Recent Topics

1 Sep 22, 2005 19:57    

Just upgraded to the latest version dawn, and now people with comcast email can't post comments. It tells them their email is invalid.

Is this a bug or a spam thing?

3 Sep 22, 2005 20:44

Sorry, it's comcast.net emails that don't work. In fact you can't even put comcast.net in the comments, it says invalid string or something.

4 Sep 22, 2005 20:45

Thanks personman!

I am worried about this one though, because we've banned "comcast.net" even though it really is a real ISP site. I'm thinking we should've banned ".comcast.net" but how can anyone just know that when there are 14 reports saying comcast.net is a spammer?

FaerieWizard please followup and help us out here. Is it possible those who told you of this issue also did something else that may have caused the problem?

I also have to think about this comcast.net ban. I don't want to sit in judgment of other administrators unless the case is clear to unban something. In this case it's not clear. Hmmm...

5 Sep 22, 2005 20:46

comcast.net was in the blacklist, why i don't know. I didn't blacklist it from what I can recall.

Sorry

6 Sep 22, 2005 20:50

EdB, go ahead and change it to .comcast.net. That's probably what it should have been to begin with.

FaerieWizard, you'll have to unban it on your local blacklist. Let me know if you need help doing that.

7 Sep 22, 2005 20:56

Unbanning at the local level is easy. On your antispam tab tell it to show you the full list, then scroll down and click the green checkmark next to comcast.net.

I will alter that particular keyword in 3... 2... 1... okay it ain't that quick cuz I'm on a dialup. Coupla minutes and the world will be a better place.

8 Sep 22, 2005 22:03

The person who allerted me is not a known spammer, she is a friend. She couldn't use her comcast.net email address in the comment box all of the suddent

I tried my own comcast.net email address and it wouldn't work either. I then figured out it was blacklisted when i couldn't type comcast.net in the comment box.

9 Sep 22, 2005 22:19

I understand she ain't a spammer. The term should not have been banned, but was. Back in the day b2evolution didn't check email IDs against the blacklist, but now it does. BTW comment text is also scanned for banned words because spammers are notorious for finding ANY possible hole to exploit.

I've altered the keyword in the master copy, but you won't receive that benefit unless you dump your antispam table and start all over again. There's a hack for that on the plugins page if you're interested. The easiest solution for you is to simply unban that keyword on your antispam tab.

10 Sep 23, 2005 11:59

comcast.net is probably one of the top domain/network used by spammers even if it's a known isp :-(

11 Sep 23, 2005 15:04

Right, so .comcast.net should catch most of the spammers while letting the email addresses through.

Form is loading...