Recent Topics

1 Aug 13, 2006 03:52    

Found this as WP pluginn.
http://www.headzoo.com/alinks
Maeby it's do-able to convert it to b2evo plugin ?

I"m realy missing EdB's hack.

2 Aug 16, 2006 14:26

Wow there is ALOT of code in that...

I personally don't see the point, maybe if the links gave you revenue then yeh...

But if you keep nagging Yabba to do it, he might ;)

3 Aug 16, 2006 14:37

Balupton,
My blog is not a 'normal' blog
it's a daily updated encyclopedia
And almost all posts are linking to each other.
So what I want, need, it a backoffice table where I can check the posts that I want into my alink table and/or put in words and links and when I use those words in a post, they get rendered and linked automaticaly.

EdB wrote something for 0.9.2 and that was a wonderfull thing.
But like he said allready, now in the pluginn period, we need to use plugins..

Since it was existing for WP allready, ..
(I realy have no clue how mutch different WP plugin code is from b2evo plugin code.. so I have no idea how easy diffucult it is to port such things over...

4 Aug 16, 2006 14:41

Wordpresses plugin framework is.... well let's say it's a bit better than what a city would look like after a hurricane passed through it...

Would porting EdB's work over to a plugin be possible?

5 Aug 16, 2006 14:45

Well, I'm still counting on EdB
But he is busy at the moment with 'life'.. and I'm so pleased for him that he can do that.

I'll wait for it...
Eventually somebody will have the same needs as I do ;)

6 Aug 16, 2006 18:38

If you wanna be a crash test dummy, I can send you a plugin that works in a sorta similar way?

It allows you to add "tags" to your posts (you can choose to show them or not), and then will show a list of related posts below each tagged post.

It sorts the list into nearest to furthest matches and you can limit the number of related posts to show in the list.

It doesn't link specific words within a post like that plugin does (although I'm sure I've got one somewhere that I started that does ...... or EdB has, one of the two)

Anyway, let me know and I'll send it you.

¥

7 Aug 16, 2006 19:00

Ooh yes for this I want to to be crash tst dummy because this is realy something I want, I'll use, I need, I...

Please send it over and I'll crashtest till you can't sleep anymore

(btw, I'm very good in crashtesting you know ;) )

8 Aug 17, 2006 20:57

HELP!!!

The original plugin was very simple: it searched the content for a keyword and turned it into a link. I copied it from Isaac's "auto acronym" plugin which searched the content for a keyword and turned it into an acronym. The purpose (to me) was to facilitate linking to your friend's webs as you mention them in your post - something I saw a lot of blogs doing. I never thought of it as a revenue stream thing, but then again I don't think of the web that way. For me I liked it when I automagically linked to hang gliding clubs when I mentioned the club or a site. I also liked the auto-acronym thing for when I mention a term that's very HG-oriented so the groundbound readers of my blog (yeah: both of them) could have a little more info about whatever I was ranting on.

Anyway I can't make it happen in the new plugin system. I'm a hack. I see something sort of like what I want, or something that makes me go "aha!" and I tweak it to be something different. So if this is ever gonna happen it'll be because someone like balupton or yabba or blueyed decided to give it a go.

The drawback with the original, and the reason I can't make what it should be next time, is that you had to edit and upload the plugin each time you wanted to add a new link (or acronym). What Topanga asked for, and others by the way, was a plugin that you could add or remove auto-linkage via the back office. Makes sense eh? I can't do it. I could probably do it as "edit the plugin to add or remove auto-linkage" but that's old-school.

In a perfect world you would have a choice (via the back office of course) to add auto-links and auto-acronyms from the same plugin. Whatever! Someone else needs to make this happen because I can't.

Sorry Topanga :'( I know you like this one, and I know I promised, but I can't do it and won't pretend that somehow I'll magically learn how.

9 Aug 17, 2006 21:46

a confused haxer wrote:

The drawback with the original, and the reason I can't make what it should be next time, is that you had to edit and upload the plugin each time you wanted to add a new link (or acronym). What Topanga asked for, and others by the way, was a plugin that you could add or remove auto-linkage via the back office. Makes sense eh? I can't do it. I could probably do it as "edit the plugin to add or remove auto-linkage" but that's old-school.

Awuh? Why?
How does this thing actually work or how do you plan on making it work?
I would imagine it would just be like firefox search extensions or whatever, find a keyword, and add a link to it... so http://wiki.com/my%20word ....

But seems that Yabba is already making his own, so why worry?

10 Aug 17, 2006 22:33

balupton wrote:

Awuh? Why? How does this thing actually work or how do you plan on making it work? I would imagine it would just be like firefox search extensions or whatever, find a keyword, and add a link to it... so http://wiki.com/my%20word ....

But seems that Yabba is already making his own, so why worry?

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=3315&highlight=linkaword is the original plugin. I haven't looked at the WP plugin so I can't comment on it, but , reading the groovy image text at the bottom of the page Topanga linked, it has a lot more bells than my little plugin had.

IF I knew what I was doing it would be a plugin that added a table and a tab. Probably use the plugin properties page instead of a subtab on the tools tab, but either way a back-office way to add or remove linked keywords. That's all I wanted to do. No customizable css. No keyword linking limits. None of the fancy stuff Topanga's link decided needed to be an image. Just "if I type blahblahblah it will link to blahblahblah.net" or whatever.

That's it.

Nothing fancy.

No clouds.

No tags.

No technorati.

No web 2.0.

No ajax.

No comet or clorox either.

Just an easy way to automagically link certain words to specific URLs.

The reason for my post is very simple: I said I'd do it and I can't. Therefore I felt obligated to state rather clearly "I can't do this simple damned thing so someone else should give it a go".

11 Aug 17, 2006 22:50

EdB, don't feel embarassed, sorry, pitty, .. whatever
I knew allready you could't do it because of a lot of reasons that I completely understand.

But that gave me the opportunity to ask for more ;)
To ask the thing with all the bells and wissles.. indeed to come across of somebody with the same needs...

I can't code, I wont even pretend that I can.
I can read the them thing and copy paste... ;)

But now that I know that's its not just 'tweak' a plugin from WP into b2evo, ...

I still am very eager for such a thing dough! ;)

Form is loading...