Recent Topics

1 May 19, 2005 14:17    

I'm new to the world of b2evo tho used the original b2 ages ago. I learned how to master it fairly quickly but b2evo has me stumped.

More or less, I want to use this "blogger" as the end all of my site and while I'm pretty dang handy with CSS, I'm still lost on a few of things even after scouring the forum:

1. Can I code my templates/skins as I would any normal html page and just add in the php includes I need for it to show up correctly?

2. What codes should ALWAYS remain on your pages?

3. How - for the love of toast - do I actually change my default skin? (I told you I was lost.)

Any and all help would be appreciated. (Links, codes, links to codes, advice - ANYTHING!) I know what I'm wanting to do is probably really simple but I'm a bit mixed up.

I thank you in advance.
xxx, b

2 May 20, 2005 15:42

1. The /skins/yourskin/_main.php file is the main one that you need to edit. I think it's a lot more php than html, so you may be better off editing this file and dropping your code in than trying to drop all the php into your html code. But, yes, it is possible.

2. See number one above. To be safest, just make a copy of a skin folder and rearrange the _main.php to have the html you want. That way you won't end up missing any of the required php code. Most of the actual styling is done with CSS, so you should be pretty comfortable with that.

3. Change the default skin by logging into the back office, going to the Blogs tab, selecting your blog and changing the dropdown box that says 'default skin.' If you don't see the change after that, then you may need to untick 'allow skin switching' on that same page.

Also, while your editing a skin, you can preview it by adding ?skin=skinname onto the end of your url. That's nice because if you break the skin your readers aren't seeing it. They're still seeing one of the working skins that you have set as default.

Form is loading...