Recent Topics

1 Apr 18, 2006 13:54    

Hi,

I want to start a blog site which in te near future wil use subdomains. Looking for open source blogging software we looked at many projects. b2evolution is the one we would like to stick with because it seems to have, or wil get, everything we would like to do with blogging software.

My next step is installing but I believe after testing and reading this forum that the next release (now 1.6 alpha) would be the best option for me to install seeing that subdomainsupport and other features are better in this (comming) release.

The question is, should I wait for the official (maybe beta) release of 1.x. Or is it (semi) safe tot use the latest cvs (1.8 I believe) without having to change major things when an official release wil come out.

Is there any sight on phoenix going from alpha to beta in the near future?

Kind regards,
Michel

2 Apr 19, 2006 20:48

Hi,

Okay no answer yet, but reading [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=7542&highlight=email]this[/url]
made us decide to give it a try and it is looking good. Subdomains and all...

Next thing I wanted to try was blog by email. When testing the mailserver in the backend I got the message that /htsrv/getmail.php wasn't there.

Looking in the /htsrv dir it wasn't there but I do have one from 1.6 alpha. Should I give this one a go or should I wait for it to apear in CVS?

Their was some trouble reported in [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=6833]this[/url] message so maybe the devs took it out for a better look?

We are using [url=http://doc.b2evolution.net/b2evo_HEAD_snapshot.tgz]this tarball[/url] from [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=7667]this[/url] thread.

Thnx so far,

Michel

3 Apr 19, 2006 20:59

Welcome to the forum. :)

I've played around with subdomains in 1.6-alpha and it has a few bugs, but seems to work in general. Using CVS code for a production site is not recommended. In fact, my main site is still running the current stable version (0.9.1). I don't know for sure when the beta of 1.8 will be released, but I can say that when it is I'm going to upgrade and I'm sure it will blow all previous versions away. It may be possible to start with CVS and then smoothly upgrade to 1.8 later, but I don't know for sure. Don't be surprised if it breaks.

4 Apr 19, 2006 21:08

Hi Personman,

personman wrote:

Welcome to the forum. :)

thnx :D

blueyed promised :D :D :D in the first thread I mentioned above that nothing major would be added. :D

We realy wanted the subdomain function and in the 1.8 cvs version it is working like a charm. We've been looking the last couple of moths for open source blogging software that could do this.

Maybe it's because mod_rewrite is loaded on our server or not but just a few little tweaks in the index.php that goes in the subdomein root folder and it was working. Not life yet so we will have to wait and see if that goes well. :)

Hope the mail to blog feature wil come in because that's a realy "nice to have" but not a show stopper.

thnx,
Michel

5 Apr 19, 2006 22:28

Welcome mivaho, you're a good researcher.. :)

getmail.php is available in CVS, but the URL for testing the blog-by-email settings in the backoffice are wrong (because it has been from htsrv/getmail.php to cron/getmail.php).

There are 4 lines which include

' . $htsrv_url . 'getmail.php

in inc/VIEW/settings/_set_features.form.php.

You should be able to fix the test-links by changing each of this occurence to

' . $baseurl . 'cron/getmail.php

and replace

global $htsrv_url;

in the same file with

global $baseurl;

There's no $cron_url global yet and I'm not sure if it makes sense. I've added it to the todo list where we'll discuss this.

Re multiple domains: http://manual.b2evolution.net/MultipleDomains - please feel free to edit it if anything can be cleared out/get fixed there.

This is, how I've setup my family's blog at www.hahler.de

6 Apr 20, 2006 14:06

Hi,

blueyed wrote:

Welcome mivaho, you're a good researcher.. :)

Thnx :)

getmail.php is available in CVS, but the URL for testing the blog-by-email settings in the backoffice are wrong (because it has been from htsrv/getmail.php to cron/getmail.php).

Okay, made the changes you proposed. getmail.php is found now but I get an error "Connecting to pop server...
Connection failed: POP3 connect: Error [] [] " when I do a connection test.

Testing the mail account via webmail I can access it, so.....

Also, there is a mistake in the drop down menu where you can choose pop3 or pop3(experimental). It should be imap (instead of pop3 exprimental) i think because the error tells me "The php_imap extension is not available to php on this server." not that I want to use imap but just to let you know that needs to be looked at, the fact that the pop down shows 2 pop3 options. :-)

Re multiple domains: http://manual.b2evolution.net/MultipleDomains - please feel free to edit it if anything can be cleared out/get fixed there.

I don't want to mess up the text over there so I'll put what I did here.

We are on a dedicated server so things may differ on shared hosting. Also, we use Direct Admin as controle pannel so I will tell something you need to do in that as well.

---What we did to get subdomain support working in 1.8CVS---

First of all get the 1.8 CVS version of B2E working on de main domain ie. www.thisdomain.com.
Then, when you're on a dedicated server with Direct Admin panel like we are, don't create a subdomain in the panel because it just creates a subdirectory under the root of the main domain for your website and points to it as root dir, but it can also be found by entering the sub domain name after the root of the main domain. So let's say you have a subdomain called something.thisdomain.com it can also be found at www.thisdomain.com/something. If that's okay by you, fine, but it is not what we wanted.

Instead creat a new domain with the name of the subdomain, this way a new root dir is created and it can only be reached by pointing the browser at the subdomain and no other way. This is something we found out and I write it here so it can be found by people looking for an answer here. :)

The next thing we did was take a copy of the "index.php" file from the main B2E install and copy it to a central place where we could edit it.

The lines we needed to change were:

Line 20

require_once dirname(__FILE__).'/conf/_config.php';

line 22

require_once $inc_path.'_main.inc.php';

This needs to point to the _config.php and _main.inc.php in the main B2E install with an absolute path. So it now reads:

line 20

require_once '/home/resellername/domains/thisdomain.com/public_html/conf/_config.php';

Line 22

require_once '/home/resellername/domains/thisdomain.com/public_html/inc/_main.inc.php';

This, tweaked, index.php is copied in every root folder of every subdomain you use.

We didn't think of this, it was something someone on this forum wrote only we had to tweak the second line as well. So this is an adition to the original hack :D

In the backend of B2E create a new blog.
At the access parameters choose an absolute url and fill in "http://something.thisdomain.com/" don 't forget the trailing backslash. :)
Preferred acces type choose "automatic detection by index.php"

Other parameters on this form should be changed as you wish but the above is what we changed for the subdomain part.

As said, we are not live yet with this configuration so this is all based on internal testing with a few blogs active. So use it as you wish.

In the manual at the wiki that I qouted from blueyed his post it says that you need a htaccess file. We don't have a htaccess file and it works, but maybe in the live situation we wil find out that we do need one. :)

Ooh and mod_rewrite must be present and loaded on the server.

I hope I haven't forgotten something but me thinks this sums it up. :)

This is, how I've setup my family's blog at www.hahler.de

Just took a look and it works well. Hopefully we will be goin live in a few days, I will post it here.

Thnx for the tips,
Michel

P.s. my english stinks but it's not my native language so forgive me and edit were needed.

7 Apr 20, 2006 19:06

Damn. I'm getting an "Internal Server error" when trying to post what I've written.

So here's it in short:

Why do you need mod_rewrite, if you don't have a htaccess file that would use it?

Have you tested, if getmail.php works (besides the testing from the backoffice)? I've linked your post in the todo list, and will look into it later.

However, if you could provide a patch, that would be great, of course.. :)

8 Apr 20, 2006 20:31

Hi,

blueyed wrote:

Damn. I'm getting an "Internal Server error" when trying to post what I've written.

Yep, I had the same thing, by removing lines and previewing I found what causes the error to occur. When you put "dot"htaccess together phpBB gives an error. Probably for security reasons?

Why do you need mod_rewrite, if you don't have a htaccess file that would use it?

Yep, now you say it, it doesn't compute :) It says that on the wiki, about mod_rewrite, so I tought I'd mentione it as well.

Have you tested, if getmail.php works (besides the testing from the backoffice)? I've linked your post in the todo list, and will look into it later.

Will give that a go and report back later. :D

For the index.php for subdomains? And how does one make such a patch? :D Total nitwit on that front I must confess. :D

Michel

9 Apr 20, 2006 20:40

mivaho wrote:

Yep, I had the same thing, by removing lines and previewing I found what causes the error to occur. When you put "dot"htaccess together phpBB gives an error. Probably for security reasons?

I guess it's rather something like mod_security, because it's not PHP that gives that error, but Apache.

mivaho wrote:

For the index.php for subdomains? And how does one make such a patch? :D Total nitwit on that front I must confess. :D

For getmail.php (if it should not work).. :)

But don't bother, if you don't know how to do it. It was just a guess that it would mean something to you.. ;)

11 Apr 21, 2006 17:09

Hi,

Okay, totaly my bad.....
I presumed that choosing pop3 for getmail.php was sufficient. NOT.
It was the "(Defaults: pop3:110 imap:143)" remark behind the port number that made me think that you only had to fill in the port if it differd from the default pop3 port.

I did fill in the port number yesterday but I forgot to save before test. Taking a look in the settings table I saw that there was no port number, so I just filled it again and saved. The test was succesfull in the backend.

Now I will have to see if the post appears somewere.

Maybe there should be a remark line behind category that you should fill in the cat_ID?
And show which fields are mandatory?

[url=http://www.randsco.com/index.php/2005/04/06/posting_via_email]This[/url] helpt a lot. :D

Will keep you updated.

thnx,
Michel[/url]

12 Apr 21, 2006 17:23

Hi, me again, :D

Okay, tested after getting the structure of the post right.
Got the messages 2 times by pressing the [Messages] link in the backend. So the mail isn't deleted. In the link I posted above the tutorial says to turn of pingblo.gs but that's about 0.9x and I'm using 1.8cvs.

Further more I can see the email blog in the backend when I browse the blog but they don't apear on the website. Posting a blog manauly makes it apear so nothing going wrong there.

Hmmmm.... keep on testing.

thnx,
Michel

13 Apr 21, 2006 20:05

Hmmm, here I am again,

Okay strange things keep happening. Just took another look at the blog url where the mail blogs were supposed to apear. And voila, their they are. Getting the message again made it apear again on the blog. Beats me but by some magical thing it works now. pffffffff. :D

Only thing remaining now is that the mail is not deleted from the mail server, so if I put the getmail.php in cron now I wil have a lively blog with alot of duplicate posts :D So better not.... :D

Michel

14 Apr 21, 2006 20:26

Hi, getting bored with me yet? :D

While testing and looking at the backend my girlfriend (all credit goes to her) pointed out that the server time was off.

Looking at the email time we figured that this must have been the case with the email time being ahead of the server time. Sending another email message confirmed it.

I made a cron job and the servers polls a timeserver on the net every 6 hours now just to be on the save site :D

So the only remaining problem is the mail not getting deleted.

Will keep you posted if your not borred with me :D

Michel

15 Apr 21, 2006 20:38

Hi,

[SOLVED]

Looking in cron/getmail.php from line 350 up to 360 are the lines that delete the email, but it's remarked. So I removed the remark and it works.

Gnehehehehehe ;)

Michel

16 May 05, 2006 19:56

I should have just fixed all your discovered issues:
- The test url works, though /cron is supposed to not by inside the webserver's DocumentRoot. This is a design flaw, where I'm still waiting on a word from François
- The mail messages get deleted after being processed
- "POP3 (experimental)" is also POP3, but through the IMAP extension: I've renamed the setting's option accordingly
- If there's no port specified in the settings, it uses 110 now (as per the settings' note)

Form is loading...