Recent Topics

1 Jul 25, 2006 03:06    

Hey guys,

I know nothing on how to write these plugins or even how they work exactly, but i have an idea for one. i maintain a site that covers every kind of topic imagineable. one of those is music and cd reviews.

My idea is for for a plugin that would build a flash based audio player into the site.

example = if i posted a review of cd"x" i could also attach the cd in a playable but not downloadable format. i know there are ways for me to stream the audio and what not but i would love to able to do this.

The player i had in mine already exists

http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/

It would be a matter of selecting the music files and having it automatically write the play list.

If anyone is interested in helping with this or knows of an alternative please let me know

Thanks,

Chanse

2 Jul 25, 2006 21:53

How is everyone incorperating audio?

Or are they?

3 Jul 25, 2006 22:16

I can't imagine how this could be legal.....

If you can find a site that will let users incorporate their streams in their own sites, then post about it.

Although what i do is just use the youtube plugin to find a the video clip of one of the songs...

4 Jul 26, 2006 12:25

depending on what you stream, its not legal.

5 Jul 26, 2006 17:15

Yeh sure, but streaming a album...

Plus i think the recent versions of flash only load content from the same site, unless the remote site specificly says flashers can load their stuff...

But yeh, i don't see this plugin getting done...

Your best bet would be the youtube aproach, or do a artist/song/album search feature request in my last.fm plugin, although that would just redirect them to the last.fm site, but it would work...

6 Jul 27, 2006 17:03

The stream comes from files you own. The player refers back to files on your website server. So if i write a review about an album i own then post about it and provide a way for them to listen to the album but not download what's the problem. I'd be like you coming to my house and me playing it for you.i fail to see how that should be considered illegal

7 Jul 27, 2006 21:58

depending on what you stream, its not legal.

And guess what, streaming is NO different than downloading. There is NO legal distinction between the two.

None of that has anything to do with the plugin, though.

8 Jul 30, 2006 08:39

So if i were to play a song during a slide show on my site, That is against the law??!?!?!?

9 Jul 30, 2006 08:40

If the song is copyrighted and you don't have explicit permission of the author, then yes.

10 Jul 30, 2006 10:04

well crap....

Ok... If i wanted to put audio how would i do it. And how does youtube get away with streaming everything under the sun?

11 Jul 30, 2006 10:08

Well if it's copyrighted material you would need to get permission from the author, get licenses to play the content, or simple redirect to the streaming service on another site (like last.fm).

And youtube has a disclaimer saying we are not responsible for what you upload. In other news, the RIAA has been suing stacks of youtube users.

12 Jul 30, 2006 10:14

So if we put a disclaimer saying that it is the user's responsibility to obtain permission from the author then it would be ok?

Technically people could use this for their band's blog to upload a new album.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to find a solution.

13 Jul 30, 2006 10:20

balupton wrote:

If you can find a site that will let users incorporate their streams in their own sites, then post about it.

Just to clarify. I'm the only one that will bbe incorperating audio into the site. a random blog reader or even an authorized poster (?) won't be able to. The music would be stored in the blog under /media

Basically i would be doing what the flash program writers did, only with my own audio.

The link in the original post has a couple redirects for examples

This one is fun though:
http://www.sonicelementproductions.com/

14 Jul 30, 2006 10:31

CArringt wrote:

So if we put a disclaimer saying that it is the user's responsibility to obtain permission from the author then it would be ok?

If it's a multi-user blog just have a disclaimer saying, you take full responsibility for the content you submit. And then in your footer of your page say that the content of the posts are respective to their authors or whatever. But then again, no one is saying you would get busted...

CArringt wrote:

Technically people could use this for their band's blog to upload a new album.

Yeh sure. But couldn't a band just register an account with last.fm, and then post their material there, and just redirect to last.fm.

CArringt wrote:

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to find a solution.

Yeh sure :D

CArringt wrote:

The music would be stored in the blog under /media

Well that makes it a lot easier.

The plugin is a good idea, but most, if not all of the current developers don't have the time.

You could always start learning :D, And this plugin would be a good place to start ;)

I actually made my own flash media player a few years back, supports playlists etc, i can send you the source if you want.

But yeh, the scene could use more developers :D

15 Jul 30, 2006 22:05

ok well i'm always up for learning. I already have the flash player because of the open source project. i just have to learn how to create a plugin..... :-/

So where should i start?

I prefer something along the lines of "b2evolution plugin creation for dummies"

lol

I have no clue what i'm doing

16 Jul 31, 2006 01:00

ok well i'm always up for learning.

Great

i just have to learn how to create a plugin..... Confused
So where should i start?

Yeh, well the developers are also too busy to create a proper documentation ;)

http://manual.b2evolution.net/CreatingPlugin - that is the closest thing we have so far.

But plugins are really easy to pick up, if you have done OOP before.

Just read that page, have a look at the test_plugin and then keep posting in this forum with your questions :)

And when you learn something, add it to the wiki!

17 Aug 11, 2006 01:50

How hard is it to convert a plugin for WordPress to b2evo? Wordpress has a plugin already for this using the exact same flash player. here's a linkhttp://wp-plugins.net/plugin/xspf_player/

18 Aug 11, 2006 04:12

wordpress's plugin framework is horrible and poorly done.

For b2evo's plugin framework you just need a basic understanding of ObjectOrientated programing, and you should be fine. I think tutes and docs are emerging now to teach you how to write plugins for b2evo.

Form is loading...