Recent Topics

1 Jun 26, 2005 04:57    

My website host is complaining that my blog database is heavy loading the server (using too many resources). First move I made was to stop allowing trackbacks and pingbacks. The only problem I think is that I solved future problems with spam. What about the old trackbacks and pingbacks? I believe they are still linking to my site.

Is there a way to I remove them directly in the database? Any other solution so that my host stop complaining about server abuse?

Thank you

2 Jun 26, 2005 13:17

Why do you have to delete them directly from the db? Why can't you use b2evo's interface? It's exactly the same as deleteing a comment.

3 Jun 26, 2005 14:18

How am I suposed to manually delete trackbacks (one by one) since 2002 ? There must be a way to delete them all at once. Is there?

4 Jun 26, 2005 15:08

I'm still not understanding why you have to delete all your trackbacks. If it is referer spam, you can search for the affected strings in the antispam tab. Anyway, if you really insist on editing the database manually, you can look in the comments table, and search for trackback or pingback as the comment_type. I believe you can just delete the entries, but I've never tried it so I don't know if it will kill your db or not. Make a back up first. This is why I've been suggesting that you do this via the backoffice, since that won't kill anything.

5 Jun 26, 2005 15:43

I deleted and added a lot of string to the antispam thing (the ones with more hits acording to the logs). Are you sure that just doing this will solve my problem?

thanks

6 Jun 26, 2005 16:06

No, I'm not, like I already said. It will delete your existing trackbacks, but it could also kill your db. If you're meaning will this stop future trackback spam, then no it won't, but there are loads of threads on this forum about comment and trackback spam, and most of the techniques are covered. The main one you should do to stop tb spam is to rename the htsrv directory, as listed here:

http://tin-men.net/blog/how_i_ve_killed_all_spam_on_my_site

7 Jun 26, 2005 16:35

Let's go step by step:

1- What I did to stop future spams was to disable trackbacks and pingbacks. Will it stop future spams?

2- I wanted to stop the spam from old trackbacks, so I added several hits (acording to my logs) to the antispam blacklist. Is it enough to stop getting hits from the old trackbacks?

I still haven't touched my database yet and I won't if what I've done so far will at least solve 80% of my problems...

Is there still a need to make some changes as the one mentioned in the link you gave me above?

8 Jun 26, 2005 17:05

What I did to stop future spams was to disable trackbacks and pingbacks. Will it stop future spams?

No. Do what I outline in the post on my site, that should stop most trackback spams.

2- I wanted to stop the spam from old trackbacks, so I added several hits (acording to my logs) to the antispam blacklist. Is it enough to stop getting hits from the old trackbacks?

If it deleted the entries when you entered them, then yes, if not, you'll need to check on re-check to delete them. If that still doesn't pick up the entries, you've entered them incorrectly. Clicking on the green check mark will remove the entry.

10 Jun 26, 2005 18:37

And of course, I assumed you meant trackbacks on your blog pointing to the p0rn sites and the like, because you obviously can't delete tb's made to other people's sites since you can't access their blogging applications.

Form is loading...