Recent Topics

1 Jul 12, 2005 11:07    

I'm going to move to either WordPress or b2evolution. Because of the multiple blogs feature I'd prefer b2evolution.

I've read several post about high serverload with b2evolution. I wonder if this somebody has experience with both b2evolution and wordpress. Is there a difference between those two?

My current blog / website has between 200 and 500 visitors daily incl RSS subscribers.

2 Jul 12, 2005 15:19

I think you'll be fine with that. I work with a site that has about 15 blogs and 2000 to 10,000 hits every day. It's all running on one b2evolution install, with fairly complicated skins and some cheap shared web hosting. It runs fast. Go to brendoman.com to see. If you have problems with server load or speed (with either b2evo or wp) then you can always strip down your skin so that it makes fewer database calls. If you're going to have multiple blogs, then I would think that b2evolution would be more efficient, since it can do it all in one db, and it's built for this sort of thing.

3 Jul 12, 2005 16:49

B2evolution is a BIG problem if you really begin getting an important number of hits... GO WITH WORDPRESS. Why? Because WordPress has several plugins to make your pages near "static" so that the server load is reduced. B2evolution is really a problem for a shared server, your hosting account will be suspended in no time, depending on their tolerance, as soon as you get around 4K visits a day. Despite what they are telling you here, the server load will not be significantly reduced by tinkering with your skin or disabling statistics. I am talking out of personal experience, B2evolution makes way too many DB calls for any shared server once you get a significant number of hits and visits a day. Go with WordPress, it's huge community has develop and continues to develop effective remedies for server load, as well as other problems you may encounter along the way. By contrast, b2evo hasn't "evolved" in about a year now. Despite de promises of incredible upgrades, this b2evo software has been stagnant for over a year now, and totally lacks support and plugins for very important things like image processing (the problem with WP is which of the many galleries to choose from) or podcasting (it's not even in the works here). Why go with the lesser branch of b2 when you can go with the winning WP? Reassess the benefit of multiple weblogs, it's not worth choosing a losing platform like b2evolution, and putting up with the "airs" of the few regulars of this board. Look at the number of posts on these forums that go without an answer and completely ignored even though they are very relevant.

4 Jul 12, 2005 17:41

Dunhill wrote:

totally lacks support and plugins for very important things like . . . podcasting (it's not even in the works here).

Tell that to the four podcasters on Brendoman.com. I did have to make a couple of [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=2542&highlight=enclosures]slight modifications[/url] to get it to work, so it's technically a hack and not a plugin, but it works great.

Nomad, Wordpress is a great script and from what I hear it's very easy to use. If you think it's best for you, then that's what you should use. I'm looking at the stats for my site right now. The last two days have had 9331 and 11071 hits respectively. If it's causing a server load problem, then we haven't heard about it yet. I know it's better than Movable Type. We were always getting in trouble with our host about that. Server load might be a problem if you don't stay on top of the spam problem. That might be what happened with Dunhill. You can do a seperate installation of WP for each blog you want on your site, but just remember that all of your site maintenance activites are going to be multiplied by whatever number of WP installs you do. When I was trying to decide what CMS to use I installed a whole bunch of things and played with them for a few weeks. That might be a good thing for you to do. I didn't have to try b2evolution very long before I knew that I wanted to use it.

Dunhill seems very impressed with Wordpress's ability to generate 'near static' pages, but I switched from Movable Type to b2evolution so I could have dynamically generated pages. If you want true static pages, then use Movable Type. I didn't like it. Even MT is now switching toward dynamically generated pages.

5 Jul 13, 2005 00:50

I asked my host and he said there won't be any problems no matter what script I use. This would maybe be an issue with a much higher number of visitors.

I also suppose Dunhill must have had some spam-issues as all the "VIPs" in the spamworld are listed on his blog.

I'll keep testing b2evolution, will be too much work dealing with three different WP-installs (I have three blogs in three languages)

6 Jul 17, 2005 13:32

I'd just like to add that b2evo is anything but stagnant. There are revisions to the development version nearly every day. And pheonix is getting near release (within a month or two).

Form is loading...