both links essentially refresh the current blog. Permissions aren't a problem.

Sounds like you want me to create a static file here, but how and why would that change this link? How/where do I specify it?

8 Jul 12, 2005 08:16

I'd also like to know... why do those links exist if their only purpose is to show the most recent posts of the current blog? I mean, aren't the newest entries on top anyway?

Am I misunderstanding its purpose or what? How do most people use those?

10 Jul 12, 2005 08:37

I know what a static file is. Try to answer my questions before providing tongue-in-cheek responses that get neither of us anywhere, we'll get along better that way.

Creating a static file is not a problem. Creating one for "Recently (cached)" and "Recently (no cache)" is somewhat different as neither of those are blogs.

Apparently (although, you would never be able to tell from your reply), you are suggesting that nothing will show up in "Recently (cached)" if I haven't created any static files... BUT I already said that both links simply refresh the active blog.

Do not mistake my 8 posts as a sign of idiocy. Again, I'll ask... why do those links exist?

11 Jul 12, 2005 08:43

One sends you to the cached page. If you haven't set it, it simply sends you to the dynamic one. Set the static file up, and it will send you to the static page. This helps to avoid any 404 errors.

12 Jul 12, 2005 08:50

Thank you.

But I still don't really understand what purpose the links serve. Are they there simply as a "go back to the main page for this blog"?

13 Jul 12, 2005 15:32

You're right, trip.

They're retarded. You should delete them.

Are they there simply as a "go back to the main page for this blog"?

Yes.

Form is loading...