Recent Topics

1 Jul 21, 2005 23:18    

So I want to allow users to register and add posts from the weblog page, without allowing them to enter the administrative tool.

In other words, I'd like to add a "login" link on the webpage that would take them to a login screen. Once they are logged in they'd see a link "add a post" and when they'd click on it they'd be taken to the page in which they can edit their new post.

In short, I'd like it if my weblog would work like this forum and allow my users to create an accompt and add message just like an admin would. I want this because its a weblog hosted on Intranet for everyone in our company.

Thanks in advance !

2 Jul 22, 2005 03:31

You can enable self-registration, but an admin still has to give each author permission to post. You can limit a user's permissions by going to the blog you want them to be able to post on, clicking the permissions tab, and checking the boxes for the rights you want them to have. They have to use the backoffice to post, but they're not really admins and they can't change settings. You can make it so that all they can do is post.

You can add a login link to the blog page. Some skins come with one. Look through the built-in skins and find one that does, then copy the code to your skin.

I know that's not exactly what you're asking for, but that's as close as you can get without taking the time to rewrite big chunks of the software (which you could legally do, since it's released under the GPL). Or if it suits your needs better, you could always use a message board script like phpBB.

3 Jul 22, 2005 14:19

Thanks a lot Personman. You are right, thats not exactly what I want but I had not tested b2evolution long enough to see this simple solution. It's gonna be perfect for what I want to achieve.

I also spent the night thinking what my boss really wants is a forum but he probably simply doesnt know about forums. I guess Im gonna make him a blog as he wants and then Im also going to make a forum for him to see what a forum is and if it would suit his needs better. I got lots of experience with phpBB and you convinced me to try and make a forum quickly with it.

Thanks for the quick reply. It was useful.

4 Jul 22, 2005 16:25

You are very welcome. I like b2evolution, but if it's not the tool for the job, then use what works best.

Form is loading...