Recent Topics

1 Oct 20, 2005 11:42    

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but what the hey. I'm desiging my site with b2 in mind (of course) :) and I'm really wondering how I can turn some non b2 content into dynamically loading content.

My Problem :

I a have a main index page. Contains all my formating, styling, etc. When you first come to my site you'll see content on the left, content on top, and a b2 blog in the middle.

That's easy as pie. (haha I'm only saying this after spending many many hours getting the hang of b2)

But say someone clicks on "Latest Finds". It'll be styled much the same way as the main page. Except the blog is gone.

Now what I'd like to do is be able to edit just the main page, without having to edit the "latest finds" page as well. Since it'll get it's content from the main page or whatever file i specify and as the site grows I don't want to have to manually edit 50 plus pages you know?

From what I've managed to read so far , I know it's possible, I'm just utterly in the dark as to how. Keep in mind I'm a complete and total php newb. I copy/paste and fool around that's it. I don't even know how to write a php include which from what I gather would prolly solve my problem.

Any help out there?

2 Oct 20, 2005 17:49

It would be helpful to take a look at what you have already. Can you post a link to your site?

3 Oct 20, 2005 19:43

Thank you so much for the quick reply, the sites a little risque in nature so I'll pm you the url, but if there's a solution we can talk about it here. I'm sure alot of people especially clueless newbs like myself would love to know how to mix content.

4 Oct 20, 2005 20:58

I just found an answer all on my own hehe. I guess it was as easy as doing an include like I thought. for example for any other ultra newbs our strcit "designers only" like myself this is what you do.

1. Make a page with the content you'd like to include on your skin, say "sidebar.php" .

2. Go to the php file that has your blog or whatever page you want it on in the b2 enviroment and put in

<?php include ( 'sidebar.php'); ?>

making sure you uploaded the sidebar.php file in the right spot
and voila. you're done.

I'm so relieved I managed to figure this out , it'll save me more time than you can beleive.

ok you php experts can stop laughing now ;) hehe

5 Oct 20, 2005 22:07

I'm glad you figured out how to do what you need to do. Thanks for posting the solution back here.

Form is loading...