Recent Topics

1 Aug 04, 2006 17:45    

Crikey.

50 plus trackback spams within a couple of minutes with a cascade of emails arriving to tell me about it.

Seems the spammers have found a way round 1.8

I did take a look at one of the links. There system seems to copy the spammed post at their location - which is why the trackback is allowed to get through I guess.

Banned a few IPs and turned off trackbacks. But that's not an ideal system. I want to have trackbacks working.

Anyone else had trackback spam like this on 1.8 yet?

2 Aug 04, 2006 18:00

Yup. Immediately upon going to 1.8 and leaving trackbacks on. Trackbacks haven't changed at all since back in the day - so there should be no expectation that spammers are going to be slowed down or stopped from using that method.

I had a hack that worked in the 0.9.2 generation but haven't gotten around to revisiting it for 1.8, or seeing if it could be a plugin.

Sorry :(

3 Aug 04, 2006 18:26

Ah well. I suppose I'm lucky then to have none until now.

4 Aug 04, 2006 19:06

I'm re-doing hexaspammer at this very moment.

Yup - that's right. Part of me is replying to a thread here while one of my other personalities is busy hacking and slashing. Normally we use the same body, but this time I decided to create a virtual EdB with a virtual PC (and it's a pretty nice box - I'm jealous) to do either replying or hacking. It's hard at this point to tell which me is me and which me is him. Chances are the one that plans on running off a mountain and falling up is the real me, so I'll have it all figured out by tomorrow.

5 Aug 04, 2006 19:13

[offtopic]
The successful lemming wrote:

Chances are the one that plans on running off a mountain and falling up is the real me

I believe the expression I'm looking for is "giggling like a bitch" ;)

¥
[/offtopic]

6 Aug 04, 2006 22:51

Akeldama, are you using the basic antispam plugin and the option to check if there's a link to your site? or this that what you've meant with "the spammers have put up a site with the post's content"?

7 Aug 04, 2006 23:17

blueyed wrote:

Akeldama, are you using the basic antispam plugin and the option to check if there's a link to your site? or this that what you've meant with "the spammers have put up a site with the post's content"?

Yes I am using that option. That's why I thought I was safe until now. Not had any spam since 1.8 was launched. The Spammers seem to have duplicated the posts spammed on their site.

Here's one of their links:

bdgraham.ford-expedition.info/archives/Preston-Boozers-Told.php

They're are not all from this domain, but numerous ones with similar URL structures.

8 Nov 18, 2006 13:46

I have basic antispam, captcha, and aksimet plugins installed and I still get trackback spam.

So I think you are right the spammers have found a way round 1.8.5

9 Nov 18, 2006 17:39

captcha_img_plugin does not protect trackbacks in 1.8.x.. I'll release a new captcha plugin when 1.9 is out.

Form is loading...