Recent Topics

1 Mar 02, 2006 17:17    

Hi, I'm trying to have a blog that looks more like a newspaper with limited lines on the front page and links to complete each on a separate page.

Basically I want sections of different topics show up and a few articles for each. Different people will contribute their own stories, and have their own reserved space.

Lets say, for arguments sake, that there are five categories with a limited number of lines listed for each story under each category and story. So that you can quickly get an idea of what's going on in these categories. If you find what you like you just follow the links.

Is this easily doable, maybe a skin exists that does this?

I'm not sure if blog s/w is the right way, though I like everything with the exception of allocating limited space/columns for each blogger, and other fixed links. The important part is that they have a fixed space/location where one can expect to find their stories.

The best description I can think of is a look similar to a newspaper.

Any ideas are appreciated!

2 Mar 02, 2006 19:24

What you're looking for can be covered with the "read more" button, which is actually "!M" in your back office. It is up to each of your bloggers to respect the fact that they should use this button, but what it'll do it provide a 'teaser' text on the blog page that will also be included in the full post (aka single post) page. You can, at the skin level, customize the 'read more' link text and the 'this is where you were' text on the single post page. In other words, you can have "continued" as the link and (nothing) on the single post page.

Easy as falling off a log.

3 Mar 02, 2006 19:47

Thanks,

I'm asking here as I' trying to avoid installing 20 different "bloggers" and spend hours on end only to realize it's not the solution for us. And I do appreciate you taking the time to reply!

The authors are VERY unsophisticated when it comes to computers. If they can mess up the page just because they forgot to press a button they will forget.

Is it possible for them to go back after having made the mistake and posted, to go back and during edit click on IM?

Do you know of any page where I can see how the preview thing works?

4 Mar 02, 2006 21:16

Assuming you give edit permission to each blogger then yes: they can go back and add an !M at the appropriate point. The downside to that is that if all bloggers have edit permissions in any given blog then all bloggers can edit each other's posts. It's a drawback to some and a benefit to others, but it's the way it is. In other words let's pretend you have a blog called (simply enough) blog. You have 5 bloggers who can post in 'blog', and all 5 have permission to edit posts. Each blogger can edit a post by ANY blogger. That is hackable, but not at the skin level. If you know your bloggers then it's a matter of integrity that they don't edit the work of another blogger. That might be easier than hacking core files.

As to an example, almost everything in [url=http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php]my hackblog[/url] uses the !M feature. Clicking the 'continued...' link will lead to the post's single post page where you will not see any 'this is where you left off' text. The second post on [url=http://demo.b2evolution.net/HEAD.php4/blogs/index.php?blog=2]the demo site[/url] shows the stock behaviour of the !M function. Note that the demo site is four steps beyond the latest publicly available release though the function of this feature hasn't changed.

Form is loading...