Recent Topics

1 Aug 02, 2005 01:03    

I have no idea why, but for the second time in one week no posts are displayed at all. Instead I get this message "Sorry, there is no post to display..." - regardless of which skin I use. See here: http://antropologi.info/blog/anthropology/index.php

Now, the posts are there again, strange. How can this happen?

Two minutes later: Now again the posts don't show up. No problems with the database-connection. No Apache error message

2 Aug 02, 2005 02:06

I see the posts now. That's odd.

3 Aug 02, 2005 08:36

It's only temporary. I'll make a screeshot next time it happens. The strange thing is that not even my manually added message (no post!) "Still under construction" showed up. In the search field, there was a strange combination of numbers. But the rest of the side panel was displayed normally

4 Aug 02, 2005 08:54

New blog? New host? I'm asking because it sounds like a blog post time issue. I forget exactly which way it goes, but there is a setting in your back office on the settings tab (but I forget which sub-tab) for your server offset. If your server is 2 hours away from you then your blog has to deal with that. So you post at noon but your server is at 10am, therefore you don't get that post for 2 hours.

Anyway if it's a new blog or new host I would be looking at something funky with that aspect of your specific installation. Did you set that parameter correctly? If so is it possible your host is messed up on the clock?

New installs have a nice easy answer for weird stuff: delete the admin and b2evocore folders and re-install them from freshly unzipped copies.

5 Aug 02, 2005 09:00

I've installed it for two weeks ago. The posts date back to 2000 (transfered from an old blog), so that can't be the problem. And it's only a temporary problem - mostly the page is displayed correctly. But it might be a good idea to "delete the admin and b2evocore folders and re-install them from freshly unzipped copies" - as you propose - if the problem persists

6 Aug 18, 2005 21:19

Now it happens again here a screenshot
http://antropologi.info/temp/nomatchesfound.gif

here the URL

http://www.antropologi.info/blog/nyheter
http://www.antropologi.info/blog/ethnologie
http://www.antropologi.info/blog/anthropology

sometimes the posts show up, sometimes they do not

UPDATE: I tried replacing the files in the two folders mentioned in the most recent post, but it didn't help

The posts are displayed on the main page, but if you click on the categories, then there are no posts to display and the strange combination of numbers in the search field appears.

It's also the permalinks to the posts that don't work

UPDATE 2 :?: Is it a Firefox-related bug? In IE there are no problems at all? I tried several skins, it's not skin-related

7 Aug 18, 2005 21:56

Summary of my findings:

Ok, this i a weird bug. It happens from time to time in Firefox. When clicking on some categories or permalinks, you get the messages No posts to display. If you shut down the browser and start it again, the problem is solved.

8 Aug 18, 2005 22:07

That makes it a Firefox issue right? BTW I could not duplicate your problem with Firefox 1.0.6 so maybe it's your version of Firefox?

9 Aug 18, 2005 22:12

Well, I can't be sure actually. Maybe it's a general browser issue that occurs from time to time? Not often though, as you can see, there have passed more than two weeks since last time it happened. I only use FF (1.0.6), so maybe this also occurs in other browsers? Very strange.

Concerning the strange numbers in the search field, I tested and removed the search, but it didn't help either.

10 Aug 18, 2005 22:18

That's true, but it hasn't been reported before so I would have to wonder about your environment. Has anyone reported this to you, or is this an issue you discovered yourself? Also, just to be on the safe side, you might want to over-write the _categories.php file in your skins directory (or perhaps skins/yourskinname) for the same reason I recommended over-writing admin and b2evocore folders: weird flaws that are hard to explain and don't seem repeatable are often caused by inexplicable flaws in the file on the server. Usually those issues are in new blogs only though, so in your case it would be more like ruling something out than trying to fix it.

Also it's true that I didn't hit your categories very much. Maybe 5 or 6 cats in each of the blogs (languages?) that you posted here. That's not much of a test I guess.

11 Aug 18, 2005 22:26

I've discovered it by myself. I've replaced the b2evocore and admin-files, it didn't help. I tried changing the skins, it didn't help either.

When the error occurs, clicking on all permalinks category results in the error messages No posts to display. But closing the browser and restarting it solves the problem

As you haven't encountered any problems on my blog, maybe it's a local issue with my browser / my PC?

12 Sep 03, 2005 00:34

EdB wrote:

That makes it a Firefox issue right? BTW I could not duplicate your problem with Firefox 1.0.6 so maybe it's your version of Firefox?

Yesterday, surfing at the library, I encountered the same error with Interner Explorer. So it seems to be a temporary error that disappears when closing and restarting the browser

13 Nov 20, 2005 19:22

nomad, the problem are PHP session IDs.

you've said

In the search field, there was a strange combination of numbers.

and thats the problem.

b2evolution uses the "s" param when you enter a search. This is bad, because it's quite short and therefor likely to conflict with other apps that use the same param.

In this case it conflicts even with your (non-standard) PHP configuration of sessions.

You have session.use_trans_sid enabled in your php.ini and that causes PHP to append the session ID as GET parameter to all links.

The real issue is, that you have set session.name to just "s" (it's "PHPSESSID" by default).

Now, when someone clicks a link that got the session ID appended seamlessly by PHP b2evo considers it a search and searches for your current session ID, finding nothing of course.

Therefor "No posts to display".

There are two issues how b2evo should get improved:
- use a longer name for the search param
- display another message when search is on and nothing is found

The fix on your side is simple:
- turn sess.use_trans_sid off (this is also recommended because of security)
- do not set a session.name other then the default (or chose a longer one, that is unique)

I wonder though why you are using PHP sessions at all. Are you using them internally or could you just turn them off (not calling session_start())?

14 Nov 20, 2005 19:31

blueyed wrote:

nomad, the problem are PHP session IDs.
(...)

I wonder though why you are using PHP sessions at all. Are you using them internally or could you just turn them off (not calling session_start())?

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I can't modify the php-settings (shared hosting environment). But anyway, I do not use php-session-IDs and will never use them. So the error can't be related to that?

The error hasn't occured since the last time I've reported it here, maybe it was specific for some local server configuration at my hosting provider?

15 Nov 20, 2005 19:42

Can you upload a .php page that just contains "<?php phpinfo(); ?>" ?

Currently your domain is setting a session cookie that's called UID, but its value appears to be smaller than a php session ID.

17 Nov 20, 2005 20:12

This uses PHPSESSID as session_name and trans_sess_id is turned off.

This was probably use a temporary issue of your hosting provider.

Form is loading...