Recent Topics

1 Jul 29, 2006 05:27    

Hi, Ive been using b2evo for a few months now and absolutely love it. Unfortunately I was forced to reinstall the OS onto the machine I normally accessed the blog back end from, and neglected to realise that I'd become reliant on fire fox's password remembering feature. Furthermore I musn't have put in an email address for the password reset.

Alas I'm now locked out of my own blog. Yeah, stupid, I know. Is there any way to retrieve the password from the sql db (which is located on a server in my room, to which I have full access), or is only a hash of it stored there? (or indeed, where is it stored, if not in the db?)

Is there a backup and restore script that I may run external to the blog software, which with a little modification, may allow me to reset the pw?

I realise this request for help sounds highly suspect, but I think the only solutions are possible to somone with physical access to the server, which in my case, shows my innocence :)

May I please have your opinions? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou.

If all else fails, a considerable amount of ctrl-c ctrl-v awaits :)

EDIT: I am running MySQL 4.1 and b2evolution-0.9.1b-2005-09-16

EDIT: Did a little more searching and came across potential solution-ness

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=6759&highlight=forgot+password

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=3790&highlight=forgot+password

2 Jul 29, 2006 05:58

What user name did you login with? Generally speaking User #1 is 'admin', and as far as I know admin has to have an email ID. I think all users have to have one. Anyway have you tried the "lost password" feature using 'admin' or whatever you know your username to be? BTW if you give it a completely bogus username it'll say the same thing as if you told it a real username, so the message "your password has been mailed to you" is what everyone who tinkers will see.

Do you not have access to the database? If for some reason your database has an email ID you can't get at then you'll have to do some tinkering inside the database. The easiest solution shown in the links you found is to change admin's email ID. The other is to change the password using MD5 to encrypt/hash it up.

3 Jul 29, 2006 06:07

Thanks for your tips. I fired up mysql for a poke around and found the db structure to be very user friendly indeed :)

A Look here, poke there, and all is well again.

Thanks for the quick response, but it wasn't until I used more benign search strings on the forum that I found what I was after :oops:

4 Jul 29, 2006 07:32

Make a new installation, set the admin account up with your desired password.

Then just copy the password hash from the new install's database to the old install's database....

Form is loading...